Why No Reef-Safe Ich treatment?

drodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Polyp Lab Medic to treat a tang with ich when I first set up my reef. The fish recovered and the corals were fine. You just add dose every day (I think it was twice a day) for a couple weeks. I saw no ill effects at all and the fish fully recovered.

Thereefingreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success with metroplex..I would mix 2 of the spoons it comes with in a small cup with a couple tablespoons of rodi water..mix good till dissolved almost then would add in my dry food selection..like jumbo krill,blood worms,plankton,etc...give it a couple mins to soak up...then feed to the fish...you can store the leftovers in freezer..repeated this every few days for a couple months the length of the life cycle of ich..which is a long time!!! So stay vigilant..fish that are fed n eat alot tend to fight off disease better then ones that are under fed n bad husbandry..p.s tried rally n kick it with some success but definitely messed with some of my softies n anemones shriveled up for days...my 2cents..

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I bet your crabs and urchin hate you. :eek:

We can cure ich just like we can keep ourselves relatively safe from bacteria diseases if we stay on antibiotics for the rest of our life. Of course that would cause all sorts of other problems.
When the hobby started we used to keep copper in our tanks continuously, and we had no ich. Our fish were never real healthy because the copper gave them other things. Eventually human doctors learned to allow us to use our own immune system to protect us from most diseases and eventually most people in this hobby will learn how to use the fishes immune system to protect them from ich. Many older hobbiests already learned about this.
Good luck and I hope your urchin starts talking to you. :rolleyes:
Copper is being removed now so he won't be suffering anymore. Strange as it is.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the tank settle. Too much activity going on. I did that with a powder blue and brown. I let them fight it out and they both survived.
How long term did they make it? Are they still alive? I've attempted this with dozens this is why I ask.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only product I know that really does work on Ich is No-Ick by FishVet. The only inverts that need to be removed before use are hermit crabs and shrimp. When I owned my reef specialty shop I used to rescue Ich-invested fish from other stores and treat them with No-Ich. It saved the lives of many a fish. Good product.

RichieBag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using polyp labs medic right now. It is working great for me. I'm at day 10 with no signs. Minimum dose was 1 scoop per 50 gallons. Max is 3 per. I'm using two right now. It says for 10-20 days to dose once in morning before lights and at night when they go out. I like this system best because you can still use your skimmer the entire time and it doesn't go nuts. I used another brand before that you would have to shut the skimmer off and the tank just didn't run or look good for the three days I was able to hold out for. Then I found medic and again working amazing. I will know for sure if the ich is gone once I add a powder brown tang that's currently in quarantine. He will be getting added in about 10 days.

nosmok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Does not work. I talked with Poly Lab during my treatment. Shut off UV and skimmer and took out carbon. I also did 3 or 4 times the recommended dose. Three bottles later, it did not do a single thing.
I tried polyplab Medic and metronidazole laced feeding and never cleared my Ich. I did damage my Scoly's and Acans though!

RichieBag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to most science, no. It concentrates on the fish health and Immune system I believe.

They concentrates on the free floating cycle of the parasite and tries to kill it then. At least that's what all the "reef safe" cures claim. I would recommend polyp lab medic to everyone. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They concentrates on the free floating cycle of the parasite and tries to kill it then. At least that's what all the "reef safe" cures claim. I would recommend polyp lab medic to everyone. It's pricey but well worth it in my opinion.
its the how it kills only them and not everything else part no one seems to understand.

Michael Cooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bevo5 My Atlantic Boue Tang had Ich for a few months when I finally decided to try Polyplab Medic because there was no way I was catching him or him surviving in a QT. I did the full treatment with the max amount of dosing and after the 20 days I didn't see any improvement. But after a few weeks my tang was completely free of Ich. So the product definitely works, didn't damage/hurt any of my corals, just need patience. Check out my Instagram @coopsreeftank and you'll see all the updates and progress I posted throughout the treatment. But I live and die by Polyplab products, so I highly recommend trying out Medic. Again, be patient.

Pat's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put one or more neon gobies in the tank. They are cleaners and will literally eat the parasites right from the infected fish. I have always added one at the first signs and have never lost a fish to it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bevo5 My Atlantic Boue Tang had Ich for a few months when I finally decided to try Polyplab Medic because there was no way I was catching him or him surviving in a QT. I did the full treatment with the max amount of dosing and after the 20 days I didn't see any improvement. But after a few weeks my tang was completely free of Ich. So the product definitely works, didn't damage/hurt any of my corals, just need patience. Check out my Instagram @coopsreeftank and you'll see all the updates and progress I posted throughout the treatment. But I live and die by Polyplab products, so I highly recommend trying out Medic. Again, be patient.
That's interesting. Thank you so much

I would have to assume its like a light bug dip(peroxide for example) on a zoa nudi infestation. you have to dip the live ones, wait, dip again, dip again. And dip again.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put one or more neon gobies in the tank. They are cleaners and will literally eat the parasites right from the infected fish. I have always added one at the first signs and have never lost a fish to it.
Interesting too. There aren't enough parasite eaters in most tanks Imo. Theres a lot in the wild. I think all bugs eat all other bugs, and bug eggs and many fish make a living at it too. My fish are all pickers.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What you actually saw was the life cycle of ich. It drops off the body, leaving the fish to appear "cured" which of course it isn't. But in the mean time, he's building a temporary resistance to it that will allow him to live a while longer (perhaps months even) without showing much of a sign at all since it concentrates in the gills of the fish. Polyplab doesn't cure ick... it's a bandaid or a way to practice "ick management" with a little more help. I'm glad your fish is doing ok though! Great news for you!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you actually saw was the life cycle of ich. It drops off the body, leaving the fish to appear "cured" which of course it isn't. But in the mean time, he's building a temporary resistance to it that will allow him to live a while longer (perhaps months even) without showing much of a sign at all since it concentrates in the gills of the fish. Polyplab doesn't cure ick... it's a bandaid or a way to practice "ick management" with a little more help. I'm glad your fish is doing ok though! Great news for you!
What is you bases, just for decision?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back