Wrasse Being A @#$@!

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Red Head Solon wrasse that is just a jerk to any new tank mate. I read that they are relatively peaceful fish and shouldn't have many problems with them. He goes after absolutely everything I put in the tank.... First it was the yellow tang (now they seem to be somewhat ok)then it was the school of ignitus anthias i put in (they went in yesterday and he has not stopped trying to go after them), any wrasse i put near the tank he just goes crazy and normally chases them right out of the tank or just kills them.... Catching him is going to be a challenge, any suggestions besides catching him?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are people too. I had a Solon that was a model citizen for years, and then one day... He wasn't.
My suggestion is to catch him and re-home.
Fish traps are relatively inexpensive and perfect to have on hand for situations just like this..

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just traded mine in over the weekend, total jerk to my zebra dart trio and firefish.

I put my fish trap in and left in in for a couple days for everyone to get used to it.

Then I just inserted my foos dispenser into the hole in the top and the wrasse went right in after it and BAM.

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good... At this point i dont know if i'll rehome him or let him live in the fuge.... As much as i hate him i would get pleasure in still having him (fuge is relatively large and separate from the sump).

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Trap Ordered..... new plan, wrasse going to the refugium and all the tangs are going to go into a temporary holding tank to get their #(*& together and i'm going to let the fish that have been bullied for the past few weeks get settled in then add things back in with the exception of the wrasse..... just watching him destroy my makes me want to have a sacrifice ceremony when i catch him (won't actually do it but the thought is there)....

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Red Head Solon wrasse that is just a jerk to any new tank mate. I read that they are relatively peaceful fish and shouldn't have many problems with them. He goes after absolutely everything I put in the tank.... First it was the yellow tang (now they seem to be somewhat ok)then it was the school of ignitus anthias i put in (they went in yesterday and he has not stopped trying to go after them), any wrasse i put near the tank he just goes crazy and normally chases them right out of the tank or just kills them.... Catching him is going to be a challenge, any suggestions besides catching him?

Don't feel bad, mine was added last and was a complete jerk as well. Every one I have seen is assertive to some degree. I personally feel they should be listed as Semi-Aggressive instead of Peaceful. A mirror trick might work other than that you will need to trap and give it a "time out" in another tank or get rid of it. If you do a time out a rearrangement of rockwork is helpful.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lineatus who decided to attack my male leopard the day he was added. I put the Lineatus into QT for 2 weeks, then into a acclimation box for 3 days. No more aggression, the Lineatus could care less about the Leopard now.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of an acclimation box can save us a lot of headache. All of my tanks have the rock scape divided in thirds to allow me to slip a egg crate divider in to make capture of problem fish easier. I have been trying to capture a Bartlet Anthias with a trap for the past 3 day without any luck. Funny, since the trap has been in the tank his aggression has stopped and it is acting like a model citizen. Maybe I’ll give him another try.

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish trap worked like a charm and had him out in ten minutes.... I put him in the sump to go to time out for a while last night and this evening i get home and he had jumped out of the sump.... This is where it gets weird, I picked him up and thought for sure he was dead.... Dry, almost stiff but scales still in tact... i put him in the main display to see if his color was still there and after about 30 seconds i saw bubbles come out of his gills and he started to breathe again. I still don't think he will make it but dang what a tough fish. As much as i hate him i kinda feel like if he pulls through he has won the right to stay in the tank. Maybe the lack of oxygen has caused brain damage and he'll be nice... I'll update in the morning to see how he is doing.

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he gets any worst I’m gonna pull the plug but he seems to be holding steady for now.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. That's the only issue with putting a known jumper in a sump. I hope he makes it.

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and he is acting like nothing happened. Swimming and eating. I have never seen anything like it. On a positive note he’s been acting like a role model citizen. Maybe he has seen the light!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. I was feeding my tank yesterday and my Blue Flasher jumped right out onto the tanks glass canopy. Thank God I was there to slide him back in before he cooked under the LEDs. Crazy

OP
OP
Gpettit721

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days after his little mishap.... He is alive and his attitude has completely changed.... I'm actually really glad cause he was being such a jerk he ruined the vibe of the whole tank and now the peace has been restored.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back