Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's have a little fun and talk about working in the aquarium industry. Some of you may already but many, and most of you do not. But would you ever consider it?

1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

Yes, I would. I am retired. I would be willing to do a part time work in Sales, Design, or Minor maintenance.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

I would only be willing to work for someone. It would have to allow me to continue to live at my current location. I would need to be able to chose my hours.

Now, from a point of reality, I doubt that I will be working in the industry. I will still have fun with my tank.

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have! An aquarium maintenance company was my summer job for all four years of high school.

2. I’m currently in a uniformed service, and half jokingly told my fiancee that I wanted to grow coral out of the house and do maintenance on tanks for a living when I retire. She didn’t miss a beat! I’m a big stickhead and would love having a raceway and a display tank down the line!

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to work in a big public aquarium as a maintenance engineer.
In the aquarium world, that's called LSS, or Life Support Systems. You might have already known that. Anyway, while every aquarium has hundreds of resumes on file from people looking for a job to work with the animals, LSS isn't so glamorous. As such, the competition is greatly reduced. The point is that if you learn all about the systems that make an aquarium or marine park work, you stand a good chance of getting a job. LSS guys are always in demand.

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to be a sales associate for my lfs, I love helping people with their aquariums, and my fish store said they’d hire me when I’m ready, assuming they need someone! :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the aquarium world, that's called LSS, or Life Support Systems. You might have already known that. Anyway, while every aquarium has hundreds of resumes on file from people looking for a job to work with the animals, LSS isn't so glamorous. As such, the competition is greatly reduced. The point is that if you learn all about the systems that make an aquarium or marine park work, you stand a good chance of getting a job. LSS guys are always in demand.

Mote Marine is looking for one of those right now.

I used to work with someone who got a job at Mote, biological tech...messed it up somehow. He did say the pay wasn't great...but Sarasota, Fla.....bar across the street over looking the water.....I'd find a way to make it work.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I got into reefing.i went to my local aquarium shop in Florida. I asked if I could work cleaning tanks in exchange for fish and coral. Not only did I get a great education, but I got first choice on corals and fish!!! I was hooked!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked other because I worked 12 years at a full service pet store that had an excellent FW and SW dept. I loved that job and was proud to work where I did. I learned a lot and will always be grateful for having had that opportunity.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the industry of Aquarium service and installing aquariums. Also work at a small aquarium.
It’s pretty cool job but a lot of responsibility. Everyday could bring up a new challenge...

dlockert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.........
I would suggest not opening an aquarium store in the middle of a global pandemic..... LOL
I opened my own brick and mortar store about three weeks before our governor shut down the state. It has been rough to say the least.
I do love it though. I managed another shop for about 10 years before opening my own shop, so I already had a solid and loyal customer base. If it weren't for them, I would not still be in business. The people in this hobby are AWESOME, and I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.
PS. Don't go into it to get rich. :)
Peace
EC

We're in the same boat and are lucky to have a business partner who has worked in this industry in this area for quite a while because customers will come specifically for her expertise. In addition, we QT our fish, so that is an additional draw for people in this area. I am in the process of doing a new 125 tank, but my husband who worked in the store has kind of lost the heart for doing the work at home.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear that @WWC is hiring... That would be a lot of reefers' dream job!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back