Yellow Tang - Need Advice

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I recently splurged and dropped over $200 on a beautiful yellow tang! He's currently in a 55 gallon, but hes small, and will be transferred to a 105g + when large enough. He was in a QT tank with Ich at the LFS about a month before I bought him, so they treated him and QT'd for me and I saw him eat like a horse and swim. He's clearly very healthy and is disease free!

The issue is, since dropped him in the tank, approximately 2 days now, he constantly paces along the back wall of the tank along the live rock, He rarely stops, and comes to the front where I can appreciate him. Its really bothering me because here in Sydney they cost over $200 and I didnt buy him to have him out of sight all the time. He does the same loop basically in between the rocks at the back of the tank.. When the lights go out he calms down and finds a spot at the back to rest. I should add hes also very afraid of me, extremely skittish and shy whenever my hand is in the water etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this behaviour normal? Does it wear off? If so how long does it take? Are they normally pacers or do they ever just cruise around?

Appreciate any help!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will become less skittish as he realizes you will give him food lol. The pacing behavior sounds like the tank is too small, and a pretty common problem with tangs. I would move him to the bigger tank now rather than later if you can do so.

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own the bigger tank yet, Hes gonna have to wait about 2.5 yrs XD! Common problem with tangs? Whats a way to solve it, hes not too big for this tank yet hes got HEAPS of open space at the front ! the tank is over 3 foot long, and hes still small

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine needs places to hide like caves etc. What other tank inhabitants do you have? Are you putting seaweed in a clip for him to eat? if not, maybe put on on the front of the tank glass..

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine needs places to hide like caves etc. What other tank inhabitants do you have? Are you putting seaweed in a clip for him to eat? if not, maybe put on on the front of the tank glass..

The network of caves extends to the back, but he constantly paces up the back and at night sits in his cave! I thought he'd be a real character etc. Otherwise wouldn't of spent all that money. I have a small Margaritifer Chromis (Black body, white tail) Yellow tail blue damsel, clownfish, and a sand goby

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The network of caves extends to the back, but he constantly paces up the back and at night sits in his cave! I thought he'd be a real character etc. Otherwise wouldn't of spent all that money. I have a small Margaritifer Chromis (Black body, white tail) Yellow tail blue damsel, clownfish, and a sand goby

Probably just needs time to adjust.. as soon as he figures out he's the Lion King, he'll be fine :)

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just needs time to adjust.. as soon as he figures out he's the Lion King, he'll be fine :)

LFS said not to drip acclimate so I just temp acclimated and popped him in, maybe that stressed him out? They said the drip acclimation = ammonia potentially and more stress for the Tang

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said not to drip acclimate so I just temp acclimated and popped him in, maybe that stressed him out? They said the drip acclimation = ammonia potentially and more stress for the Tang

Hmm.. I did kind of a hybrid drip acclimation by slowly merging tank water with the water the fish was shipped in, over like two hours. But, he's probably just stressing over his tank mates more than anything. Has he showed any sort of dominance over any other fish? are there other fish bullying him? The first couple of days, my yellow tang would back up, and take a swipe with his tail at other fish. I have a flame angel, and the two of them squared up the first couple days, and now they're like best buddies... I really think you should give it more time. Is he eating? That's the most important question..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. Though pacing usually is a sign it needs more space. Give it grazing opportunities so it slows down. It is also possible he is seeing his reflection along the corners if the room lights are on.

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does it when the room lights are off and the tank lights are on. Does the pacing stop.. Theres noori on a clip and in the rocks but he barely stops to graze and hasnt touched the Noori.

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. I did kind of a hybrid drip acclimation by slowly merging tank water with the water the fish was shipped in, over like two hours. But, he's probably just stressing over his tank mates more than anything. Has he showed any sort of dominance over any other fish? are there other fish bullying him? The first couple of days, my yellow tang would back up, and take a swipe with his tail at other fish. I have a flame angel, and the two of them squared up the first couple days, and now they're like best buddies... I really think you should give it more time. Is he eating? That's the most important question..
sorta..

OP
OP
G

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys should update, pacing behaviour is super minimal now! He is my favorite purchase so far, such majestic species! and he also eats Nori which was a challenge in of itself. :) Makes me so happy

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys should update, pacing behaviour is super minimal now! He is my favorite purchase so far, such majestic species! and he also eats Nori which was a challenge in of itself. :) Makes me so happy

Awesome, glad to hear this!

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellow tangs are skittish at first but super tough once acclimated. Good luck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back