Wrasse document!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again, but this time with wrasse! Thanks for the idea @Slocke! The first was The nano aquarium fish compatibility document https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcing-nano-aquarium-fish-compatibility-document.958538/
Next will be a coral document.

let me know if there should be different categories than those added so far and if I am missing any species. And as always, feedback much appreciated. (At some point I might add categories (not sure what they would be yet though) so take a look at the bottom of the document and you will be able to click on them. Here is a link to the actual document for those interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

Thoughts on Pseudocheilinus aggression. I’d be tempted to classify them as fully “aggressive”?

@i cant think @SaltyT you should see this!
Glad to hear it! I have changed it for now, are there any other categories that I should add specific to wrasse?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know liveaquaria calls them easy, but I really feel like telling new aquarists that any wetmorella species is easy is deceptive and arguably inaccurate. Not always great eaters and really need a healthy pod population to thrive.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know liveaquaria calls them easy, but I really feel like telling new aquarists that any wetmorella species is easy is deceptive and arguably inaccurate. Not always great eaters and really need a healthy pod population to thrive.
I have to agree with that, what should they be classified as? Intermediate?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it! I have changed it for now, are there any other categories that I should add specific to wrasse?
Sand sleeping or not and you can probably remove diet as they are all carnivores (though carnivore is misunderstood and they should still get access to nori).
I'd focus on Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Halichoeres, and Macropharyngodon, as they are the most kept. Then maybe anampses and coris.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh thats a good one, it makes sense to remove diet so I’ll do that too.
Sand sleeping or not and you can probably remove diet as they are all carnivores (though carnivore is misunderstood and they should still get access to nori).
I'd focus on Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Halichoeres, and Macropharyngodon, as they are the most kept. Then maybe anampses and coris.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again, but this time with wrasse! Thanks for the idea @Slocke! The first was The nano aquarium fish compatibility document https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcing-nano-aquarium-fish-compatibility-document.958538/
Next will be a coral document.

let me know if there should be different categories than those added so far and if I am missing any species. And as always, feedback much appreciated. (At some point I might add categories (not sure what they would be yet though) so take a look at the bottom of the document and you will be able to click on them. Here is a link to the actual document for those interested.

That photo for Pseudocheilinops ataenia doesn’t show their true beauty ;)
These guys are the peaceful sline.
D35180DC-D875-4AE3-ACAB-7DB5ACB40852.jpeg

Also, I wouldn’t label these guys as easy either, the truth is although they look like the Sixline, they’re rather hard to get established into a reef tank. Then once they’re established they take a while to warm up to you so you have to dump the food in and either leave or stay incredibly still to make sure they do feed.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That photo for Pseudocheilinops ataenia doesn’t show their true beauty ;)
These guys are the peaceful sline.
D35180DC-D875-4AE3-ACAB-7DB5ACB40852.jpeg

Also, I wouldn’t label these guys as easy either, the truth is although they look like the Sixline, they’re rather hard to get established into a reef tank. Then once they’re established they take a while to warm up to you so you have to dump the food in and either leave or stay incredibly still to make sure they do feed.
Ok ill change it, thanks. It was hard to find a photo that fit nicely and that was the best one I could find, all the others were square and you wouldn't have been able to see anything.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill change it, thanks. It was hard to find a photo that fit nicely and that was the best one I could find, all the others were square and you wouldn't have been able to see anything.
No worries!
That was my first ever pink streak (Although my first ever wrasse I owned was actually a Tanakai Possum) and he got to around a year with me. But that guy sparked my love for this species and now I’ve owned 5, with I believe 2 currently, maybe 3 but I think the third didn’t really do well from day one anyway - as expected, that’s why I got 3 knowing one may not make it but now I have a beautiful pair.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries!
That was my first ever pink streak (Although my first ever wrasse I owned was actually a Tanakai Possum) and he got to around a year with me. But that guy sparked my love for this species and now I’ve owned 5, with I believe 2 currently, maybe 3 but I think the third didn’t really do well from day one anyway - as expected, that’s why I got 3 knowing one may not make it but now I have a beautiful pair.
They sure are beautiful! I have my little yellow banded possum wrasse who has made me 100% certain every tank I own from now on must have a wrasse no matter what!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that took a minute and a half! I am going to need some advice of different categories because the miscellaneous category has way too many wrasse and I am sure that there are many other categories to be made. Also, what is a better name for striper wrasse? I know that is a terrible name, but I am not sure what else that group could be called as I don't really want to go by scientific name unless you think that would be best? I'm going to need some advice please @i cant think @Slocke @SaltyT Also I forgot to mention that I am quite sure a few of the Sand sleeping category results are wrong so please let me know if I need to change them.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocheilinus that translates to "false lipped" which isn't great so I'd just go with "lined" wrasse.
Halichoeres wrasse is the biggest genus of wrasse in the hobby. The name translates to "salt pig" so I call them "pig" wrasse. Anampses is another category you could make its own and they are known as the "tamarin" wrasse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Pseudocheilinus that translates to "false lipped" which isn't great so I'd just go with "lined" wrasse.
Well halichoeres wrasse is the biggest genus of wrasse in the hobby. The name translates to "salt pig" so I call them "pig" wrasse. Anampses is another category you could make its own and they are known as the "tamarin" wrasse.
Alright, thanks. Ill do that. I agree pig wrasse maybe isn't the best idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back