Wrasses after Tangs?

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, question about order of additions in my tank. Have a 150 gallon reef, I’m transferring all my fish from my other systems at my old house.
Currently have 2 clowns, 1 hawk fish, 1 chromis in the new tank, I want to add a couple wrasses for pest control, but I have a foxface and 3 tangs still in temporary holding tanks (due to moving), would I be ok to add the tangs before adding the wrasses or would this cause aggression issues once I add the wrasses in? I’ve already heard to add tangs last

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the tangs?
Size and kinds of wrasses?
If these fish are all "small" it probably won't matter much.
More info and the answer you get may be more accurate and precise, but you won't know until you put them all together and see what you have! :)

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot foxface, a powder blue tang, a naso tang, and a blue hippo tang.
The foxface, naso and powder blue are all around 4 inches, with the hippo tang being around 5 inches.

I haven’t picked out the wrasses yet due to still doing research but looking at something like a yellow Coris wrasse and an exquisite flasher wrasse

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang killed my yellow coris wrasse , so I would recommend adding the tangs at the end based on my personal experience .

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank, you have options. My yellow coris is a great pest hunter. I would also consider a melanarus wrasse. They are beautiful and great for pest too. I have a coris, rhomboid, pintail fairy and 6 line in my tank.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told, Tangs couldn't care less about wrasses. If they are of similar size, then a little bickering may happen, but they will figure it out quickly as the tang or tangs grow. I have 6 tangs and 4 wrasses currently, and they figured it out very quickly. If you add wrasses after the tangs, they will likely hide for a while, but, eventually they will find their place and come out.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of damsel? I would add it last. My Starcki would constantly chase my lineatus

Captain Hook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200.gif

I’d be curious as well. Using crushed coral for the sand bed so I’m pretty sure the melanarus is out as they need to bury themselves at night. How’s the yellow coris wrasse? Reef safe?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back