Wildlife near you :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was out fishing yesterday off the coast of california coming out of marina del rey about 10 miles out almost in international waters and we hit a rocky patch as we were drifting and started to catch rockfish, threw them back, the ones whose swim bladder took longer or just died drew this little guy in and he 'attacked' our boat and nudged it lol. He got in a fight or something as tendons or something was growing without skin. We couldn't tell if it was a blue shark or a thresher shark do to some of the damage and it still being young. It was a blue/purple mixture in color. Ended up eating two fish, circling us and going under us for 15 minutes then left. Wish I got video of it eating, excuse the vertical filming then flipping, was shocked when I first started filming and then when trying to correct it my phone was like 'no' we are staying vertical lol

View attachment 20200823_113206.mp4
View attachment 20200823_113323.mp4

Neither blue nor thresher ... that's a young mako shark.

We encountered one just a couple of weeks ago, off Rhode Island - the pointed, conical snout, stout body, heterocercal (lobes pretty close to the same size, top and bottom) tailfin with caudal keels on either side are keys for identification.

Beautiful animal, but this one is just little - one or two years old.

Parasitic copepods trailing from their fins are pretty common.

~B.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither blue nor thresher ... that's a young mako shark.

We encountered one just a couple of weeks ago, off Rhode Island - the pointed, conical snout, stout body, heterocercal (lobes pretty close to the same size, top and bottom) tailfin with caudal keels on either side are keys for identification.

Beautiful animal, but this one is just little - one or two years old.

Parasitic copepods trailing from their fins are pretty common.

~B.
Still going for Thresher:
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.38.29 PM.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice colors,nasty lil sucker,attack gardner :p
V__B5B7.jpg V__7A1C(1).jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and other Floridians have shared these, but this guy was rather low on the tree and I was able to get a pretty decent cell phone shot of him.

20201005_122048.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife took this one this morning. Pair of turkey vultures. That outbuilding you see below? My chicken coop is under that awning. TurkeyVultures.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had pictures to share! My whole life has been spent outside exploring the forest near my home for things. I've found gigantic skinks, anoles, spiders and just about as many frogs as one could imagine! One time when I was about 5 or so, I caught an 8-9" bullfrog! There are many amazing treefrogs around here as well (Copes Gray has to be my favorite) and birds of prey are everywhere due to our chickens. The mountains near my area are some of the prettiest places I've seen, coated in mosses and lichens and crawling with everything alive!
Sorry I don't have any pics to share. I will bookmark this thread and share some next I get the opportunity!

Back