Worm ID needed. Bobbit worm?

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Noticed this ugly character creeping out of a rock. Looks like it could be a small bobbit worm but not sure. If so, how do I annihilate this sucker? He darts back into the rock with any movement.

6ED56707-9A2B-409D-ACA7-247BEB48C785.jpeg

Unholy_Rigatoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah that's a bobbit for sure, I had one just like it. I used long forceps to remove it, but there's a danger of it breaking in half and regrowing, so a trap might be a better option. That rock it's in looks too big to remove too..

Top Shelf Aquatics

flsalty

View Badges
Reaction score
It does appear to be a Eunice sp. of some sort. You'd have to look at the head closer to positively identify it as a bobbit worm. Bobbits usually live in the sand, not rocks, so I doubt it is an actual bobbit. I remember a thread where someone was keeping a Eunice, but I don't remember which forum it was. It mostly ate algae.

OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
It does appear to be a Eunice sp. of some sort. You'd have to look at the head closer to positively identify it as a bobbit worm. Bobbits usually live in the sand, not rocks, so I doubt it is an actual bobbit. I remember a thread where someone was keeping a Eunice, but I don't remember which forum it was. It mostly ate algae.
I was doing some reading and apparently only a few varieties of Eunice that get big and are harmful. That being said, I would prefer to not find out it's one of those when fish start disappearing.

If I'm able to remove the whole rock and dip it in Revive I'm going to kill all the beneficial bacteria etc. in the rock right?

OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Can a mod please move this thread to the hitchhiker ID section please. Not sure how I did that.

Hemmdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was doing some reading and apparently only a few varieties of Eunice that get big and are harmful. That being said, I would prefer to not find out it's one of those when fish start disappearing.

If I'm able to remove the whole rock and dip it in Revive I'm going to kill all the beneficial bacteria etc. in the rock right?
If you can remove the rock I’d just try to dip it in Rodi first, it shouldn’t like that. Revive seems excessive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
EEE$Eek !! It IS a BOBBIt. . . hopefully only one

How important are having the right snails in your reef?

• VERY Important

Votes: 222 42.9%
  • Important

Votes: 212 41.0%
  • Not So Important

Votes: 50 9.7%
  • I don't have snails

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Use pumps from different brands TOGETHER!
Corals.com