Wrasse in acclimation box

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking seriously about a pintail that has been qt’ed. Would add a container of sand for it as I am bare bottom. Question though, how do I deal with adding it to the system using a acclimation box ? The box is big but don’t think it will hold a big enough container of sand for it.
Thanks for your advice,
Jim

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a single PVC ell in the acclimation box for cover. Usually 2 or 3 days is long enough to see if there is sustained aggression. This almost always would be from another established wrasse but other fish may show aggression.

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None yet. Have several flashers and Tanaka pygmies coming once qt is over. Have two tanks to decide things in too. 180 Fowler and 120 reef.
180 is butterflies, 120 has butterflies, Cardinals and an anthias so far.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually roll 24-72 hours in the box. Ive never kept butterlies but wouldn't think they'd be all that bothered by a fairy wrasse. All youll need is an elbow for a hiding spot and keep an eye on the flashers. I suspect they’ll be the ones to show the most interest.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it the flashers are planned in the future? If so those are the ones who will most need the acclimation box. I would expect the butterflies to show no interest in the fairy wrasse but you never know. Better to be cautious and use the acclimation box as @Scurvy recommended above.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing for acclimation boxes going forward, try and put a white bottom of some type on it. I noticed that when I was introducing my social last year it would constantly try and dive through the bottom, and if yours was like mine, it had slots cut that scuffed the fish up some. I got a local place to cut a square of acrylic that I just cemented in the bottom, cost me $5 and the pintail / exquisite both did not do the same diving behavior with said white bottom when they were in it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing for acclimation boxes going forward, try and put a white bottom of some type on it. I noticed that when I was introducing my social last year it would constantly try and dive through the bottom, and if yours was like mine, it had slots cut that scuffed the fish up some. I got a local place to cut a square of acrylic that I just cemented in the bottom, cost me $5 and the pintail / exquisite both did not do the same diving behavior with said white bottom when they were in it.

Or a black bottom. Starboard is good stuff to use for this, either white or black.

And some acclimation boxes come with an opaque bottom, like this one.

OP
OP
JMM744

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, all wrasses might be added at the same time. My acclimation box has a clear bottom. Forgot to mention, two other wrasses are Tanaka Pygmys. One in each tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back