OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also since the list is so large, one thing that may help is a general temperament section for all the different wrasse types as the first tab.
I was thinking maybe an average size, average minimum tank size and general temperament, general reef compatibility, general care difficulty and "general sand sleeping" (not sure how to say that better any ideas?) on the first tab?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe an average size, average minimum tank size and average temperament general temperament, general reef compatibility, general care difficulty and "general sand sleeping" (not sure how to say that better any ideas?) on the first tab?
That could be good. Their temperament towards conspecifics would also be good. Fairy wrasse, leopard wrasse, and possum wrasse in particular are generally very accepting of others within their genus

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that took a minute and a half! I am going to need some advice of different categories because the miscellaneous category has way too many wrasse and I am sure that there are many other categories to be made. Also, what is a better name for striper wrasse? I know that is a terrible name, but I am not sure what else that group could be called as I don't really want to go by scientific name unless you think that would be best? I'm going to need some advice please @i cant think @Slocke @SaltyT Also I forgot to mention that I am quite sure a few of the Sand sleeping category results are wrong so please let me know if I need to change them.
The best way would be to do the genus as many species outside of Coris, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Anampses and Pseudojuloides aren’t actually given 3 names “______ _____ Wrasse”. Most of them just get given two names and usually on their tag it looks something like “______ Wrasse”.

In Labridae there are many genera to the point it’s actually split down into 2 subfamilies;
Scaridae
Labridae

So, what’s best is you separate the 10 genera in Scaridae (The Parrotfish) from the 31ish genera in Labridae. And then as certain genera in Labriidae don’t use the sand you could name them instead of having a tab for which ones do and don’t. This makes life a lot easier as actually very few genera don’t sleep in the sand.

Another thing I’d do is get rid of reef safe or not. Most wrasses that aren’t corallivores (Labropsis species) are reef safe however they may be a risk to smaller inverts.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking maybe an average size, average minimum tank size and general temperament, general reef compatibility, general care difficulty and "general sand sleeping" (not sure how to say that better any ideas?) on the first tab?
Minimum tank sizes with wrasses seem to be highly debatable, general temperament also varies as when housed with conspecific males any wrasse will risk becoming nasty and gain aggressive tendencies.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way would be to do the genus as many species outside of Coris, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Anampses and Pseudojuloides aren’t actually given 3 names “______ _____ Wrasse”. Most of them just get given two names and usually on their tag it looks something like “______ Wrasse”.

In Labridae there are many genera to the point it’s actually split down into 2 subfamilies;
Scaridae
Labridae

So, what’s best is you separate the 10 genera in Scaridae (The Parrotfish) from the 31ish genera in Labridae. And then as certain genera in Labriidae don’t use the sand you could name them instead of having a tab for which ones do and don’t. This makes life a lot easier as actually very few genera don’t sleep in the sand.

Another thing I’d do is get rid of reef safe or not. Most wrasses that aren’t corallivores (Labropsis species) are reef safe however they may be a risk to smaller inverts.
I think it is still best that I add Reef safe even though most are corallivores a handful are and it is best to be aware of that. How would you go about separating Scaridae and Labridae?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is still best that I add Reef safe even though most are corallivores a handful are and it is best to be aware of that. How would you go about separating Scaridae and Labridae?
I forgot to elaborate a bit more, I didn’t mean get rid of the Reef Safe label but more elaborate on how they’re reef safe as some will eat the living slime coat off other fish (The false cleaners) and others are corallivorous.

As for separating Scaridae from Labridae, I would do one document on Labrids and then another one on Scaridae as both have a few genera (Obviously Scaridae has very few in comparison to Labridae). I would still keep both in this thread as they are related families.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to elaborate a bit more, I didn’t mean get rid of the Reef Safe label but more elaborate on how they’re reef safe as some will eat the living slime coat off other fish (The false cleaners) and others are corallivorous.

As for separating Scaridae from Labridae, I would do one document on Labrids and then another one on Scaridae as both have a few genera (Obviously Scaridae has very few in comparison to Labridae). I would still keep both in this thread as they are related families.
Okay, thanks I'll look into it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back