Yellow watchman goby friend help

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quarantined a yellow Watchmen goby for over a month. I recently put them in my tank about a week ago and he's having a hard time adjusting. He eats the food when it floats by him but he doesn't actively hunt it down. He stays at the very top of the dark corner of my tank. Behind my overflow basically.

Now I know introducing a pistol shrimp would be a good use of money, and I know it's as easy as dropping it in. They will eventually find each other. But I can't find a smaller pistol shrimp then a two inch long tiger pistol. Normally I wouldn't mind but my goby is only just about an inch. So the size difference is very very large. Could this prove to be an issue when introducing the shrimp? I want my Gobi to calm down and be happy but I also don't want too stress it out more by adding too big of a shrimp.

Should I put in the much larger shrimp? Or should I just wait it out longer?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friend! I also just recently introduced a YWG to my tank, and am about to post a similar ‘help’ thread. If it makes you feel any better, my goby seems like it’s acclimating to it’s new home similar to yours. As you say, you can always add a pistol shrimp; it’s more difficult taking one out. You may want to give your YWG some time to get comfortable and then add the shrimp.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friend! I also just recently introduced a YWG to my tank, and am about to post a similar ‘help’ thread. If it makes you feel any better, my goby seems like it’s acclimating to it’s new home similar to yours. As you say, you can always add a pistol shrimp; it’s more difficult taking one out. You may want to give your YWG some time to get comfortable and then add the shrimp.
That's what I was thinking. I only have 3 other inhabitants, neon goby, and 2 clowns. And I know the incompatibility of a neon goby and YWG but they *should* occupy different spaces. Also it being a 90 gal tank, I know they don't bother each other. My clowns said hi a few times but don't care much anymore and I gave the goby his qt clam shell he lived in for a month before going into the DT. just tried to make it as smooth as possible. But he still seems pretty stressed.

It's been 6 days since introduction, how long would you think to wait?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quarantined a yellow Watchmen goby for over a month. I recently put them in my tank about a week ago and he's having a hard time adjusting. He eats the food when it floats by him but he doesn't actively hunt it down. He stays at the very top of the dark corner of my tank. Behind my overflow basically.

Now I know introducing a pistol shrimp would be a good use of money, and I know it's as easy as dropping it in. They will eventually find each other. But I can't find a smaller pistol shrimp then a two inch long tiger pistol. Normally I wouldn't mind but my goby is only just about an inch. So the size difference is very very large. Could this prove to be an issue when introducing the shrimp? I want my Gobi to calm down and be happy but I also don't want too stress it out more by adding too big of a shrimp.

Should I put in the much larger shrimp? Or should I just wait it out longer?
I had my YWG for about a year wo a pistol shrimp. I’d definitely try to match the size of the 2 or have the YWG slightly bigger than the shrimp. Your YWG will be ok without a friend for now.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90g tank!? Goodness, I was envisioning a situation like mine where it’s 25g haha. In a tank that large you can probably just add the shrimp. It will be a while before they find each other.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my YWG for about a year wo a pistol shrimp. I’d definitely try to match the size of the 2 or have the YWG slightly bigger than the shrimp. Your YWG will be ok without a friend for now.
Yeah my LFS said the same when I asked. I'm going to keep calling back to see when he gets a smaller pistol shrimp. I already asked about a candy cane pistol shrimp but he said he hasn't seen one in over 2 years

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read they'd find each other but I wanted to help if I could, so I introduced the shrimp down the tube from my gravel vac right next to the goby's spot. The shrimp immediately started digging. It's only been a little while now but I think they are kiiiinnnda buddies. They aren't always next to each other but they are always near...
20221015_153615.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG was super tiny when I got him. He fit through the weir of my return and I would occasionally find him in my return. Had to wait a bit before I was able to match him to a shrimp. I own a nano tank and like mentioned before. You may be alright with adding the shrimp being a pretty good sized tank.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read they'd find each other but I wanted to help if I could, so I introduced the shrimp down the tube from my gravel vac right next to the goby's spot. The shrimp immediately started digging. It's only been a little while now but I think they are kiiiinnnda buddies. They aren't always next to each other but they are always near...
20221015_153615.jpg
I was told this or a pvc pipe. I really want the shrimp in a specific spot and I know it'll be hard. And probably won't happen. But I want to give it a shot lol

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG was super tiny when I got him. He fit through the weir of my return and I would occasionally find him in my return. Had to wait a bit before I was able to match him to a shrimp. I own a nano tank and like mentioned before. You may be alright with adding the shrimp being a pretty good sized tank.
My biggest concern is, I've heard Horror Stories of the shrimp killing the fish and with the major size difference, I'm scared it might be inevitable

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221015_153615.jpg
This is a good idea. I just dropped mine in after acclimation. I don’t have aggressive fish so they just watched him drop down onto the sand.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good idea. I just dropped mine in after acclimation. I don’t have aggressive fish so they just watched him drop down onto the sand.
I'm just picturing a shrimp going down a water slide. It's an interesting image. Probably the fastest your shrimp has ever moved in its life lol

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is, I've heard Horror Stories of the shrimp killing the fish and with the major size difference, I'm scared it might be inevitable
There is reason for concern. I happened to stumble onto the shrimp one day at an LFS and it was pretty much matched size wise so I pulled the trigger. They’ve been best buds since.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand the concern. My watchman was at the lfs for a while the guy said and was pretty full grown. It didn't have the shrimp til recently and did just fine so they definitely don't need one; maybe grow it up a little first.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part about this hobby, patience. Give it some time.
Yeah, although this is like the one instance where I'm thinking for the health of the fish. I was under the impression that they need a shrimp to feel better but from what I'm hearing that isn't always the case. I just want the little guy to feel better

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, although this is like the one instance where I'm thinking for the health of the fish. I was under the impression that they need a shrimp to feel better but from what I'm hearing that isn't always the case. I just want the little guy to feel better
Just keep an eye on him make sure he’s eating and not being bullied and he will eventually find his spot on the sand bed. Meep (my YWG) was perfectly happy by his lonesome even though he always looks grumpy.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on him make sure he’s eating and not being bullied and he will eventually find his spot on the sand bed. Meep (my YWG) was perfectly happy by his lonesome even though he always looks grumpy.
My buddy got back from leave and he helped me pick out the fish. He named it gandalf. Right now Gandalf is fighting for space in the corner with my urchin fadedalee and he looks very upset with it lol.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy got back from leave and he helped me pick out the fish. He named it gandalf. Right now Gandalf is fighting for space in the corner with my urchin fadedalee and he looks very upset with it lol.
Gandalf, nice. Lucky for Gandalf, that urchin will go away to a different part of the tank. Took Meep a lil bit to settle in. I’m sure Gandalf will find his too ;).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back