Will it make a difference?

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone. I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I've had a 25g Waterbox peninsula for over a year now (will be 2 years in May 2023).
I am looking to upgrade to a redsea reefer; however, it wouldn't be anything too large due to cost and space. I was looking at the Redsea reefer 200 and 250.

Initially, I was going to go with the 250 but it's a lot - both ways... price and water volume.
Now I want to go with the red sea reefer 200 G2. It has a display water volume of 42g and has dimensions of 24 x 22 x 21 (LWH)... it has a sump of 11g making total volume 53g. The display is close to that of a cube. *are cubes good for reefs? Are they hard to scape?

Current waterbox peninsula is 25g, and has dimensions of 15.7x 23.6 x 15.7 (LWH)... *not to mention it is an All in one system* it's very cramped.

Is it worth the upgrade? Would I generally have more room for corals? My elegance is huge (expands to over 7") and would love to make more room for it. Currently, it's being crammed in a corner of my 25g...

Really want to know if it is worth the upgrade or if I should sell all together. Would a sump make the tank more stable? Would evaporation be easier to deal with? Can it go for longer by itself if needed?

Please let me know what you think! Thank you!!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 15.7 x 23.6 to
22 x 24

You get ~1.4 times the footprint, or 40% more space. With an elegance on the ground the increased space will likely fill in fairly quickly with just the corals you have spreading out in the extra space.

People set up reef flats with greater surface aread/ footprint so there is more room for corals (imo).

More gallons make stability easier, ime. Evaporation always has to be replaced, having an ato and rodi at home solve most of those challenges

Highly recommend figuring out the largest tank (foot print & gallons) you can fit in your floorspace and look for someone exiting the hobby that has a system that matches your situation. That's a good way to reduce the cost of tanks, stands, and other equipment, ime. hth.

lion giraffe GIF

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look in to the RS 300 I just picked that tank up for a seahorse tank but the project will have to wait now for 18 months. grrr

anyway i would pause and really think about what you want. how much you can afford and max space you've got swaping out tanks is a pain. so now that you have your "feet wet" buy once cry once tpye of thing.

that said I am a fan of peninsula tanks you can them look great of you have the space for on in your home I would say go for it.

OP
OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. I know that either way I go, it will be a good upgrade from my current 25g peninsula. But like @Devaji mentioned, I want it to be a buy once, cry once, kind of thing. I know what I'm getting myself into. I know what I can and can't handle. And most of all, I know what to expect.

@KrisReef, thanks for calculating that. Never thought to do that haha. Had the same thoughts. I don't want something that my corals will grow out in another year given their already fair size. I looked at used but have sketch feelings about it? I rather buy a new G2 reefer and take it from there - at least I'll be covered on all ends you know?

I think I'm going to ditch the reefer 200 and go with the 250. 25g to a 53g display along with a 11g sump.... I'd say that's pretty nice. The 250 is 35.43 x 19.7 x 20.86
Much bigger than the 200 and a lot more growth room for corals lol.

What's everyone's opinion on the RSR 250?

OP
OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the quote first....
@Devaji - what peninsula would you recommend around the same price roughly?

Guess the quote never worked... read the reply above first

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the quote first....
@Devaji - what peninsula would you recommend around the same price roughly?

Guess the quote never worked... read the reply above first
ok you got a few options let me spend your hard earned money...

if you would feel more comfy just working with a bigger AIO check out these:

~WB 50.3 AIO https://waterboxaquariums.com/collections/aquariums/products/aio-50-3-peninsula

~WB 65.4 AIO https://waterboxaquariums.com/collections/aquariums/products/aio-65-4-peninsula

I have never had an AIO that large at that size one would want to use a skimmer not sure there is a good one that will fot those AIO. but it's an option.

summped options:

~WB marine X 3620 https://waterboxaquariums.com/collections/aquariums/products/marine-x-peninsula-4821
peninsula is about the same 2K price point as the RS 250.

~WB marine X 4820 https://waterboxaquariums.com/collections/aquariums/products/marine-x-peninsula-4820

I like the wider options of the below tank. 20" widh of the WB is limiting IMHO.

~ innovative marine 100 gal peninsula comes in int/ext overflow options as well as a sumpped and no sump version.
https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/EXT-100-Peninsula-Aquarium-w-APS-Stand-White-p460131261

~fiji cube 108 gallon corner or normal style tank. https://www.fijicube.com/collection...-cube-108-gallon-rimless-ext-glass-tank-stand

so you quite alot of options. all depends on budget and what you want of you the tank. what fish are you going to have etc. hope that helps some.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about your options some more. I dont your your budget or space requirements ,that said i would give some thought to the IM 200 with sump I think that package is priced very well @ 40% off right now. if I was looking for a tank it would be the top of my list for size and bang for the buck.

anyway best of luck and have fun!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know all the options @Devaji covered but I think @-40% is in the same category for what I mentioned as “used” value pricing.
And the comment about width of +20” -being better than skinnier tank options being is very true when you start adding rocks and bottom dwelling reef creatures. The extra width (Front to Back) is huge for aquascaping consideration. Just having to leave room for hand access during maintenance gets much easier/ better with a happy-fatty tank to set up a reef into.
Bike Ghost Ride GIF
Music Video Dancing GIF by Joyce Wrice

Gotta get a wide one for smooth operations!

OP
OP
LexMueller

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everything guys. I'll keep you posted! Probably going to go with the reefer 250 since it's a decent size, decently priced, and is readily available to me in Canada. Thanks for the help everyone!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back