You Still Ordering Livestock?

Are you still ordering livestock or are you going to wait it out?

• I'm still ordering and not worried

Votes: 323 32.8%
  • I'm ordering but being cautious about delivery

Votes: 189 19.2%
  • No I am not ordering right now

Votes: 428 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 44 4.5%

• Total voters

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have stopped all ordering, I was in the process of setting up a nano tank when all this started, so luckily no livestock, but I decided to drain it, and put it into the closest, I don't expect I will have income for many months at this rate, and being in aviation, I doubt I will have a job to go back to, and with the way things are going, might be many months before I even have income, so a tank isn't a wise item to be spending money on.

I got an email from UPS today saying they are suspending delivery guarantees so will be interesting to see if this slows parcels down with them, and if Fedex follows or maybe they already have, but something to keep in mind.

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Toronto, and recent shipments all got delayed, one from UPS, a box of dead acros just came in today, and one from canada post, doze of dead fish in their facility I guess. Will not buy online till carriers get back to normal.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in healthcare in the Bay Area. So, I’m definitely not worried about work. Buuuut, I’m wondering if the market could dip after all this? The virus could be distant memory by summer. Or this could take a lot longer. Then maybe buying a house out here could be in reach.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't placed a coral order lately ,, I would ,, I am looking ,, vendors don't seem to be wanting to help me make the decision to place a order yet though ,, only offering about 10% off ,, when that number goes up ,, if it does lol I will start thinking about it ,,

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plastics, paper and cardboard can carry the virus for up to three days.
This study shows that the virus can live up to 9 days in some surfaces
Journal of hospital infection
7CCBFBC8-67FD-4784-84EB-83DAA43C262D.jpeg

I know that there is a lot of different data out there but you always should assume the worst if you want to be safe.
So take all the precautions needed and be safe.

Last edited:

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in healthcare in the Bay Area. So, I’m definitely not worried about work. Buuuut, I’m wondering if the market could dip after all this? The virus could be distant memory by summer. Or this could take a lot longer. Then maybe buying a house out here could be in reach.
The spanish flue went on for two years, so maybe this will also go for some time, but well like some very well know smart guy say it can disappear like a miracle in April.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been more ready to order livestock in my life. My tank is at capacity though.

I'd be ordering like crazy being home and able to properly acclimate and observe my specimen

Luca Borri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i just ordered some acans and lobophyllias. although the situations here in Italy are dramatic, shipping services work. I wanted to order some fish in Germany but the guy from the store at the moment advised me against possible delays

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spanish flue went on for two years, so maybe this will also go for some time, but well like some very well know smart guy say it can disappear like a miracle in April.

After reviewing the data from the diamond princess, there's no reason to think we can't use our long and hard fought for epidemiological knowledge to get this under control by summer. Nature published a nice condensed article on the diamond princess studies that you can read here, the full studies are in the citations.

Most politicians are not giving us the truth, despite having this data from a well controlled environment. In a normal population we're looking at 0.5-1% death rate, not the 17% currently posted on the coronavirus tracking website. And with proper isolation, it could very well be contained and eradicated after we reach a critical point where the majority of noncompliant individuals have recovered.

I know people like who they like and don't who they don't, but I'm sure you were referring to Trump. What I'd like to point out is that he has no gain in lying to people when they're already afraid. People like Cuomo, somebody with nothing to lose do. In all honesty the only thing I know about what Trump has actually done or said is that he enacted the federal defense act, which is a great move.. I've heard what people have been saying that he says though, and it sounds spot on with the science. Being the leader of the US affords you some very intelligent scientists to advise you on the matter. Cuomo has some smart people as well, but his desire to be worshiped outshines that. We watch him everyday since we live in New York and need to in order to stay up to date, and wow if you've never seen megalomania you should check him out.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ordering but no livestock just not bc of anything virus related it’s just bc none is needed. I am still ordering other needs for the tank. Universal precautions make it a “non-issue” or are least a low risk proposition. But they are lives that depend on us too.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing the data from the diamond princess, there's no reason to think we can't use our long and hard fought for epidemiological knowledge to get this under control by summer. Nature published a nice condensed article on the diamond princess studies that you can read here, the full studies are in the citations.

Most politicians are not giving us the truth, despite having this data from a well controlled environment. In a normal population we're looking at 0.5-1% death rate, not the 17% currently posted on the coronavirus tracking website. And with proper isolation, it could very well be contained and eradicated after we reach a critical point where the majority of noncompliant individuals have recovered.

I know people like who they like and don't who they don't, but I'm sure you were referring to Trump. What I'd like to point out is that he has no gain in lying to people when they're already afraid. People like Cuomo, somebody with nothing to lose do. In all honesty the only thing I know about what Trump has actually done or said is that he enacted the federal defense act, which is a great move..In all honesty the only thing I know about what Trump has actually done or said is that he enacted the federal defense act, which is a great move.. I've heard what people have been saying that he says though, and it sounds spot on with the science. Being the leader of the US affords you some very intelligent scientists to advise you on the matter. Cuomo has some smart people as well, but his desire to be worshiped outshines that. We watch him everyday since we live in New York and need to in order to stay up to date, and wow if you've never seen megalomania you should check him out.

“In all honesty the only thing I know about what Trump has actually done or said is that he enacted the federal defense act, which is a great move..”

With such an admitted lack of knowledge you might do well to avoid commenting on the topic... This isn’t the place to introduce such topic, and coming in 1/1000 cocked is inviting a sermon or worse. Don’t tempt me. As the mods will no doubt say, keep it on topic, either that or they’ll shut the thread down... Actually, I have a premonition that’ll be the outcome before long. Oh well, stay safe out there all!

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets all share the passion, wonders, trials and tribulations of our hobby. Stay safe and healthy everyone....

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping for the best and soon one day can spend freely without fear but right now although my job seems safe in a few weeks as this drags on is anyone's guess for many. Companies seem willing in many cases to keep people for a couple weeks and continue to pay them but in a month or two many will not be able to. To me that few hundred dollars spend now on non-essential items might better be served holding off just in case it is needed later this year regardless of whether shipping is delayed or is coming in on time. Hopefully it does not come to that but time will tell. Stay safe so this ends soon.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still ordering livestock. Place and received a CUC order within the past week and ordered some more livestock today. Stay safe, be smart, and reef on!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are pretty busy here at VCA, and most of our resellers (many fo them online retailers) are also reporting that they have good sales volume going, so I think quite a few reeferes are continuing to order online, and go into local stores, if they are still open :)

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some fish stuff yesterday w/ delivery date of April 17. Just got a confirmation that it will be delivered on Tuesday....not so delayed after all....
Also getting livestock from another online vender on Tuesday....Yes take all the precautions necessary and prudent but if we can afford it and have a decent job situation we have to keep supporting our suppliers or more people and businesses will be negatively impacted making matters worse. Changed my vote from other to “still ordering”...thx

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back