Will this work for my Klir di-4 filter roller?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my klir di-4 roller, when looking at the circular part that goes into the filter sock hole it is not exactly 4 inches wide, it is just a bit smaller. I had a custom piece of glass cut with a 4 inch hole, and now the plastic is smaller than the hole in the glass. But they include another tray adapter for larger sized filter sock holes. My plan was to place the klir filter on top of the custom glass I had cut, will this be good enough to make a seal and not let water pass through? If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I was planning on siliconing this piece of glass into my Red Sea reefer 170, but I’m stumped and not sure if this will work. Here are pics of what it looks like.
Thanks

01366E5A-814B-454C-A074-E9FA1B05484E.jpeg 47F1951E-0AC6-411A-8721-B13F414CC8B6.jpeg

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my klir di-4 roller, when looking at the circular part that goes into the filter sock hole it is not exactly 4 inches wide, it is just a bit smaller. I had a custom piece of glass cut with a 4 inch hole, and now the plastic is smaller than the hole in the glass. But they include another tray adapter for larger sized filter sock holes. My plan was to place the klir filter on top of the custom glass I had cut, will this be good enough to make a seal and not let water pass through? If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I was planning on siliconing this piece of glass into my Red Sea reefer 170, but I’m stumped and not sure if this will work. Here are pics of what it looks like.
Thanks

01366E5A-814B-454C-A074-E9FA1B05484E.jpeg 47F1951E-0AC6-411A-8721-B13F414CC8B6.jpeg
The first picture shows it right side up with the white circular part covering the hole entirely, but it is just placed ontop, I am not sure if this is good enough to create the seal to not let water through. The second pic is the whole thing flipped over to show how far the white plastic is covering the glass. My plan was to either leave it ontop if that is possible or buy some kind of soft material that I can sandwich between the plastic and the glass to make sure there is a seal.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with the Klir diverting cap being a bit too large. I sanded the sides of the diverting cap down to get it to fit.

Adding the glass will raise the sensor height, which may or may not be a problem. If it is a problem you could try lowering the sensor in the slit a bit or rotating the sensor 90 degrees. I’d try the glass without silicone at first. You probably won’t need to silicone it even if a small amount of water goes in between the glass and plastic.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with the Klir diverting cap being a bit too large. I sanded the sides of the diverting cap down to get it to fit.

Adding the glass will raise the sensor height, which may or may not be a problem. If it is a problem you could try lowering the sensor in the slit a bit or rotating the sensor 90 degrees. I’d try the glass without silicone at first. You probably won’t need to silicone it even if a small amount of water goes in between the glass and plastic.
Okay I understand, the thing is that this piece of glass is going to replace the current filter sock tray in my Red Sea sump, so that glass is going to be siliconed into my sump. My thought was that if a little bit of water flies through then it won’t stay filled and would never touch the sensor and roll.
The smaller bracket they give you does fit into the glass I have cut but there is space around it. I’ll post a pic and show you what that looks like. But I saw a video and it looks like someone else just placed the filter ontop of a plastic tray and it wasn’t glued or anything and it worked, so I thought that this might work too? Idk

Attachments

• 189354C4-F1A0-4FD8-BC26-21B2A0985471.jpeg
    189354C4-F1A0-4FD8-BC26-21B2A0985471.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 84

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Klir-4 in my WB sump and there is a trickle of water that bypasses my Klir-4 by going under the diverting cap when the cap is fully closed. The Klir works fine without 100% of the water going through it.

I have a 2 year old 170 (without a filter roller) and it looks like you could sit the glass and Klir on top of the black rail piece that the sock tray slides into.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back