Wrasse comparability and acclimation Box

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus) that’s been the only wrasse in my tank for almost a year.

I purchased a red headed Solon wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) that arrived almost 2 weeks ago.

I made the mistake of putting it directly in the tank and the Ruby lost his mind and chased him all around. Luckily I was able to catch the Solon and have had him in an acclimation box ever since.
How long should I keep him in the box? The ruby comes up and postures at the Solon but nothing like what I saw originally.

I’m also looking at adding a splendid pintail fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles), I definitely plan on doing the acclimation box, but will there be any issues with compatibility of the 3.

The tank is 125g 60” long x 18” wide x 25” tall with NSA aquascape. I recently added a few more arches and caves for hiding spots.

I’ve also noticed the Ruby starting to change with more vibrant colors. I’m assuming it’s transitioning to a more dominant male.

Wannabereefvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus) that’s been the only wrasse in my tank for almost a year.

I purchased a red headed Solon wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) that arrived almost 2 weeks ago.

I made the mistake of putting it directly in the tank and the Ruby lost his mind and chased him all around. Luckily I was able to catch the Solon and have had him in an acclimation box ever since.
How long should I keep him in the box? The ruby comes up and postures at the Solon but nothing like what I saw originally.

I’m also looking at adding a splendid pintail fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles), I definitely plan on doing the acclimation box, but will there be any issues with compatibility of the 3.

The tank is 125g 60” long x 18” wide x 25” tall with NSA aquascape. I recently added a few more arches and caves for hiding spots.

I’ve also noticed the Ruby starting to change with more vibrant colors. I’m assuming it’s transitioning to a more dominant male.
I think the main problem is that you’re adding conspecifics.

But that being said, you can try changing the rock work aquascape after adding the two new fish in. Sometimes that helps disrupt the territorial side of things, so the whole tank is free game for places to settle into rather than your current wrasse feeling dominant over the entire tank.

Back