Wondering what tank would suit my goals

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get into the hobby with a 55+ gallon tank this summer. I’ve been looking at the Waterbox Marine X 90.3/110.4, or Red Sea Reefer 300XL/350/425XL. I will be living in an apartment for the next 6 years at least.

Here are the fish that I’d like to have at the very least:
Clownfish pair
Watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Lawnmower blenny
2 Banggai cardinalfish
Fairy Wrasse

Other fish that would be cool, but I could live without:
Firefish
Bristletooth tang
Royal gamma basslet
3 Pajama cardinalfish (these are the lowest on my list overall)

My questions are, can a bristletooth tang thrive long term in a 3ft tank, or is a 4ft tank best?
How difficult is it to break down a 110 gallon system (DT and sump combined) compared to a 80 gallon system?
Would Waterbox or Red Sea be a better option if I intend to have a refugium?
Finally, what tank size would fit the 10 fish (tang included)? What tank fits the 13 with the pajama cardinals included?

Because I’ll be in an apartment, I want to manage my expectations even though I could afford a Red Sea 425XL. If something like the 300XL is smarter, then that would be fine with me. Vice versa if the larger tank is the better option.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

nobody even has an opinion?

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

nobody even has an opinion?
Thanks for the bump. I think I'm leaning toward the XL300 or the Marine X 90.3. These would be easier to maintain in an apartment and can handle most of the livestock I want.

Anyone reading this: any options on if you like Waterbox or Red Sea sumps better?

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the redsea option come with their light or will you be buying tank only with a different light?

Redsea has great products but their software for their lights can be a pain to get set up. Its also buggy at times.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the redsea option come with their light or will you be buying tank only with a different light?

Redsea has great products but their software for their lights can be a pain to get set up. Its also buggy at times.
I'be been looking at using 2 AI Prime 16HDs or 2 AI Hydra 32s. Which would you say would be suitable coverage for LPS and soft corals? I don't plan on doing SPS until I get a house in like 5 years.

Also, are there other lights that are better value for the money?

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'be been looking at using 2 AI Prime 16HDs or 2 AI Hydra 32s. Which would you say would be suitable coverage for LPS and soft corals? I don't plan on doing SPS until I get a house in like 5 years.

Also, are there other lights that are better value for the money?
If you want specifics on good lighting I would head to the lighting section of the forum and let someone with a higher IQ than me walk you through options lol. Redsea is a good light and good brand overall, but light software is a bit janky thats why I asked.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First things first. Since you’re living in an apartment. You need to get with the owner and check on aquarium limits and weight requirements. Are you on the first or second floor?

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first. Since you’re living in an apartment. You need to get with the owner and check on aquarium limits and weight requirements. Are you on the first or second floor?
I will be moving in a few months and that's when I will be purchasing the tank. My plan is to find an apartment that #1 allows aquariums and #2 allows something in the 50-70 gallon range. I'd be fine with downsizing to a Red Sea XL 200 for example if they were to require bellow 50 gallons.

In short, in theory if an apartment were to allow them with no restrictions, what Waterbox/Red Sea tank would you choose for the 50-70 gallon display tank range? (Or maybe that's not the right way to approach it? Maybe I should go smaller?)

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to the tank but if you want the cardinals get like 6+ of them. They're a lot more interesting in a group when you have a ton of fish just sitting there all staring in the same direction, it's great. On your optional list the Firefish might not gel with the goby. (and they're jumpers so you'll definitely want a mesh top. )

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for light fixtures, take a good look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2+. It's an excellent fixture, has most of the important features you could want and is probably less expensive than others with similar features.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get into the hobby with a 55+ gallon tank this summer. I’ve been looking at the Waterbox Marine X 90.3/110.4, or Red Sea Reefer 300XL/350/425XL. I will be living in an apartment for the next 6 years at least.

Here are the fish that I’d like to have at the very least:
Clownfish pair
Watchman goby and pistol shrimp
Lawnmower blenny
2 Banggai cardinalfish
Fairy Wrasse

Other fish that would be cool, but I could live without:
Firefish
Bristletooth tang
Royal gamma basslet
3 Pajama cardinalfish (these are the lowest on my list overall)

My questions are, can a bristletooth tang thrive long term in a 3ft tank, or is a 4ft tank best?
How difficult is it to break down a 110 gallon system (DT and sump combined) compared to a 80 gallon system?
Would Waterbox or Red Sea be a better option if I intend to have a refugium?
Finally, what tank size would fit the 10 fish (tang included)? What tank fits the 13 with the pajama cardinals included?

Because I’ll be in an apartment, I want to manage my expectations even though I could afford a Red Sea 425XL. If something like the 300XL is smarter, then that would be fine with me. Vice versa if the larger tank is the better option.

First off, with tanks, the bigger the better, within reason. A larger tank tends to give more stability and marine critters love, love, love stability.

Tangs love swimming room. My first tang was a kole tang (a bristletooth). He was put in a 300 gallon tank. On his second day, he spent the entire day investigating and navigating the complex rock work. He uses every inch of the tank. So I would hesitate to put any tang into any tank with less than a 4’ dimension.

Your first fish list looks pretty good. The fish should do well. For the add ones: the royal gramma and the fire fish should do fine.

I don’t think there is a big difference between the two tank sizes as far as convenience.

The number of fish you can have in a tank depends on your maintenance and care; your nutrient export, how often you do water changes, the water movement, how aggressive your fish are (sometimes it is a 1 fish system), aeration, phases of the moon and so on. In other words, there are so many variables, it can be impossible to compute. A low maintenance tank might take a much small population of fish than a high maintenance tank.

As a recommendation, I would suggest getting an RODI system, mix your own salt water, and an auto top off system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back