Wuzzo's First Reef

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so I have this right; you started the tank roughly 2 months ago, correct? Sorry if I got that wrong, but on that assumption herewith my opinions:
Even with live rock and starter, you have a few more months of noise and tank nasties before nearly any intervention you do is helpful. Ride it out. Keep to your regular maintenance schedule.
That said -- if you have not already done so -- get your test kits together. Some recs: Salifert: Ca and ALK. RED Sea: Nitrates (NO3). Hanna PO4 checker https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UNK3I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Make sure your RO/DI is testing 0 TDS to keep the diagnostics simpler if nothing else.

If you have TEST numbers, then share asap along with system volume and some flow information. Be ready for a range of suggestions :)

IMO: Ride it out where you are; tolerate the uglies, they are building your ecosystem from scratch right now. Don't add more fish or corals until Thanksgiving and add slow or low bioload animals. There are going to be more swings. Green hair algae maybe next. Maybe you skip that and go to diatoms. Hopefully no dinos; they are depressing. If something is dead dying get it out. Start testing and logging. Keep it fun.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 2 of the Hydor Korilia pumps for your tank (they're the cheapest wavemakers I've found), or find some used ones from here. Also make sure you're topping your water off to keep your salinity in check and doing regular water changes. Since your tank is so small I'd suggest buying premixed water from your LFS. You've had a decent start thus far, we're here to help make sure you can have sustained success. In your space time I'd suggest watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube since it should tell you basically everything you need to know about setting up a tank.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October till now: Alot of stuff is happening. Alot of cyano and algae is gone. It was the flow all along. I got two pumps. But this morning I saw what looked like a small Amphipod scurrying around my tank. It spooked me when i turned the light on. Any ideas? I'll get right on pics.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was gone so long, I completely forgot about this site.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm getting better at this hobby. I had freshwater before.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I plan on getting a couple coral frags (montipora blastomussa and some euphyllia) the cyano is really clearing up and I think ight is also helping it grow cause' when I use the blue light it almost goes away.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I think the white light is the problem, not ight

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any recommendations for small but interesting/colorful fish for my tank?

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like two top fin pumps for now, one is 171 gph and one is 118 gph.

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like two top fin pumps for now, one is 171 gph and one is 118 gph.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already got a couple gobys and a clownfish in there so I'm reluctant to say add anything extra as you'll be overstocked. There are people who keep 4-5 small fish in the Evo successfully but have long established tanks with heavily upgraded filters - they could easily end up with territory issues in the future though so most people wouldn't recommend more than 3.

Total flow rate you have is fine in my opinion.

Got any recent photos of the tank?

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you read a page back, I don't have a clown goby anymore. He is no longer with us.:(

OP
OP
Wuzzo

Wuzzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures:
IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2786.JPG
IMG_2789.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back