Yellow sponge good or bad

Shootermcg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all u reefers out there I'm hoping u can help me out. I'm new to the hobby. I've got a 100gal tank that's been up and running for about six months. And everything seems to be good in regards to water, fish and coral health. So now for the reason I'm here. I found something on the cone skeleton of my elegance coral after a lot of research ( which never seems to be enough) I think I've found what it is.
I think it's yellow sponge which after researching I believe it releases toxins (correct me if I'm wrong) . Now the big question is do I leave it to see what happens or do I stop it before it's to late.i know how u like ur picture so I've attached some. Any advise would be appreciated thanks
Dougie

IMG_20190914_222312.jpg IMG_20190914_222518.jpg IMG_20190914_222300.jpg IMG_20190914_222311.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shootermcg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^This^^^

Sponges are a sign of a healthy tank. If you look around, you'll find them in several other colors as well
Thanks for the replies guys. I do like the look of the little fella I was just conserved because it is attached to the coral itself. And worried incase it does damage to it or smothers it

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it happens to be an encrusting sponge, there is the possibility that it can encroach on the space the coral wants. If that becomes an issue, it is easy to just scrape it back out of the way.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had blue sponges lol... always got jealous seeing a local reefer's blue sponges on his LR.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sponges are good, yes. But that particular one is bad. I can't recall the exact name but its encrusting and invasive. give it enough time, it'll start taking over your rock. Ive seen it grow over coral tissue and kill it. if you can scrape it off, you;ll be better off.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has been up for 3ish years, and sponges are a great sign. Initially we all get the pineapple white sponges that come and go. I have some neon yellow sponges that look identical to the picture, and they have not harmed anything. Appearances are not everything, could be a difference species, but if it is identical to the ones I have then you are safe.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know sponges could spontaneously grow in somebody's tank from apparently nothing. Is it like coraline algae? It can just get introduced as a hitchhiker?

OP
OP
S

Shootermcg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. But here a wee video of the elegance eating last night so he seems to be doing okay so far with the sponge attached to it

:)

OP
OP
S

Shootermcg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have u found they grow? Do they stay small? Mine is about the size of a garden pea just now. Or do they expand and become invasive?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys. I do like the look of the little fella I was just conserved because it is attached to the coral itself. And worried incase it does damage to it or smothers it
For some reason my yellow sponges grow best on my elegance as well. The sponges growing are nothing compared to the coral getting nipped back by spawning clownfish every few days. My elegance has been with me for over 20 years, so I guess it’s OK:)
4DFDDD00-E1E3-4E77-B1A9-C6A67A0774E8.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back