Will I ever find this fish again ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What fish were easy for you to find that are no longer easy to find and you wish were available?

I personally would like to see the return of Potters angel, and Chevron tangs.
I fear if EVER Hawaii lifts the ban, these fish will be sold as gold with ridiculous pricing. . . Because they are from Hawaii.

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not easy to find, you could still find them…Potter’s Leopard Wrasse.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish were easy for you to find that are no longer easy to find and you wish were available?

I fear if EVER Hawaii lifts the ban, these fish will be sold as gold with ridiculous pricing. . . Because they are from Hawaii.
I have a few but my top 10 are;
Apolemichthys arcuatus - Bandit Angels
Anampses chrycosephalus - Red Tail Tamarin Wrasse
Coris venusta - Elegant Coris Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus jordani - Flame Fairy Wrasse
Halichoeres ornatissimus - Ornate Wrasse
Pseudojuloides cerasinus - Small tail Pencil Wrasse
Canthigaster jactator - Hawaiian Spotted Toby Puffer
Genicanthus personatus - Personatus Angelfish
Pseudojuloides edwardi - Mombasa Pencil Wrasse
Bodianus sanguineus - Sunrise Hogfish
And one extra, Macropharyngodon geoffroyi or the Potter’s Leopard Wrasse.

Not all of these were easy to find when we were able to get them but they’ve become impossible to get unless someone breaks down their tank or had got their the week before Hawaii shut.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a few but my top 10 are;
Apolemichthys arcuatus - Bandit Angels
Anampses chrycosephalus - Red Tail Tamarin Wrasse
Coris venusta - Elegant Coris Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus jordani - Flame Fairy Wrasse
Halichoeres ornatissimus - Ornate Wrasse
Pseudojuloides cerasinus - Small tail Pencil Wrasse
Canthigaster jactator - Hawaiian Spotted Toby Puffer
Genicanthus personatus - Personatus Angelfish
Pseudojuloides edwardi - Mombasa Pencil Wrasse
Bodianus sanguineus - Sunrise Hogfish
And one extra, Macropharyngodon geoffroyi or the Potter’s Leopard Wrasse.

Not all of these were easy to find when we were able to get them but they’ve become impossible to get unless someone breaks down their tank or had got their the week before Hawaii shut.
These are hard ones

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wild clowns. These clowns now a days are too frankenstein'ish.
Wild clowns more apt to disease such as brook. Tank raised are the ones you want

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild clowns more apt to disease such as brook. Tank raised are the ones you want
I personally want to try out the Amphiprion omani or Amphiprion latifasciatus as they’re beautiful with that fork tail but unfortunately due to Oman only recently opening and the Latis being rarely imported, it’s unlikely they’ll be CB.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$80 yellow tangs (wild caught go for $500-$600; even the captive bred are over $250...)
You get wilds for that much?!
There’s a beautiful wild caught 5-6” yellow from a breakdown at my LFS and it only goes for the equivalent of $375.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely still get wild clownfish. Just need to ask the lfs to order/pick up some from distributors since many still carry them.
Potters angel and Flame wrasse have to easily be my top picks for unavailable fish now.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get wilds for that much?!
There’s a beautiful wild caught 5-6” yellow from a breakdown at my LFS and it only goes for the equivalent of $375.
A few months ago a pair of consignment yellow tangs went for $600 each. A healthy (wild-caught) 3-4" yellow tang goes for $500+. Larger ones even more...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago a pair of consignment yellow tangs went for $600 each. A healthy (wild-caught) 3-4" yellow tang goes for $500+. Larger ones even more...
What's even crazier than the price is the fact that people are willing to pay that for them...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, if I had a 6’ tank I’d be stealing that yellow. I usually hate them but this specimen is stunning. The same LFS also gained a 9-10” purple tang that must be the size of a dinner plate now from the same tank break down. It shocks me when people say their tangs (the same species) only make out at 5-6” as that makes me think they’re stunted.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did remember Jake from Biota went on a livestream with Mark (melevsreef) a while ago at the beginning of the year, and he hinted that Biota might be releasing Captive Bred Potter's Angels towards the end of the year. I'm not sure if there's been any updates since but he mentioned they're working with someone who's been doing those and the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse iirc

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those being captive bred would be an amazing thing. I wouldn't mind paying the premium particularly for the cleaner wrasse since hopefully that means it acclimates well in captivity.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those being captive bred would be an amazing thing. I wouldn't mind paying the premium particularly for the cleaner wrasse since hopefully that means it acclimates well in captivity.
Second the hawaiian. Saw one a few months ago at a LFS from a tank breakdown, it wasnt for sale sadly :(.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kind of og old school and when I read how my fellow Reefers are pining for Hawaii’s fishes I get some deep seated stirring thoughts about how easy those fishes could be extracted from the Hopalufadodahlamalsms sabafthani preserve (I don’t think I spelled it correctly but I don’t want folks to know where I want to go fishing). It seems ridiculous that we cant enjoy a few good reef fish again. The entire Pacific Ocean is overrun with fishes and how come the hobby can’t have a few?

There’s no good reason for it and I want to make it happen for everyone that doesn’t live in Hawaii and eat these things for lunch every day. Yo ho, let’s go to Hawaii and rescue those fish from Hookie luau!
Book me now Hawaii fishing tournament

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back