Yellow Coris/Banana Wrasse

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I got a Yellow Coris/Banana Wrasse on Tuesday afternoon. I drop acclimated and did everything that I was supposed to do. He immediately dug into the sand and has not come out since. Should I worry at all or should I just let him be for awhile?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris and Banana wrasse are two different wrasses. Yellow Coris gets to about 5-6" does well in community reef tanks.

Banana Wrasse gets up to a 14" and will eat anything it can tear off the reef or out of the rock work.

Yellows will dissappear for days at a time. I have 3 in my tank, and sometimes the big one with vanish for a day or 2 and then pop back out. Don't be surprised if you don't see him for a week or so. He will be fine.

Dave B

mjgonereefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I learned that the hard way. My banana wrasse was fine for a long time but now just terrorizes everything. I wish he would hide and not come out. Too energetic. *******. Wish I had a coris wrasse

wzf106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give him some time. my yellow coris hid for about 3 days in the sand before i saw him

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him a week ago and just got back from vacation. The lights are off so I’m not going to look, but if he isn’t out tomorrow should I be worried?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing you got a Halichoeres chrysus not a Thalassoma lutescens?? One is a good wrasse the other is a big scary beast. They can spend a week or so under the sand though.

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing you got a Halichoeres chrysus not a Thalassoma lutescens?? One is a good wrasse the other is a big scary beast. They can spend a week or so under the sand though.
Definitely got the Halichoeres Chrysus (Yellow Coris Wrasse). I really hope he is ok.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Stocke said they can take time to come out. The key word is be patient, He is one of the main Wrasse experts on the wrasse lovers thread. I had a Radiant wrasse hid for over a week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back