Would you do it? repair a 350gal bottom.

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine was attempting to buy a used 350gal bowfront. mostly 3/4in glass. While moving it the bottom cracked where it was drilled for a closed loop.

The sides are positioned on top of the bottom glass, so it could possibly be removed and replaced without taking the tank fully apart. The original tank builder does not want to fix it, due to cost/risk/liability/unkown reasons.

If you could get the glass cut, or 1in pvc bottom, or other option would you attempt a repair or just not risk it? I know from another thread the glass could be sourced from glass cages.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thought that comes to my mind, knowing my luck, is 350 gallons of water flooding my house [emoji15] I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I had repaired that, and I'm not bad at doing things like that, I just know my luck is terrible.

OP
OP
S

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo might help...do you want to keep the holes in the bottom?

I dont have a photo, just what my friend told me. said its multiple cracks spread out from that drilled hole. no cracks all the way to the edge. closed loop not really necessary, just what the previous owner had setup.

OP
OP
S

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thought that comes to my mind, knowing my luck, is 350 gallons of water flooding my house [emoji15] I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I had repaired that, and I'm not bad at doing things like that, I just know my luck is terrible.

yeah, thats the nightmare in the back of everyones head. another friend 150gal just sprung a leak out of nowhere, been running 2+ years. luckily he was home at the time and had a 205gal tank to move the inhabitants too.

OP
OP
S

sk8ter20art

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he made his decision. He decided to not go through with the buy. extra cost of repairs and risk were too high for his comfort level. Someone else offered the seller $500 for the broken tank. good luck to them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back