Will same species sting each other?

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they can touch and all will be fine. I have a digi and a cap growing together as one even. Starting to get green stripes in the orange cap from the digi. You will be fine, just watch at first to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will milli's sting each other? I have a few different blue's that I want to place very close to one and other.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, they might kill one another or may just develop a neutral zone

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what ive seen mostly is one starts to incrust the other and that can cause reccession but have never had them kill each other.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine if they are the same species, color does not denote a different species. Much like LPS if they are the same species like Euphyllias they can all be put together and have minimal to no interaction between the 2 seperate colonies. I assume SPS to be that way as well. Unless the specific colonies do defend themselves from other colonies wither it be same species or not, but I would assume they wouldn't recognize the separation. I could be wrong as well since I have only a few SPS......

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one problem is that you can't be certain that they are the same sp., as prostrata and mille's can be near impossible to differentiate, and color variance can hold with it chemical warfare variance, i.e. pink pocillipora tends to dominate other colors when in close contact. i also have a bright pink digi that digests any other monti it comes into contact with, and also stings some acros

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twon hit it on the head. I've had several of what I thought were mille's together, but some caused some serious damage to others. Some were likely prostrata and some were likely millepora.

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basic rule of thumb when it comes to sps is that unless I've got two frags of the exact same colony I will not let them touch. The colored sticks seem to be a bit pickier than most corals.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back