Why no colony pics?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just starting to get into some sps but I’m having a really hard time finding some colony pics from online vendors. Wouldn’t it be a very simple process to have a picture of the frag along with the mother colony it was cut from? Is this something we as hobbyist could get retail shops to do? I know some do it but not a select few that I have been looking at.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some retail shops don't even know what a colony is or stands for.

I bought a frag from a vendors live sale on here at one point and when I asked for a pic of the mother colony, which you would assume they had since they are selling frags from said "We don't have a colony" it left a bad taste in my mouth and haven't bought from them again.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some retail shops don't even know what a colony is or stands for.

I bought a frag from a vendors live sale on here at one point and when I asked for a pic of the mother colony, which you would assume they had since they are selling frags from said "We don't have a colony" it left a bad taste in my mouth and haven't bought from them again.
Yeah see that’s what I mean! I would understand if they said one of a kind or something but at the same time then don’t put a name on it.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy corals that have been around for a long time and you can google colony pictures on the net in actual reefer's tanks. That is probably close to 100 acros to choose from.

If you don't do this you open yourself to buying chopped up wild or mari-cultured frags. There is no colony because they chopped it all up. These are likely to have a low survival rate as well.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy corals that have been around for a long time and you can google colony pictures on the net in actual reefer's tanks. That is probably close to 100 acros to choose from.

If you don't do this you open yourself to buying chopped up wild or mari-cultured frags. There is no colony because they chopped it all up. These are likely to have a low survival rate as well.
Ed is spot on. If there's no mother, you are buying from a chop shop. I post pics of my mothers and a pic of a frag in my cut to order pages. I am always happy to send pics of my mothers for anyone who is considering buying from me.

Fish4udog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy from Big E ,Ed has frags and can send you colony pictures as well has beautiful corals

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy colonies from my LFS. No chopping here.
4A1E89D8-A8D2-4B29-B470-7B9FAAD4A418.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a LFS selling colonies like that I would definitely be very happy! Although I would want little frags so I could watch them grow lol.
I prefer frags as well. But I do like being able to choose directly from a mother.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy colonies from my LFS. No chopping here.
4A1E89D8-A8D2-4B29-B470-7B9FAAD4A418.jpeg
Those look like very nice Maricultured pieces. Are those yours or are they at your LFS? If they are yours, how long have you had them? The reason I ask is that Maricultured and wild pieces like those can be very difficult for long term success. By long term I mean at least a year.

Tannermule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell a lot of frags. I like to always show the mama picks when I do. My little homegrown website has a colony collection section of a few of my colonies because I absolutely agree with you. More vendors should do that.
20210503_151909.jpg
20210503_151716.jpg
20210503_151515.jpg
20210503_151007.jpg
20210503_151616.jpg
20210503_150902.jpg
Whats your website and do you ship? I'm looking to get into acros as well. I requested pics of mother colonies from vendors in the past and got some, but most just said the largest they let them get is 5-6 in between fragging.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like very nice Maricultured pieces. Are those yours or are they at your LFS? If they are yours, how long have you had them? The reason I ask is that Maricultured and wild pieces like those can be very difficult for long term success. By long term I mean at least a year.
My LFS. You’re right, they don’t have a high survival rate. Oddly, fragging them seems to be the best way to keep long term. If you can get them to encrust and grow, the chances of keeping long term are much higher. I lost a WD colony after about 2 months. It didn’t grow or anything and then started to STN. Also, a friend and I went 50/50 on a home wrecker. He killed it before I got my half. But the Milles do quite well compared to the designer pieces.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, most vendors don't have colonies... never really have. Once they can frag, they sell something. They are not hobbyists and are trying to make money, not grow stuff. This is one reason, among many, why I caution people to NEVER try and emulate what a vendor does in their tanks - if you must follow somebody, pick a good hobbyist and not BRS, WWC, Jason Fox or some other vendor does. Even hobbyists that cut and sell a bunch have different goals than you do.

Back