Why use chaeto?

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, this may seem like a silly question since i have had chaeto running now since i bought a small piece online after my cycle, but why do we use chaeto? What does it help chemistry wise? I put it in as fuge material to hopefully have a copepod bloom and breeding ground for them. It is doing well, after 3 months in waterbox back chamber with a grow light on the back shining in, its almost filled the entire chamber. I hear it is supposed to help with nutrient levels such as po4 and such. After my Friday water change I am sitting at .08 ppm is that good or bad(will admit i am a bit fuzzy on if i want 0 ppm or some small reading. nitrates are 10-20ppm and i know those are the 2 things i really want to watch. Currently just pair of clowns and bta. Just looking to expand my brain a bit here lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes nitrate and phosphate from a tank and is tunable (stronger light or more hours of light = faster nitrate and phosphate removal)

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes nitrate and phosphate from a tank and is tunable (stronger light or more hours of light = faster nitrate and phosphate removal)
So if i leave the grow light on more than just during the night it would help my nitrate and phos more? I worry that 10-20 nitrate is bad and not sure about the .08 ppm phos

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.08 ppm phos is right on target. 10-20 nitrates is a bit high but you anemone probably thanks you for it. How often are you harvesting the chaeto? You need to take some out periodically to allow it to grow more and so it uses up more nutrients.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it growing since i got it about jan 25th. did not know i need to cut some, thought if it got bigger it would use more to keep growing like freshie plants. First time using it lol. So i should trim it a bit?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it growing since i got it about jan 25th. did not know i need to cut some, thought if it got bigger it would use more to keep growing like freshie plants. First time using it lol. So i should trim it a bit?
Yes I would. I harvest about a third every month. If you know other people in the area that needs some it is easy to give away. Otherwise, just pitch it.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer tetraselmis phytoplankton waaay ahead of chateo
I do use some sort of phytoplankton just not sure which. i got it from a reefer here on the forums when i bought some pods. I dose about 5ml every few days. I must admit my glass algae is a lot less considering im blasting my ai hd16 full power for 8 hrs.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if i leave the grow light on more than just during the night it would help my nitrate and phos more? I worry that 10-20 nitrate is bad and not sure about the .08 ppm phos

That is correct. 10-20 nitrate isn't bad. I keep my nitrate at about 12. 0.08ppm phos is a little on the higher end of the safe range but isn't terrible. Just remember that 0.00 is worse for both.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. 10-20 nitrate isn't bad. I keep my nitrate at about 12. 0.08ppm phos is a little on the higher end of the safe range but isn't terrible. Just remember that 0.00 is worse for both.
I keep reading .04 is ideal for my end goals of some corals is this correct?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading .04 is ideal for my end goals of some corals is this correct?

Between 0.03 and 0.1 is usually safe for phosphates. Below that you risk hitting 0 and dinos, above that range you risk slower coral growth and algae issues.

Nitrate is much more flexible, but I prefer 5-15.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between 0.03 and 0.1 is usually safe for phosphates. Below that you risk hitting 0 and dinos, above that range you risk slower coral growth and algae issues.

Nitrate is much more flexible, but I prefer 5-15.
so what could i do to lower it more to that range, nitrate? I have chemipure in there and will be replacing it as soon as new one comes, carbon and filter pad i change every 2 weeks to month and then my fuge of chaeto and marine pure blocks. I ordered some media bags and gfo but im still reading about that as not sure how to do it. Which would be best bet for nitrate? I do weekly 5g water changes of the 20g tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what could i do to lower it more to that range, nitrate? I have chemipure in there and will be replacing it as soon as new one comes, carbon and filter pad i change every 2 weeks to month and then my fuge of chaeto and marine pure blocks. I ordered some media bags and gfo but im still reading about that as not sure how to do it. Which would be best bet for nitrate? I do weekly 5g water changes of the 20g tank.

The chaeto can take it down. You can always get a different light for the chaeto. As I mentioned before, refugiums are tunable, stronger light or longer light periods = more waste products removed.

Or, you can do an extra 5 gallons one week assuming that nitrate is stable with your usual 5 gallon changes once a week. Again, the level your nitrates are at is fine so long as you have good flow, steady alk, etc.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a R2R keyword search
I know of your thread and many others. And I know of Dana measuring it’s success at nitrate. I have cultured my own phyto for quite some time now. I asked for a source on it being better at nitrate and phosphate reduction than chaeto. Do you have one or no?

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone's mentioned cheato is just a sponge for nitrate, once you harvest the cheato then your exporting nitrate

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back