Would you buy HEI optic Lenses for your Gen1-3 Lights?

Discussion in 'EcoTech Marine' started by sn2per, Aug 15, 2016.

1. griff500

griff500 Active Member

Absolutely understandable, but G3 owners have a right to be upset. Ecotech should've stopped saying the G3 was upgradable on their website the moment they realised it wouldn't be.

2. ReeferRoo

ReeferRoo Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Partner Member 2018

Hopefully this statement is how Ecotech handles the situation and is able to offer HEI lenses in the future for the G3 pro models. At least then they would be holding true to their product advertisement to some degree, and i have no doubt, after watching this thread, that current G3 owners would buy HEI lenses if made available.

3. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Huh?

4. griff500

griff500 Active Member

There won't be any upgrade kits. Ecotech have already said there will be no upgrade. Maybe they'll bring out the lenses, but I highly doubt it.

5. Kungpaoshizi

Kungpaoshizi Valuable Member

I'm a firm believer in wide angle lenses but this would be even better to help prevent shading. Though I don't think it warrants a purchase to replace my gen 3's. I would have done the upgrade though, for sure.

To those arguing about if people thought the gen3 was upgradeable or not, that's one reason I bought them. They've made gen1 and gen2 upgradable so I thought it was going to continue. Not really an assumption as I saw "upgradable" as a general feature to radions. Pretty bummed they pulled an Apple.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  6. serenade

serenade Active Member

I absolutely would buy them, just received as a surprise first wedding anniversary gift a radion xr30w gen 3 pro, haven't even opened it yet. Husband isn't fish savy so didn't know about the g4.
    However I did email the company and was told that they absolutely would continue to support earlier g1 g2 and g3, models not discontinue in 24 months as everyone seems to think.
    Where did that information originally come from?

7. TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot Valuable Member

I totally understand coming up with a new technology that makes older technology no longer compatible, but if you advertise that it would be, then they should offer a buy back solution/trade-in program. I still think they are a great company with great products. It's a hard position to be in....

8. griff500

griff500 Active Member

I believe Ecotech have said they will continue supporting them for 2 years, by which I presume they mean technical support and warranty.

Are you not able to return them?

9. ReeferRoo

ReeferRoo Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Partner Member 2018

The info on the 24 months was in their FAQ that was included with the G4 release info.

10. Sharvey103

Sharvey103 ReefAddicted R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Voted and yes I would. Just got 4 Gen 3's for a 300DD build and do not want to have to replace them for several years.

11. serenade

serenade Active Member

Unfortunately no, however I lucked into the ability to get the g4 pro for only a little more than what we paid for my g3 pro. Actually found the ability to get all new upgraded equipment with extra to spare.

12. serenade

serenade Active Member

Where can I find that information? I'd love to be able to quote the company directly from their own release.

13. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Valuable Member R2R Supporter

No.

14. ReeferRoo

The CSM should have at least acknowledged thats what was in their release info.

From their product info, check the last page of their FAQ, they say "for a minimum of 24 months after the production change to G4". Pretty sure that change is referring to the release, Aug 2016. Maybe they could clarify that...now for my supporting references.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/EcoTech-Marine-Radion-G4-Full-Release-Information%21-BRAND-NEW.261295/

The same info, i am pretty sure was posted on their website at the time of release, but it isn't there now.
    Subsequently the identical language was given to reefcentral through a post similar to the one above by marine depot. If you key in the right search you will find it. Its still there.
    And the FAQ is still posted on premium aquatics website.
    I have photos of both but not sure of the rules on posting that kind of stuff.

It is very curious as to why a CSM would say that it "simply isn't accurate" when a FAQ was distributed to everyone addressing that specific question, granted not firmly, but enough that at least made some of us bring it up as a point of concern.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  15. ReeferRoo

And thanks for asking them! Curious to hear what they say.

16. angminsoon

angminsoon Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Would definitely buy retrofit lenses for the G1,G2 and G3 if they become available.

17. ZJedi945

ZJedi945 Active Member R2R Supporter

Oh I really hope these come out! It looks like people want them so it would be silly not to bring them out. I mean look at all the money they could make :p[​IMG]

18. Kungpaoshizi

Kungpaoshizi Valuable Member

^That's me in that pic! lol

ZJedi945 likes this.
  19. clownsrcool

clownsrcool Active Member

I doubt they would release an optic upgrade for G3 lights to have the HEIs right now because they don't want to take away from their G4 launch sales. I would guess that when the G4 sales slow substantially they will release something like that for the G3s to generate a lot of extra revenue.

As suspected just about everyone would want them and most likely anyone that had G3s already and were given the option to replace fixture or just the Optics would choose optics. Ecotech knows that and prob wants to get as much as they can from the early adopters and people thinking the optics will never be offered for other models and are set on having that feature first.

ReeferRoo likes this.
  20. Saltwater226

Saltwater226 Member

yes

Draft saved Draft deleted