Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is easy. Shut off the switch and throw out all the guts in that fixture. Go to Home Depot, a hardware store, electrical supply or Amazon and buy a ballast for the size lamp you are using. It probably comes with lamp sockets but if it doesn't buy those also. There is a diagram on the ballast that is simple. Put that together and go out for a nice dinner. Maybe have some Merlot.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old ballast. No one and I mean no one has one I have called almost every lighting place on the internet. No one can match it and no one has any idea what to do. I’ll post the specs on it shortly. I wish it was as easy as you say. It’s 90 watt cfl

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is the fixture? What shape s it. I know no one will have that.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lectronic ballast one by one is the ballast for the light. The other ballast is the one I bought which lights about 1/6 of it. It’s a 36 inch bulb straight pin.

4C58B30A-3DBE-41D8-ACDC-75D548DACA94.jpeg

AAE2D647-D21B-47CB-99EB-646B109B81E1.jpeg

9D6A567E-F1C7-4881-9A79-A82B884D2593.jpeg

E0CD9D1C-E6DF-40F3-98A6-46861664C170.jpeg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be kidding me thank you so much what did I miss in the specs on the other ballast that was wrong and did not work

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun park one was a sure thing but you can’t buy it anymore the other one I’m not sure about the specs it’s something to do about the amps that it draws Paul you were an electrician with the Two ballast that I post pictures of why does the second one not work or have enough amps wattage power I’m not sure what does funny symbols mean

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure sure I talked to this ballast company and they said what they have won’t work.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can figure is the ballast you bought puts out 110 ma or miliamps less than your original ballast. I don't know if that would be enough to only make 1/6th of it light.
The original one is 960 ma and the one you bought is 850 ma. So it doesn't
put out enough power for your bulb. But I could be wrong because I am not sure how many ma's that lamp needs.
But I would call even for the one I linked.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in learned a bit more after I bought that one. I hope this one has enough. There were no details.

Thanks for the help. I have ordered the one you suggested. I have a lot of spare bulbs is the only reason I want to save this one lighting fixture.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but I alluded to call them first to see if it will work. It may be cheaper to buy a new fixture, especially if it doesn't work.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Champion lighting & supply specializes in aquatic lighting and is a member

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone will try to ask about that I bought another ballast that did not work I was just seeing if maybe one side of the bulb was being lit and not the other. There is a hot and a ground coming out of the ballast I was goofing around with it trying to see if maybe it was just not strong enough and would like one side of the bulb no big deal I thought the thing was scrapped at that point

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not how those work. A regular lamp has 2 pins on each end, a power compact is the same except all 4 are at the same end. It’s one lamp, not 2 (there is a pass-through between the two halves near the end opposite the pins)

Unless I’m totally wrong, that is. I’ve never tried to fire up one on only 2 pins

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Guys I have a question pretty familiar with home electrical and all I grew up in construction and had to learn all the trades as my Grandfather owned the Construction Company That did residential and commercial building everything from grading the lot to finish work. So I have ran my fair share of conduit, and insulated solid core wire as well as primary feeds lol! My question is I am going to put a dedicated circuit in for my 200gal reef Aquarium that I am currently in the process of building I know I need a GFI either at the box or the plug but I was thinking of running them in conjunction. Also would you run a 20amp 12-2 circuit or a 50amp 10-2?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Guys I have a question pretty familiar with home electrical and all I grew up in construction and had to learn all the trades as my Grandfather owned the Construction Company That did residential and commercial building everything from grading the lot to finish work. So I have ran my fair share of conduit, and insulated solid core wire as well as primary feeds lol! My question is I am going to put a dedicated circuit in for my 200gal reef Aquarium that I am currently in the process of building I know I need a GFI either at the box or the plug but I was thinking of running them in conjunction. Also would you run a 20amp 12-2 circuit or a 50amp 10-2?
I would run a 20 amp circuit. I wouldn't want a fault at my aquarium to pull 50+ amps prior to tripping.

You also aren't allowed to do this per the NEC. There are no 120V, 50A receptacles you can use. The receptacles must be rated to the breaker size.

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the Same thing but was kinda confused when I saw BRSTV for the electrical on the BRS160 and he talked about voltage load and he felt let a large aquarium like the 160 with lighting power heads, refugium lights return pump skimmer pump dosing pumps and apex would be pushing the voltage load of a 20amp circuit that was my main reason to run a dedicated circuit because the circuit it would be on has my entertainment system plus the lighting ceiling fan and my 55 gallon aquarium on it already so I didn’t want to plug in a vacuum and blow the circuit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back