Yellow tang in a 40?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just googled "tank size for yellow tang", it took 3 seconds.

The recommended tank size for juvenile yellow tank is 100 gallons, and 150 gallons for an adult, you are suggesting a tank less than half the recommended size. Just me personally, I dont do things like that.
doesn’t make it authoritative tho…. I mean heck really 5 or 6 ft is whats needed eventually for acantharus and zebrasoma (spelling) … but there are options anymore before you’re fish gets that big…outside of Everglades dumping arggh

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is too small still IMO they need swimming room. In the wild they form schools of hundreds and cruise for miles.
Which tank is like „in the wild“?
Everyone tells how they do in the wild while still holding tangs in tiny glass-boxes :) Its crazy

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son picked out this little guy for his 40b about 8 months ago. He was only a little bigger than a quarter and now I would say pushing 3. Just to put into perspective how quick they can grow if well fed. Good news is we're upgrading to a 220 next month. So the question is am I confused or did I secretly plan this? My wife say's both......... And she's right :cool: IMG_0109 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is too small still IMO they need swimming room. In the wild they form schools of hundreds and cruise for miles.
Why do you think it is they travel miles? Is it because they're searching for food and that's all they can find to fill their bellies? Tang's in a smaller tank or pretty much well fed everyday. I'm not saying that it's not true I'm just saying why do they travel so far?

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hey guys! I currently have a 40 breeder and was wondering if I could put a juvenile yellow tang in my tank for about 2 years before I upgrade to rather a 75 gallon or a 100 gallon. Provided there will be a lot of swimming space while also some crevasses for it to go in (talking about my 40 breeder).

Hey guys! I currently have a 40 breeder and was wondering if I could put a juvenile yellow tang in my tank for about 2 years before I upgrade to rather a 75 gallon or a 100 gallon. Provided there will be a lot of swimming space while also some crevasses for it to go in (talking about my 40 breeder). Thanks!
I would do it, currently have a yellow tang in my 35gal.But I'll add that it was only $35 about 4 yrs ago and it was just a baby.Upgrading to the reefer 170 and even though I'll hate to let it go I'll have too.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No predators, abundant food with zero effort, I say go ahead and do it. I doubt he'll need therapy because he is depressed.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exerpt I found from an article on the subject.

A juvenile fish growing up in a too-small tank can be expected to experience stunted growth, spinal deformities, atrophied muscles and other developmental heath problems. As a result, a stunted fish's life span is significantly shortened, too

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow much faster that we think. I never had a yellow tang but I had a tiny hippo, now at 2 years old, he sure is not tiny anymore and I cannot picture it in a 40G. You do not mentioned corals, but if you have FOWLR tank, a Petco tank and a HOB filter and heater is enough. I have a FOWLR, and no fancy equipment. (No skimmer, no fans, no chilers, not even test kits, I go to my LFS for test). Just tons of rocks, and fish look healthy, and some even spay regularly. I take spaying as a sign my tank is ok. IMO if you can afford corals, you can afford tank equipment, as corals to me are the stuff with prohibitive prices.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank is like „in the wild“?
Everyone tells how they do in the wild while still holding tangs in tiny glass-boxes :) Its crazy
Well they need at least enough room to exercise their muscles and not feel cramped. Too little space is how you end up with aggression issues and stress on themselves and other inhabitants. The point isn't that they need a tank that is miles wide, but that they are not built to hover over a single coral like damsels and clowns are. They need exercise to stay healthy.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow much faster that we think. I never had a yellow tang but I had a tiny hippo, now at 2 years old, he sure is not tiny anymore and I cannot picture it in a 40G. You do not mentioned corals, but if you have FOWLR tank, a Petco tank and a HOB filter and heater is enough. I have a FOWLR, and no fancy equipment. (No skimmer, no fans, no chilers, not even test kits, I go to my LFS for test). Just tons of rocks, and fish look healthy, and some even spay regularly. I take spaying as a sign my tank is ok. IMO if you can afford corals, you can afford tank equipment, as corals to me are the stuff with prohibitive prices.
Thank you!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they need at least enough room to exercise their muscles and not feel cramped. Too little space is how you end up with aggression issues and stress on themselves and other inhabitants. The point isn't that they need a tank that is miles wide, but that they are not built to hover over a single coral like damsels and clowns are. They need exercise to stay healthy.
Thank you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back