Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am thinking of adding these three wrasses to my 119 gallon tank:

Melanarus
Earmuff
Yellow Coris

will these three get along?
Additionally I have heard the melanarus is particularly bad about going after CuC. Would there be a better alternative to this one to add with the other two listed above?

thank you in advance!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re all 3 Halichoeres wrasse of about the same size and I would say are equally likely to go after CUC. They might all get along they might not. One will become the dominant male and the other two will probably be peaceful. Personally I'd get two of them and get a bunch of other wrasse such as flasher (Paracheilinus), fairy (Cirrhilabrus), and if you have a good LFS and know what you're doing then potentially leopard (Macropharyngodon), and tamarin (Anampses) wrasse. However the last two are more difficult. If those appeal to you then I can help make up a good list of wrasse for you!
Then @i cant think will make an even better one :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There all 3 Halichoeres wrasse of about the same size and I would say are equally likely to go after CUC. They might all get along they might not. One will become the dominant male and the other two will probably be peaceful. Personally I'd get two of them and get a bunch of other wrasse such as flasher (Paracheilinus), fairy (Cirrhilabrus), and if you have a good LFS and know what you're doing then potentially leopard (Macropharyngodon), and tamarin (Anampses) wrasse. However the last two are more difficult. If those appeal to you then I can help make up a good list of wrasse for you!
Then @i cant think will make an even better one :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Thank you for your reply! May I ask why you recommend only getting two instead of three? I am going to pass on the more difficult ones you mentioned just to err on the side of caution for now!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Territory. I’d say they’d like about 50 gallons each. You certainly could get all 3 though. Personally I’d replace the Melanurus with an Iridis or a Timor wrasse as they are both prettier IMO.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Territory. I’d say they’d like about 50 gallons each. You certainly could get all 3 though. Personally I’d replace the Melanurus with an Iridis or a Timor wrasse as they are both prettier IMO.
Ahh gotcha. In that case, I may just opt to getting one of the three to avoid aggression. Would three not be better than 2 so if one is aggressive it gets spread around?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say so. Sometimes that works but sometimes it doesn't. Really the most important thing is not getting two alpha males. Obviously adding at the same time can prevent that as well as getting smaller fish that haven't transitioned (all wrasse start life as female).

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say so. Sometimes that works but sometimes it doesn't. Really the most important thing is not getting two alpha males. Obviously adding at the same time can prevent that as well as getting smaller fish that haven't transitioned (all wrasse start life as female).
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you!
I originally had the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse on my list instead of the melanarus. Would going with that and the earmuff be a safer route than the 3 I listed in the main post? Now I’m considering your earlier recommendation as the leopard was on my original list haha.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you!
I originally had the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse on my list instead of the melanarus. Would going with that and the earmuff be a safer route than the 3 I listed in the main post? Now I’m considering your earlier recommendation as the leopard was on my original list haha.
Yeah that will work fine so long as you get a healthy leopard. If it is eating and swallowing at the LFS you have a great chance. They often acquire mouth injuries on shipping this the need to see it feed.

I have a 110 which has 7 wrasse among other fish and that includes a blue star leopard and two halichoeres, radiant and Timor.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that will work fine so long as you get a healthy leopard. If it is eating and swallowing at the LFS you have a great chance. They often acquire mouth injuries on shipping this the need to see it feed.

I have a 110 which has 7 wrasse among other fish and that includes a blue star leopard and two halichoeres, radiant and Timor.
Yeah the shipping thing seems to be of concern because I plan to order through DrReefsQuarantinedFish.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do trust him and his fish will be eating before he sends them.
Yeah, I have had good luck with him. Every fish in my tank has come from there and I have only ever had one die. So you think it would be ok to order one through him? Is the main reason these are expert fish because of the challenge to get them eating? I read they often come with parasites?

also, I looked up the Timor and Iridis and wish he had the Timor! It’s beautiful! He just doesn’t carry that one.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have had good luck with him. Every fish in my tank has come from there and I have only ever had one die. So you think it would be ok to order one through him? Is the main reason these are expert fish because of the challenge to get them eating? I read they often come with parasites?

also, I looked up the Timor and Iridis and wish he had the Timor! It’s beautiful! He just doesn’t carry that one.
It’s mostly the mouth injury issue but it can have parasites. You may want it to have a prazipro quarintine which I believe DrReef does. He’s one of a few I’d trust though you may want to ask for sand in her bag. Also he will be able to get you a Timor if you ask.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s mostly the mouth injury issue but it can have parasites. You may want it to have a prazipro quarintine which I believe DrReef does. He’s one of a few I’d trust though you may want to ask for sand in her bag. Also he will be able to get you a Timor if you ask.
Thank you. :)
Would it be wise to ask for sand in the other wrasses bags as well?
I actually just emailed about the Timor! So is it going to be the same risk with aggression between the earmuff and the Timor since they're both halichoeris?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my radiant and Timor as well as my blue star (actually it’s a Red Sea leopard wrasse but they’re basically the same). Finally my exquisite which I got from DrReef which was very healthy!
42AB52AD-453C-48B5-9A2A-25965950EF0B.jpeg
D3A26BA8-520E-4447-8508-DE394161BC09.jpeg
D7934B8D-1F57-4BA6-A430-65A7D8135ED3.jpeg
6E217816-7E25-49CA-9A73-A566A40D60F3.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. :)
Would it be wise to ask for sand in the other wrasses bags as well?
I actually just emailed about the Timor! So is it going to be the same risk with aggression between the earmuff and the Timor since they're both halichoeris?
It’s not needed for halichoeres. For leopard, tamarin, and pencil wrasse it increases survival chances. The rule with halichoeres is basically max size is equivalent to aggression. So long as you stick to the ones less then 6” you shouldn’t have to worry about much aggression.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not needed for halichoeres. For leopard, tamarin, and pencil wrasse it increases survival chances. The rule with halichoeres is basically max size is equivalent to aggression. So long as you stick to the ones less then 6” you shouldn’t have to worry about much aggression.
But then when they grow theyll become aggressive to eachother?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m just referring to max size. For example a checkerboard or green coris are a much more aggressive halichoeres the. The ones we’ve been discussing.

OP
OP
O

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m just referring to max size. For example a checkerboard or green coris are a much more aggressive halichoeres the. The ones we’ve been discussing.
Ahh I’m tracking. So will these wreck my CuC (snails hermits etc)?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits are still fine and most of my snails. I do prefer the bigger and tougher snails like Mexicans and trochus.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back