Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this hobby. I have been thinking about how I can turn my research focus more in line with this. So at least when I spend so much time doing something I love, it is part of my career. My husband did this. He is a product director at a home automation manufacturing company. So when he spends all day playing with speakers, he is also working. I can't help but be jealous and want to emulate him at the same time.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked in a one time fun hobby. Fun hobby became miserable work. Once worked in a place that I loved on vacation. Came to hate living there. I don't buy into the whole make your hobby your career. I really love my job now. I don't make nearly as much as I have at other jobs but I go home everyday happy and fulfilled. I enjoy helping people and as long as my job allows me to do that than I am happy.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tempted many times, especially with BRS literally in my backyard. But... the issues I think I'd have are:

#1 Never being able to take home a paycheck - exposed to all the goodies
#2 I'd probably neglect or overtry to upgrade my tanks - which are both on cruise control currently

I'll keep reefing a hobby and not a new career direction

Bolingsw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's have a little fun and talk about working in the aquarium industry. Some of you may a;ready but many, and most of you do not. But would you ever consider it?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

aquarium industry fish bag.jpg
Since I have gotten into the hobby, I have looked at the lfs in my area and 2 have closed down in the past 2 years. My area needs more diversity the three reef shops we have are very good but each one has its own strengths. My wife and I have talked about opening our own shop. Right now it’s just a dream but hopefully it will be come reality.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already do - but it wasn't always that way.

Before VCA, I had not really considered it . Even after we started VCA it was hard to imaging giving up my daytime gig. But VCA very quickly grew (we taking less than six months) and soon, before i knew it, I was working in the industry full time - at the manufacturing end of things. (@revhtree - R2R was a big part of that explosive growth)

Almost 3-years later and I would not change a thing. Love meeting all the people - both industry insiders and our awesome customers.

Plus - i still maintain a personal reef tank, which means I still get to enjoy the hobby end of things :cool:

Last edited:

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have gotten into the hobby, I have looked at the lfs in my area and 2 have closed down in the past 2 years. My area needs more diversity the three reef shops we have are very good but each one has its own strengths. My wife and I have talked about opening our own shop. Right now it’s just a dream but hopefully it will be come reality.

It's a REALLY REALLY tough business.

Basically, LFS owners are "breaking even" on the Retail side of things and relying on their Service/Install for the profit.

Service contracts plus livestock and dry goods for service customer's tanks make up a HUGE portion of the LFS business.

And the walk-in customers will complain about your price on the Flame Angel but the service customer will pay full retail for expensive show-fish.

Location, Location... stores near affluent areas do best. Keep the store clean, uncrowded and "approachable". A potential client living in Crystal Cove (Newport Beach) won't make it past the front door of 75% of stores out there.

Think "Aquatic Design Studio" not floor to ceiling tanks with that classic LFS "odor" and dingy lighting.

Last edited:

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working part time at my LFS for almost 4 years now (I'm a university student)! Definitely a fun job!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked in it before and would love to work in the aquarium industry or even general pet industry again. This time as a rep, which falls into my wheel house, or shop owner. I've got some ideas but lack the capital to start my own shop.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer to retirement but not one to sit around idle. I would consider working in a quality LFS part time. I would consider working in a big box like Petco IF AND ONLY IF I could have a free hand in improving quality of life in all their tanks. I was recently in a local big box store, salt tanks were terrible but the fresh water were well lit and very clean.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t sure if I should say yes or other, I’m a casual employee at my LFS, not sure if this counts as working properly since I’m a student mainly.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was retired from my computer business and decided to pickup my passion again.
Before i had fresh water aquariums all my life, but i needed a new challenge. In 2004 i got into saltwater and that was the best decision ever.

I have bred anemone fish, seahorses and purchased any coral i could get my hands on.
Just for the challenge of keeping them succesfully.

I manage my reeftanks so succesfull, that i didn't need to do any waterchanges anymore. That got peoples attention.

Now i have developed a very succesfull system and a productline, which help other to become succesfull reefers too.

You might say i made work out of my passion

Yes, i am gladly part of the aquarium industrie right now.
20201004_202855.jpg
20200930_091854.jpg
20201004_202920.jpg

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing highschool, medical school, surgical residency and my surgical career, id love to open a little mom and pop fish store. Somewhere warm like FLorida or Australia.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.........
I would suggest not opening an aquarium store in the middle of a global pandemic..... LOL
I opened my own brick and mortar store about three weeks before our governor shut down the state. It has been rough to say the least.
I do love it though. I managed another shop for about 10 years before opening my own shop, so I already had a solid and loyal customer base. If it weren't for them, I would not still be in business. The people in this hobby are AWESOME, and I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.
PS. Don't go into it to get rich. :)
Peace
EC

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Anytime something becomes a job it has the potential (for me Atleast) to become a chore instead of fun.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
Absolutely. Can't think of any part of aquaria (FW or SW) that I don't completely enjoy. Even the monotonous maintenance.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I would only choose to be a worker bee. I'm a very people oriented person, and I really enjoy interacting with others. I've had (and to a certain degree still have) upper level management responsibilities, and I think that would take the fun out of it for me.
I'm a retired US Navy Sailor working full time. When I finally do really retire, I'd love to keep a part time job in any LFS for as long as I can remain vertical. :D

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never do your hobby to your work - it will end up with much low payed work and no hobby :D Ask me - I know. Nowadays I work 25 % in a public aquarium - and 75 % of my time is hobby :D But should I have chosen another path when I have all the answer - nope:D

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked in the industry now for just over 8 years. It has been the best part of my career thus far. I would like to remind people that working in the industry does not just mean owning or working in a LFS or a public aquarium. There are many manufacturers in this industry that are always looking for people with all kinds of expertise. I am personally always looking for outstanding sales and marketing talent (PM me your resume and pitch yourself). Our engineering team is right now, actively looking for individuals.

In these kinds of roles you get all the benefits of having a job in the industry and all the perks of working closer to your passion (sealife), but without having to clean skimmers, wipe glass, and glue corals as part of your everyday.

Here are two positions open right now in engineering:

Neptune Systems is growing at a phenomenal pace. And our customers, we call them #ControlFreaks, are demanding more and more new products from us to use on their aquariums. We need one of you to help us make that happen! So, if you love aquariums (especially tinkering with electronics on aquariums) and would like to be part of an exciting work environment where you can show off your skills, learn new ones, and work in the hobby you love, then send us your resume and a cover letter selling yourself. [email protected]

We have two positions available for the right candidates. Both of these positions are based in Morgan Hill, CA. Relocation assistance will be made available for the right candidates.

Entry Level Electrical Engineer:

Responsibilities:
• Perform troubleshooting of monitoring and control systems for operations
• Design PCB's and system components for aquarium monitoring and control products
• Assist in design of test fixtures and prepare documentation for release to manufacturing
• Assist in updating circuit board components for obsolescence

Requirements:
• B.S. Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering (or proven aptitude in the following through work experience and/or demonstrated projects)
• Schematic capture and PCB layout experience a plus.
• Understanding of electrical circuit fundamentals
• Familiar with operation of test equipment, oscilloscopes, DVM’s, function generators, spectrum analyzers
• Experience with micro-controller programming (C)
• Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Excellent documentation skills

Senior Electrical Engineer:

Responsibilities:
• Architect, design and program embedded AVR and ARM microprocessor systems
• Design PCB's and system components for aquarium monitoring and control products
• Perform troubleshooting of monitoring and control systems
• Assist in design of test fixtures and prepare documentation for release to manufacturing

Requirements:
• B.S. Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering and > 5 years experience in product development
• Altium schematic and PCB layout experience a plus
• Able to take product from concept to finished product
• Familiar with operation of test equipment, oscilloscopes, DVM’s, function generators, spectrum analyzers
• Experience with micro-controller programming (C, and C++)
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
• Quality-driven. Committed to meeting schedules, able to balance performance & time constraints
• Excellent documentation skills

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back