worm...

PatrickStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please help, saw this long worm in my tank feeding on a dead goby.. did it kill the fish or was it feeding on an already dead fish.. its too fast to be caught with my long tweezers... Should I let it be or get it out? can't seem to grip it with tongs/tweezers. Thanks gazillion for any imput 20210602_193611.jpg

Attachments

• 20210602_193654.mp4
    19.3 MB

Charles Raabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most worms that you may find in your aquarium will most likely be good members of your clean up crew and was simply doing it's job. Worm identification is very difficult without extreme close up photos of their heads, but might this be of help to you.

The full monty here: http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/hitchhikers.html

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks more to me like a Eunice. That head doesn't look like a bristle.
Live rock history? Is it live rock or fake?
Edit: doesn't have a Eunice head from what I see either. Sharkbairs probably right.
Close ups are.needed, somehow.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've both live and fake:)
I'm guessing florida live rock. Look at the face of the worm. If it has antennas, And a band behind the head, it's a Eunice. If none of those , compare with bristle worms.
If you have panicky fish. Get rid of it.

OP
OP
PatrickStarfish

PatrickStarfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Singapore, the live rocks are from surrounding indo Pacific waters.. so I'm just 2nd guessing it could be related to the eunice? After all, it's tropical warm waters
Only reason I asked, Eunice's need to be trapped. Bristles normally just savage and can be left alone

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm from Singapore, the live rocks are from surrounding indo Pacific waters.. so I'm just 2nd guessing it could be related to the eunice? After all, it's tropical warm waters
The red ones seem to be warm bodied. I got mine from florida. I know the red ones I had were monsters. I suspect they killed my smaller fish and caused issues with my fire gobies finding a home.
You might also have more than 1.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think several people have already mentioned it but that doesn't look like a bristle worm - the legs are wrong. Probably just scavenging on the already dead Goby, but if it is a eunice like some have mentioned, it may only be a matter of time before it starts killing them. I'd get it out regardless, especially at that size.

Back