Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

• Total voters

Ricardo@Coralvue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI the only Monitor Display on CoralVue Site is the one with, +/- 0.1dkh

This has been and incredible discussion, lots of people has email direct to CoralVue,to see when they can get a KH Guardian, as most people say "this product is not for everyone" but the ones who can afford it, will love it!
The rest of us will have to save money or wait :(
Same as the Flat screen TV's, I remember paying $723.00 for a 15" LCD Tv

http://www.coralvue.com/kh-guardian-pro

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another red flag
IMG_1481413365.294903.jpg

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has been and incredible discussion, lots of people has email direct to CoralVue,to see when they can get a KH Guardian, as most people say "this product is not for everyone" but the ones who can afford it, will love it!

The 0.1 model is only the first 90 your ordered according to the developer. He mentioned that after those units are sold then the 0.33 version will be sold at that entry price and for $200 increase you will have access to the 0.1 model.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a apex product you can set it up any way you like. Im sure you can use it just for monitoring

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its a apex product you can set it up any way you like. Im sure you can use it just for monitoring
Why do you think it's an Apex product? You do realize this is not made or serviced by Neptune, right?

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were only human born to make mistakes ; how would you feel if you were the coral or the fish on the other end. yeah I thought so
There's a difference between admitting our humanity, commenting on the fact that out animals deserve the best care, and being rude about your perception of what it takes to be good at this hobby. The first two are spot on, the latter is wrong.

Back on topic:
I personally like the idea of a monitor better than integrated dosing, I just want to watch my all levels over time, like I do now via testing, and make educated decisions based on those.
Have they commented yet on rate of reagent and tank water consumption per day for one test per hour (for example)?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a difference between admitting our humanity, commenting on the fact that out animals deserve the best care, and being rude about your perception of what it takes to be good at this hobby. The first two are spot on, the latter is wrong.

Back on topic:
I personally like the idea of a monitor better than integrated dosing, I just want to watch my all levels over time, like I do now via testing, and make educated decisions based on those.
Have they commented yet on rate of reagent and tank water consumption per day for one test per hour (for example)?
Agreed with you here NeverLosT.
I would assume based on the Apex unit coming out and being tested by Terence, that the rate of reagent use would be pretty high for testing every hour. The Apex product apparently goes through a lot of reagent when tested that often. I hope and assume that the prices of this kind of equipment will come down as the companies that are developing them are paying retail prices for the procurement of the different parts required for manufacturing of kH monitoring, using third party technologies, which cost a lot of money. Once that can be brought in house, I expect the prices to come down significantly.

On another note to the thread in general: The comments from people here telling CoralVue to just drop the price to $250 and still make a "tidy little profit" are ridiculous. Consumers will pay what they perceive the market value to be, and with that comes factoring in cost of manufacturing, procurement, sourcing, supply chain, third party interests, etc. etc. Until the companies that manufacture these devices can find a way to reduce their own internal costs to make these things, we are all going to look at these prices. We aren't being gouged here, it's just the cost of doing business, and if we want to play, we pay. If someone doesn't want to play with the new tech, don't pay... This is very akin to an arms race right now; first mover advantage affords a lot of ability to bring outside technologies in house for R&D. For the present, the companies that come to market first will have a tremendous advantage, so if we want a kH monitor right now, we pay for it plain and simple.
Waiting until development and manufacturing costs drop so consumers can share in the cost savings is also a good strategy, and I think what 75% of the respondents to the poll are saying. Nothing wrong with doing this the way we are all used to doing it, manually. I'd love to have a KHG, but I'd like to have a lot of things that cost a lot of money. :D:D:D

Either way, good to see innovation really starting to ramp up in the hobby, it's a good sign of things to come I believe.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much technology is in this thing? Let's see if I'm right?

Let's see Randy posted here in Reef2Reef how to do a DIY Alk test with acid and ph which I believe is how this things works so what is needed

2x dosing pumps
Arduino with arduino screen and a ph board add on
Ph probe
Acrylic container

Now the trick will be how to make a code to count the amount of regent added to make the tank water inside the container to i believe 4.15 ph and also code it to do the math to covert it to A dkh number.

I bet the arduino and reef angel crowd will have this done in no time now that is out.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am giving this feedback in hope that either Coralvue or APEX or another manufacturer will build and sell what I would like to have.

While I like the tester/monitor function within the KHG, I neither need nor want the doser. What I really want is that the tester to be connected to a controller, especially an APEX, so I can be either notified and/or have my controller take some sort of action. I prefer to be able to decide what set of actions to take.

I currently have a calcium reactor and I have much more concerned about too high ALK that too low ALK to equipment malfunction. If it can be hooked up an controller, especially to an APEX, I can turn off my calcium reactor immediately if ALK gets too high. If ALK gets low, I just need a notification because I have time to make the adjustments before bad things happen. It takes several days for low ALK to cause irreversible damage to my tank.

If the ALK testing/monitor function is compatible with an APEX, I am 100% sure I would purchase a reliable unit if it cost less than $300. I am pretty sure I would if it costs less than $500. More than I $500, I would consider it, but it would not be an easy decision.

james77515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One problem with this statement is that those that can afford it will love it. You are assuming that those of us who said no could not afford it and this assumption is wrong. I can afford it I just cannot justify it to myself to use this as a monitor only system because I have a calcium reactor.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence is right -- it is killing me not to be able to respond to this thread!

Please ! I lost money on my past long gone never to return APExX products! Terrance can keep his opinions to himself and try to get his stuff working properly before he comments on something like this [emoji844]

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please ! I lost money on my past long gone never to return APExX products! Terrance can keep his opinions to himself and try to get his stuff working properly before he comments on something like this [emoji844]

I will be willing the apex version will be a way better unit. Plus it will be apex ready from the get go. I do agree that Neptune it's a bit hard to deal with with their customer service but they do make top notch products and worth the money.

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you take people for idiots. But most of us see the problem with spending an extra 200 for an upgrade. And no reagent pricing info. Give us a break, they know exactly what that is going to be. If they really don't know the pricing of the reagent then this is nothing but a scam. I'm sick and tired of paying good money to Beta test someone elses product.

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you beta testing the unit free?
Yes, I actually start from Alpha unit test, and units I tested are free….

Price indeed a concern, that is why in this thread, I vote “Maybe”

My view is
  1. I probably will anyway buy KHG with US$ 1000 range since there is no other choose available soon and my traveling concern is always there
  2. I don’t like +-0.33 dKH sensitivity since market today has US$50 test unit provide 0.1 dKH sensitivity, even it is NOT remote controllable. Simply believe there is no competitor yet so set whatever product spec want is just arrogant
  3. I won’t use supplemental dosing feature since it won’t help from my human mistake experience and not sure its advantage and disadvantage adjust well yet
  4. Integrate to a controller or have its own MQTT-like feature ready

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back