Wrasse Hunter

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a red coris wrasse. He is great at picking out bus and other pests but he also likes to flip over some coral and bother things. He had never ate any coral but I recently added a potters Angel and he won't stop harassing him. I'm going to move the wrasse to another tank but I do want suggestions on other wrasse's that is great at scoping out bugs and pest but maybe more peaceful.
I was thinking a yellow Coris maybe better but looking for suggestions.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Anampses would be my best bughounds - also a peaceful lot & don't turn things upside down like the red coris does

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I've been really lucky with pests on the SPS and I'm sure he had helped but causes me more of a headache than it's worth. I have a beautiful rainbow trachy that he always flips over

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the smallest halichoeres wrasses, red lined and yellow "coris", and they're both extremely peaceful and just cruise the tank all day looking for stuff. presumably pests, but also pods and whatever else they can find. they haven't mowed down any CUC, but apparently that's a possible risk. I just added some semi small snails and they didn't even give them a once over

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any problems with the crabs or snails. I don't mind the risk of inverts. More worried about any nipping at coral

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about actual coris wrasses, but I don't think halichoeres wrasses are coral nippers? they're listed as reef safe with caution because some can mow down inverts. If anything, your potters angel is probably a much bigger risk of munching on corals

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the potters is the closet reef safe Angel and it's beauty is worth the risk. I'm very observant so I watch closely to check for nipping. If I see it he comes out immediately

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the better "utility" wrasses is the Melanurus. I did have one make short work of snails (especially turbos, for some reason), but never had one nip live corals.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the potters is the closet reef safe Angel and it's beauty is worth the risk. I'm very observant so I watch closely to check for nipping. If I see it he comes out immediately

Actually the Potter's, Coral Beauty and Flame Angel are all about the same for coral nipping proclivities (better than your average dwarf angel). Potter's isn't as common, hence you don't see as many complaints. As for Wrasses, a Yellow Coris Wrasse (actually a mislabel as it's really a Halichoeres Wrasse), Red Lined Wrasse (H.Biocellatus) or Christmas Wrasse (specifically the H.Claudia variety) would be the best choices. Melanurus are beautiful but are more prone to going after your cleanup crew and can be assertive to other wrasses once established.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the small Halichoeres species are a good option. Species such as yellow coris, redline, and greyhead will eat pests, but are usually fine with cuc.
Any of the Anampses would be my best bughounds - also a peaceful lot & don't turn things upside down like the red coris does
But Anampses can be pretty delicate.
They can still be a risk. I know for a certainty that there are a few threads that speak of potters starting out coral safe, then eventually start picking at corals.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back