Wrasse Selection Question

TSM Aquatics

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
@evolved @saltyhog The original All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria is locked :/

I'm thinking of getting either the Red Sea Reefer XL300 (3' 65 gal display) or the XL 425 (4' 88 gal display) I'm thinking of getting the wrasse below, the first group is my for sure group, the rest would be great to get if I can, the flame is more difficult now. I'm also still debating on if I want to do sand or bare bottom, but I believe both fairy and flasher wrasse do not need sand. I wanted to make sure my notes are correct and if there are any thoughts or suggestions are also welcomed.

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri - Peaceful - 40 gal
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri - Peaceful - 40 gal
Red Tail Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus rubricaudalis - Peaceful - 55 gal
Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus flavianalis - Peaceful - 55 gal
Pintail Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus isosceles - Peaceful - 40 gal
Sailfin Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis - Peaceful - 75 gal

Diamond-Tail Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus attenuatus - Peaceful - 55 gal
Madagascar Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus - Peaceful - 55 gal
Flame Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus jordani - Peaceful - 90 gal

MotorCityCorals

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Evolved is gone. That's why his threads are locked.
You are correct that fairies and flashers don't need sand.

Is the sailfin the blue throat? Those are supposedly pretty aggressive.

OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Really!? dang he was a bundle of knowledge.

yes blue throat I think. I saw that in his earlier chart but I thought they reclassified him to be less aggressive, a few sites that have them listed state peaceful.
Evolved is gone. That's why his threads are locked.
You are correct that fairies and flashers don't need sand.

Is the sailfin the blue throat? Those are supposedly pretty aggressive.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
@evolved @saltyhog The original All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria is locked :/

I'm thinking of getting either the Red Sea Reefer XL300 (3' 65 gal display) or the XL 425 (4' 88 gal display) I'm thinking of getting the wrasse below, the first group is my for sure group, the rest would be great to get if I can, the flame is more difficult now. I'm also still debating on if I want to do sand or bare bottom, but I believe both fairy and flasher wrasse do not need sand. I wanted to make sure my notes are correct and if there are any thoughts or suggestions are also welcomed.

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri - Peaceful - 40 gal
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri - Peaceful - 40 gal
Red Tail Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus rubricaudalis - Peaceful - 55 gal
Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus flavianalis - Peaceful - 55 gal
Pintail Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus isosceles - Peaceful - 40 gal
Sailfin Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis - Peaceful - 75 gal

Diamond-Tail Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus attenuatus - Peaceful - 55 gal
Madagascar Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus - Peaceful - 55 gal
Flame Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus jordani - Peaceful - 90 gal

I would not get the C. cyanogularis unless it would be the only wrasse in the tank.

That's a lot of flasher wrasses in a 4' tank ...definitely use an acclimation box. The Red Tail and the Yellowfin are very similar.....if you find a source for a Red Tail, PLEASE let me know. It's my favorite flasher (tie). ;Happy

The diamond tails often get very dark over time in a reef aquarium. Mine did.

I have kept or currently have all of those except the cyanogularis and P. hemitaeniatus (which is a toss up for my favorite flasher). You have great tastes in wrasses! ;Smuggrin

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Really!? dang he was a bundle of knowledge.

yes blue throat I think. I saw that in his earlier chart but I thought they reclassified him to be less aggressive, a few sites that have them listed state peaceful.
It's all relative. In general fairy wrasses are peaceful, so any website will categorize them that way. Some are more aggressive than others, and will tolerate other fairy wrasses less.

There are examples of other groups of fishes that are peaceful, but don't tolerate others of their kind: bangaii cardinals, or firefish.

Hope that helps.

I believe @OrionN has a blue throat with other wrasses in a large tank. Maube we can get him to chime in on that, and wrasses in general.

OP
shadow1013

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I k ow it was a bit. Was planning on trying to go a bit heavy on the rock to have room for coral so hopefully lots of caves for homes and was hoping to get them in at the same time so they could get their own place without issues.

I would not get the C. cyanogularis unless it would be the only wrasse in the tank.

That's a lot of flasher wrasses in a 4' tank ...definitely use an acclimation box. The Red Tail and the Yellowfin are very similar.....if you find a source for a Red Tail, PLEASE let me know. It's my favorite flasher (tie). ;Happy

The diamond tails often get very dark over time in a reef aquarium. Mine did.

I have kept or currently have all of those except the cyanogularis and P. hemitaeniatus (which is a toss up for my favorite flasher). You have great tastes in wrasses! ;Smuggrin

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Personally, I adore Pygmy wrasses. My favorites are the Pink Streaked (aka the cryptic 6 line) wrasse and the White Banded Possum Wrasse. Both max out at like 2-3 inches and can be kept in a 10 gallon tank. Both are fully reef safe and very peaceful. A little on the expensive side considering their size, however, they’re also rarer and more desirable than most other dwarf wrasses.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Blue throat fairy should be keep in very large tank only. 300 gal plus. He will be the king of the tank. But he is very beautiful. He flashes other fish too not just lasher.
very beautiful wrasse. He does not loose color but become more brilliant with time
C1831B18-4CC6-4482-BE49-19B4D6BCE7D4.jpeg

TSM Aquatics

What temperature do you think it too high for your reef tank?

Votes: 33 10.3%

Votes: 60 18.8%

Votes: 60 18.8%

Votes: 71 22.2%

Votes: 46 14.4%
  • 84+

Votes: 41 12.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.8%
Route 66 Marine Wholesale