Wrasse Compatibility

Olympius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I currently have a reef tank with mostly soft corals (zoas, toadstools, mushrooms) and plan to add more.
If possible, I want to add Wrasses to the system and would like feedback on the few I am considering below. Would those mentioned get along with each other and my current stock?
I understand some Wrasses may go after the inverts.

Below is my current stock list in my Redsea MaxS-500. I believe it is 120 gallons in the display.
1Fire shrimp
1 Skunk Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Yellow Tang
1 purple Tang
1 White Tail Bristletooth Tang
2 firefish
2 Clownfish
1 Diamond Goby
1 Sandsifting Starfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
(considering adding a foxface)

I am considering adding a few Wrasse:
Dusky Margined Wrasse (Halichoeres Marginitus)
China Pearl Black-Backed Wrasse (Anampses Neoguinaicus)
Earmuff Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres Chrysus)
Melanurus Wrasse

Thank you in advance for feedback provided. :)

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Depending on your CUC, some of these may cause problems. I put a melanurus in my 110g reef and was sure he took out my pair of fire shrimp. However when I rehomed him to a different tank the fire shrimp came out. The melanurus and yellow corks are likely to take out snails, especially if they get flipped over. My melanurus will actually flip larger turbo snails.
That being said I have seen many choose the yellow coris as they are also really good at taking out fire worms and flatworms. And many have them in reefs with CUC. Many if not all of these wrasses are cruisers and have high metabolisms so a dense pod population or frequent feedings are a must for long term health and success. You might consider one of these options and complement them with fairy/flasher wrasses. I believe for the most part you can mix and match fairy wrasses, and only have aggression/territorial issues with multiple males of same species. Even ones that look very similar have been kept together.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Halichoeres Marginitus. Ive got hermits and emerald crabs which it doesnt touch, i occasionally toss in some ghost shrimp which it goes crazy for though so be warned. The yellow coris might be safest especially if you get it small.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back