Yet another refugium light question

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to setup an external refugium - getting a LifeReefugium 20 x 14 x 19. My DT is running a XR15 at around 55% intensity. Trying to decide on the refugium light. At first I was considering the AI Blade Refugium, but the spectrum seems more for coral. Then I thought about AI Blade Freshwater. But at 20w, if I do the 12”, that won’t compete with my display. So, AI Prime Fug {at 46w), Kessil H160 (at 40w), or do I drop the $$$$ for the Kessil A360x (at 90w). I’m thinking the AI Fug or the H160 might do the trick with the DT at 55%, but would rather not buy “short”.

True, I could do CF, Lominie, or a host of others off of Amazon, but wasn’t sure on the PUR ratings compared to AI and Kessil. I know this subject is discussed often. I’ve been researching quite a bit for the past week.

TIA!

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a kessil h160 with a shade. And there are lots of cheap grow lights on amazon that i think would work great as well.

There is absolutely no reason to spend crazy money of a fuge light.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are so many options for lighting a refugium.
From the fairly cheap to pretty expensive.
When I started my first refugium I saw on Melvesreef.com ( the early years) he did a comparison of a couple different lights and the best that worked on his experiment was a cheapo bulb from the box store I think it was just a cfl bulb, but it had a color temp of 51k.
Combined with a cheap clamp-on fixture the total cost back then was about $12. Now the same would be maybe $20.
For some reason I went to a AI Prime Refugium fixture a few years ago on one tank and a Reef Breeders refugium light on another.
To tell you the truth I see absolutely no difference in macro growth.
Not sure what the life span is on these lights, but when they are dead I will be going back to the cheaper option.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use cheap clamp on lights with grow light bulbs ($20 each total) over 3 refugiums and chaeto grows great. I do have 2 additional led grow lights ($10 each) on the sides of my larger refugium so it's lit from 3 sides and I don't have to roll the chaeto often.
My sumps are in stands and 1 in the basement so aesthetics are a non issue but saving $$ is as long as I can get good growth.

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an H380, and have loved the results. I tried the GRO, and another cheaper bulb, but have always ended up coming back to the H380.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back