will there be a difference?

drxdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering if i will see a big/little difference between a 14k and a 20k HQI bulbs in my tank... i recently ordered a new bulb for my tank, and was just wondering if ill notice a difference in my corals with the newer 20k bulb. i know the 20k will be a lil bit more bluer in color, but will it enhance any of the colors on my corals?

thanks, to all who reply in advance.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may make a few things pop just a little more depending what 14k you are using. I had 14k pheonix and ab 20k and could tell very little difference

OP
OP
D

drxdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the hang on the back light fixture.. dunno if that helps.. i think its the 70w viper2

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive personally never used those so Im not really sure. It never hurts to play around with stuff like bulb color to see what you really like and what your corals like the best.

OP
OP
D

drxdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah i c...well ill just have to try a few..i wanna try the 20k .. then the 22k and see what happens w/ em .. since there only 20 bucks for the bulbs..worth a shot

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on which bulb you get and what ballast your running. Just have to play around and find what you like.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from 14K Ushio (SE) to 14K Coralvue on my QT and the Coralvue is several degrees bluer and much much much less intense (almost can't see everything in the tank, it is so dark...). I'm not sure how I like it yet, but nothing changed but the bulb brand (same color temp) and the difference is larger than any I've ever had when I changed something. Lighting can be extremely variable.

fizbin84

SoCal Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a 70w the 20k will not put out a lot of PAR. How deep is your tank and what are you growing? It would be fine for Zoas and softies, but SPS would need to be pretty high in the tank.I run 14K 175w on a 24" deep tank and I can grow any SPS on the sand fine with good colors.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have sold vipers before and the ballasts totally suck! (No offense intended) We put in a few different HQI 20k bulbs in there and looked like a 14k. The coralife ones are bad also.

OP
OP
D

drxdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im not too happy w/ the new 20k bulb in the viper ballast :( is there any other ballast i can get that the same bulb will fit in ?

Back