yellow wrasse , reef safe or not.

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a yellow wrasse, was told reef safe so i have it in quarantine. after looking up online i take it that its a hit or miss? only go after certain coral? shrimp when its bigger? thinking of taking it back and picking up a blenny they had. thanks

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of wrasse?if its a yellow corris wrasse yes it's reefsafe and a good fish to have

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow corriss wrass is reef safe.never bother any corals in my tank.

OP
OP
ks_reeftank

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes , yellow corris wrasse. has the little black dot on its back. i just ask because of what it says halfway down the description on saltwaterfish.com
Yellow Wrasse

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're taking info from a description riddled with misinformation...

They are completely coral safe. They pose a risk with motile inverts; which ones is variable by any given specimen. Any/all of the following could be consumed: feather dusters, snails, hermits, crabs, and (least likely) shrimp. They will also sift the sand for food, so they can be prone to throwing sand on corals which are on the sand bed.

OP
OP
ks_reeftank

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for replies, leave it to the good ol internet to have several contradicting descriptions. thats why im glad i can get on here and have several people that actually have one let me know the truths. i really do like this fish, he is always out and swimming around, i think he will be a good addtion.

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking of getting one myself. I saw the warning on "wild shrimp". Just wondering if my peppermint shrimp are goners. Didn't notice about the snails. Is that a common source of food? Stumbled upon a few nudis and read yellow wrasse will keep that problem in check. Do I have to pick nudis or shrimp and snails?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually Halichoeres chrysus leaves shrimp alone. It's rare they will target them, unless we're talking about a big specimen or tiny shrimp (think sexy shrimp). Then all bets are off.

As for snails, like all Halichoeres they might go after them on occasion. However, it's typically not so frequent that keeping snails in the tank is not an option or impossible. We're talking about occasionally picking one off here and there.

But if you don't feed them properly or often enough (something meaty 2-3 times/day), hunger can bring all sorts of new desperation.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my coris...he adds a lot of color and is a model citizen. Mine sleeps in the sand every night. I have a cleaner, blood and pederson shrimp....and he's never so much as looked at any of them. The pederson is pretty small like a sexy shrimp.

I'd say you're good to keep him!

Cyndy donahue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my yellow wrasse.Hes great with all his tank mates.He sleeps in sand....you'll see a puff of sand and he's in bed...haha when he comes out 12 hours later,all his tank mates go hang out with him.He likes everyone,and they him.Hes really cool

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they interact with other wrasses? I already have a lubbock and exquisite fairy wrasses in my 240 gallon.

Back