Zan's CADE REEF 600 S2 Build

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Re: Your return pump - What % do you run it at?

I'm trying to plan out this tank and was looking at the same pump, do you find the pump to be adequate or too much? Honestly, I was looking at the 3.0 vs 6.0 and I see you went with the 7.0. I've never had a tank with a sump, so the pump under the tank is new to me and I can't really figure out how to calculate what size is appropriate for this tank.

Edit:
I have one more question...only if you have the time!

I'm looking at the Ultra Reef UKS-160 skimmer, but it is pretty large in comparison to this sump. The foot print is 7" X 9" and the height it 22" inches (plus I would need room to lift off the cup to remove the skimmer). It's hard to tell from the schematic how much clearance there is with the little shelf for the power supplies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zanthian

zanthian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Your return pump - What % do you run it at?

I'm trying to plan out this tank and was looking at the same pump, do you find the pump to be adequate or too much? Honestly, I was looking at the 3.0 vs 6.0 and I see you went with the 7.0. I've never had a tank with a sump, so the pump under the tank is new to me and I can't really figure out how to calculate what size is appropriate for this tank.

Edit:
I have one more question...only if you have the time!

I'm looking at the Ultra Reef UKS-160 skimmer, but it is pretty large in comparison to this sump. The foot print is 7" X 9" and the height it 22" inches (plus I would need room to lift off the cup to remove the skimmer). It's hard to tell from the schematic how much clearance there is with the little shelf for the power supplies.
I am running my return pump at 43% currently. I think you could step down to the 6. I happened to find a good deal on this one at the time. The cade tanks do come pre-plumbed with a two aux lines off your return pump. So if you leave a little bit of overhead, you can turn up the main pump and pull some of the flow for auxiliary items.

The little shelf doesn't interfere with my skimmer, it mostly covers the media basket area. It looks like the useable space on the left hand side without the shelf is 8 inches wide x14.5 inches length x 32 inches height.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you do anything special with your floor in preparation for this tank? I emailed algae barn to inquire how much this tank weighs and they told me the tank is 160 pounds, the stand about 168 pounds.

plus another near 600 in water, not to mention rock, sand and other equipment. Seems like this can easily be close to or over 1000 pounds in a 2 foot X 2 foot square.

I have a new home, but that just sounds like a lot of weight to me. Not sure at what point to be concerned about structural things.

OP
OP
zanthian

zanthian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do anything special with your floor in preparation for this tank? I emailed algae barn to inquire how much this tank weighs and they told me the tank is 160 pounds, the stand about 168 pounds.

plus another near 600 in water, not to mention rock, sand and other equipment. Seems like this can easily be close to or over 1000 pounds in a 2 foot X 2 foot square.

I have a new home, but that just sounds like a lot of weight to me. Not sure at what point to be concerned about structural things.
I didn't to anything special for the flooring. I have a house built in the 80s and the flooring and surrounding area has been fine. I think you should be fine with new construction.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank, any updates?
I’m adding a second Nero 3 to my Cade 600 and I’m trying to work out the best positioning, my current one is in the middle on the left. Does both your Nero’s give good flow with how you have them positioned? I’m even considering placing them both on the back wall, the dry side will be submerged obviously but this isn’t a problem from what I’ve read.

OP
OP
zanthian

zanthian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank, any updates?
I’m adding a second Nero 3 to my Cade 600 and I’m trying to work out the best positioning, my current one is in the middle on the left. Does both your Nero’s give good flow with how you have them positioned? I’m even considering placing them both on the back wall, the dry side will be submerged obviously but this isn’t a problem from what I’ve read.
Hey, thanks for checking it out. The tank has been doing well, but I did have an issue with dosing all for reef without testing enough and my alk got all the way up to 16 before I caught it. I have been working my way back down from that. I unfortunately lost a couple coral in the process, but the fish have all stayed healthy.

The two nero 3 pumps have done a great job, I keep them center high on the left and right wall, pointed at each other. I have them on random and with one mirroring the other. I find it helps get flow around the tank.

I think the back wall would be a more aesthetic choice, but I don't even "see" my pumps when I look at the tank anymore. I am mostly looking at the inhabitants. If you do put them on the back wall, I have seen some people just use a quality zip bag to put the magnet in the ato area.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to find another cade tank on the forum. I have a 600 and a 1200. The 12 is currently in storage until we move, everything got moved into the 6 in the meantime.

I would love to see an updated photo. I'm trying to avoid adding too much into mine right now since we'll be moving this year anyway. But man, does it feel empty and sad.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for checking it out. The tank has been doing well, but I did have an issue with dosing all for reef without testing enough and my alk got all the way up to 16 before I caught it. I have been working my way back down from that. I unfortunately lost a couple coral in the process, but the fish have all stayed healthy.

The two nero 3 pumps have done a great job, I keep them center high on the left and right wall, pointed at each other. I have them on random and with one mirroring the other. I find it helps get flow around the tank.

I think the back wall would be a more aesthetic choice, but I don't even "see" my pumps when I look at the tank anymore. I am mostly looking at the inhabitants. If you do put them on the back wall, I have seen some people just use a quality zip bag to put the magnet in the ato area.
Thanks for replying!
I agree about not seeing the Nero’s, they’re that small and the dry side is tiny so they don’t look out of place at all. I’ll put my second one opposite the first and see how it goes, the ziplock bag is also a great tip too!

OP
OP
zanthian

zanthian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always happy to find another cade tank on the forum. I have a 600 and a 1200. The 12 is currently in storage until we move, everything got moved into the 6 in the meantime.

I would love to see an updated photo. I'm trying to avoid adding too much into mine right now since we'll be moving this year anyway. But man, does it feel empty and sad.

Here are a couple of updated photos:
PXL_20230126_164032667.jpg
PXL_20230126_164119661.jpg

The clowns have chosen the larger leather in the back left to host. It got angry and split a baby off. I attached it in the back right now.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @zanthian:

Your set up and build thread are great! Recently started my set up of an S2 600 - love it so far. I have not added a skimmer yet. Was interested to know how you like the Octo Regal 150s you have? Is is quiet? This system is in a family room and silence is paramount. I have a 200 INT in my 120 sps system and I love it. I was also looking at the new eSsense 130. Thanks for the advice.

Best,

Greg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back