Yellow Coral/Clown Goby Flashing

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I bought a yellow clown Goby in November along with a few other fish. I haven’t added any new fish to this tank since that time. Suddenly, the yellow clown goby has begun to flash against the corals. He is still at his full, vibrant colour and is also eating. I should mention that this tank had a velvet outbreak and killed almost all of my fish. I had done a 76 day fallow period and these fish were added after that. I wouldn’t be inclined to think it’s velvet as velvet killed my fish very quickly. A few weeks ago my Longnose Hawkfish flashed a few times but it hasn’t happened since and he now eats like a pig whereas he didn’t while he was flashing. I’m not sure whether to leave it as is for now or take precautions.
thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I bought a yellow clown Goby in November along with a few other fish. I haven’t added any new fish to this tank since that time. Suddenly, the yellow clown goby has begun to flash against the corals. He is still at his full, vibrant colour and is also eating. I should mention that this tank had a velvet outbreak and killed almost all of my fish. I had done a 76 day fallow period and these fish were added after that. I wouldn’t be inclined to think it’s velvet as velvet killed my fish very quickly. A few weeks ago my Longnose Hawkfish flashed a few times but it hasn’t happened since and he now eats like a pig whereas he didn’t while he was flashing. I’m not sure whether to leave it as is for now or take precautions.
thank you

If the goby is still flashing after a couple of days, and especially if the flashing gets worse, flukes can be one diagnosis. The timing and lack of other symptoms line up. I just have not had issues with that species having flukes before - not to say they don't get them, I just haven't seen it myself. LN hawks do get flukes pretty often. There are many species of flukes, with three basic types affecting reef fish: gill flukes (flashing and rapid breathing) Gyrodactylus skin flukes (usually just flashing) and then Neobenedenia (cloudy eyes, tattered fins, rapid breathing later on).

If you have access to Prazipro, that might be a treatment to try - mostly reef safe.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the goby is still flashing after a couple of days, and especially if the flashing gets worse, flukes can be one diagnosis. The timing and lack of other symptoms line up. I just have not had issues with that species having flukes before - not to say they don't get them, I just haven't seen it myself. LN hawks do get flukes pretty often. There are many species of flukes, with three basic types affecting reef fish: gill flukes (flashing and rapid breathing) Gyrodactylus skin flukes (usually just flashing) and then Neobenedenia (cloudy eyes, tattered fins, rapid breathing later on).

If you have access to Prazipro, that might be a treatment to try - mostly reef safe.

Jay Hemdal
Thank you for your help Jay it’s much appreciated. I’ve got some praziquantel on hand so I can use that as a precautionary measure in case it is indeed flukes. I just wanted to ask, is it common with flukes that a fish will stop flashing entirely as is the case with my Longnose Hawkfish. Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help Jay it’s much appreciated. I’ve got some praziquantel on hand so I can use that as a precautionary measure in case it is indeed flukes. I just wanted to ask, is it common with flukes that a fish will stop flashing entirely as is the case with my Longnose Hawkfish. Thank you
No - that is unusual. In a few RARE cases, fish developed partial immunity to the flukes and the fish reaches a sort of status quo with the flukes...I don't see that very often, and more often in FW fish.

jay

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - that is unusual. In a few RARE cases, fish developed partial immunity to the flukes and the fish reaches a sort of status quo with the flukes...I don't see that very often, and more often in FW fish.

jay
Hi Jay,
I’ve followed your advice and administered Praziquantel to the the tank. The Yellow Coral Goby flashed like crazy for about 5 minutes. 1 day has passed since I’ve put the medication in the tank and I’ve only seen him flash once since that first burst. I’m hoping that means it’s worked and he’s on the road to recovery. His right gill was quite red and that looks to have subsided. Thank you so much for your help! If I have any further problems regarding this matter I’ll update the thread.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
I’ve followed your advice and administered Praziquantel to the the tank. The Yellow Coral Goby flashed like crazy for about 5 minutes. 1 day has passed since I’ve put the medication in the tank and I’ve only seen him flash once since that first burst. I’m hoping that means it’s worked and he’s on the road to recovery. His right gill was quite red and that looks to have subsided. Thank you so much for your help! If I have any further problems regarding this matter I’ll update the thread.
If the issue is egglaying flukes, the prazi won't kill any unhatched eggs in the tank. These can then hatch out and reinfect the fish. It is usually best to treat a second time, about 8 days after the first treatment.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back