Yellow tang price increase

rcillig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked one up last week for $100, kind of glad now but at the time I was ******** asI felt it was too much but still wanted him.

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish friends,

I know there were a couple dozen posts regarding the Hawaii ban. This is another one.

I just came back from my LFS and discovered they listed two new yellow tangs.. at $400/each.

Apparently the owner said to keep a small stock available but at market price of $400. Why? Because fish people are impatient

I am lucky that I bought their last rescue tang 4 weeks ago at only $70. He was a rescue because no one wanted him with a blind eye.

Just curious what other price hikes have people seen lately. Please share! Thank you

20210113_160117.jpg
I am happy for all those reefers who purchased their new pets before supply and demand stepped in. Yellow Tangs are simply beautiful and contributes To algae maintenance to! I think patience is in order if you were not so fortunate and are in the market to buy a Yellow Tang. Eventually the economics will balance and so will the Hawaiian ban.

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my area the price varies.

One lfs is at 150. I spoke with him. He said hes not going to increase his price on what he already has.

Another store marked theirs up to 599.

There is a mom and pops type pet store with a saltwater section. A local hobbist bought out their stock at 84 each and is trying to flip them. He was at 450. Now is down to 450

I feel this shows the true colors on the people in the area. The lfs charging 150 knows what they are being priced at but isnt going to increase bc of what he paid. That's pretty awesome in my opinion.

The store that increased their price doesnt surprise me, but why shop their when the other store owner didnt increse his prices.

The hobbiest really rubs me the wrong way. He instantly is trying to flip them to the same local community he bought them all out from under for a large markup.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One was listed here for sale recently $100.00 nice fish

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought one for $70 before the ban?? At my LFS they were like $125! Except I dont think that theyve raised the price since the ban ... so Big Als Newmarket/Mississauga/Vaughan if you're in ontario and need a tang XD

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now there is a lot of speculative pricing. Chatted with a vendor the other day and he told me he has no idea where yellow tang pricing (or any Hawaiian fish) will end up. Will it settle at $200, $400 ..... something higher. He figures - price them at $500, see if they sell. If not, try $400, then $300 .... and so on.

Let's say that they settle at around $300. That makes collecting them from other parts of the world a lot more attractive than when they were selling for $50, so that should bolster supply somewhat. Whether the captive breeding programs can be further ramped up is unclear to me, but the same economics would apply.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got an alert for a yellow eye kole tang in stock at LA. Was 109.00, missed out. Now 350.00

Screenshot_20210203-084735_Chrome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fish friends,

I know there were a couple dozen posts regarding the Hawaii ban. This is another one.

I just came back from my LFS and discovered they listed two new yellow tangs.. at $400/each.

Apparently the owner said to keep a small stock available but at market price of $400. Why? Because fish people are impatient

I am lucky that I bought their last rescue tang 4 weeks ago at only $70. He was a rescue because no one wanted him with a blind eye.

Just curious what other price hikes have people seen lately. Please share! Thank you

20210113_160117.jpg
Those are craaaaazy prices

Ziggytzag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 places to get Yellow Tangs in the world Hawaii or Captive breakers. Don't expect Hawaii ban to go away any time soon. It was a political decision not based on science. Every one wants a Yellow Tang in their aquarium.eventually Captive breading may provide enough to supply the demand or it might not.
I don't blame retailers for raising price on what they have left in stock as resellers will take advantage of situation. This is why it's good to support your local lfs and get to know them, because even though the jacked the list price they will discount it back down for their regular customers. My Lfs always gives me a break when he can without me even asking. When the first attempt at a ban happen 2 years ago I got a yellow Tang for $30.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my M/L specimen for $80 at my LFS in August. I am friendly with the owner and we talked about the ban. He is going to mildly adjust pricing-would be crazy not to-but, will not gouge.

Obviously something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm an honest person, so I said $200 is very fair price for a M/L specimen. He seemed to agree, but I have not been back since to see what he adjusted to. Just my $.02 as I'd probably not buy for any price higher.

Just saw that LA actually has a 3 fish limit on the captive bred at a $250 each.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall learning experiences with the waves and motions in the industry. And how policy can affect the market. I do appreciate having the forums to have these discussions and ponder thoughts
The market?? It nothing but shear greed on the sellers part. Nothing more... The ban has only emboldens sellers to increase prices dramatically and then blame the ban. Since there is a ban, then how are they getting their yellow tangs... all bs!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The market?? It nothing but shear greed on the sellers part. Nothing more... The ban has only emboldens sellers to increase prices dramatically and then blame the ban. Since there is a ban, then how are they getting their yellow tangs... all bs!
The collectors and the wholesalers knew this ban was coming now. That's why they are still available.

The wholesalers just stock piled yellow tangs at the old price. Buy low sale high. Nothing new under the sun.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 places to get Yellow Tangs in the world Hawaii or Captive breakers.

Hawaii is the place where they are most common, and therefore the principal source for yellows to the hobby, but they ARE found in other places in the pacific, including the Marshall and Marianna islands. Not enough to get the prices back down though. Assume you meant captive breeders .... but, yes, that'll become a much more important part of the hobby clearly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole on DD for a cool $400 .... wonder what my chevie is 'worth'?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back