Yellow tang acclimation box

chinta99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a yellow tang today and he’s currently in an acclimation box while he gets used to his tank mates , one of which is the notorious …hole purple tang , my question is , how long have you guys had your fishes in an acclimation box ? He had plenty of swim room btw it’s a pretty big acclimation box

OP
OP
C

chinta99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons , ofc I plan to upgrade , the purple is around 3 inches , the yellow is about 2 inches . I already know it’s a gamble , worst case scenario I’ll trade it in or give him away to a local reefer . I figured 100$ Was a decent price not to pass up

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually leave new tangs in an acclimation box for 3 days. On the day I release it, I leave the lights off and tape up a bunch of mirrors all around the tank. This way the aggressor is too busy fighting his reflection to notice the new guy is out and about.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know your exact set up, and where your rocks are, etc., but I like to move the acclimation box around a day at a time for a few days-- high, low by the sand, over by one set of rocks, then another--so each of the existing fish get the feel of having "their" favorite area "invaded." :cool: If no aggression anywhere in the tank, you're as ready to go as you'll ever be.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once our home remodel is finished, we are upgrading to a Water Box 7225 peninsula tank. We plan to have three reef structures with channels dividing them. Precut egg crate plastic light shields will slip down between the reef structures. Instead of an acclimation box, we will be able to separate off a third of the tank when we need to introduce a new fish. We will leave the divider in place for a week or two and allow the new fish to claim a space and learn all of the hiding spots before the introduction. Hope our plan works!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan, @JPM San Diego. I have used egg crate and plexiglass dividers on a temporary basis from time to time-- made easier, as you noted, if your rock work is kind of pre-planned to allow for them to just drop down from the top of the tank to the bottom. Things like spare magnetic scrapers can be used to hold them in place.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I got a yellow tang today and he’s currently in an acclimation box while he gets used to his tank mates , one of which is the notorious …hole purple tang , my question is , how long have you guys had your fishes in an acclimation box ? He had plenty of swim room btw it’s a pretty big acclimation box
I generally go 3-5 days

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys see any aggression during acclimation box phases ?
Yes, my yellow tang was the only one that kept trying to attack my new powder blue. Over the course of the 3 days, there was less and less, but it didn't go away completely. What I did notice was that my powder blue was actually trying to fight back. So at the very least, I knew he would hold his own. To this day, and only ever at night, the two will still occasionally chase each other. But it only lasts a few seconds. Might have to do with me needing to add in more sleeping caves for them or something because it never happens during the day.

Back