zeovit and how I dose it

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to lower nitrates. I have a 60 gallon, 6 months old. Lps and softy dominant. Nitrates are 10-15, phosphates .05.
.6liters of zeolite at about 60 gph
Currently running 3 hours on, 3 hours off

Dose
zeobak: 2 weeks at 2-3 drops every other day, then week 3 and 4 twice a week at 2-3 drops.

Zeostart: .5ml a day

zeofood: been overdosing so thinking half strength at 6 drops a day for 1st week, then 1 drop a day 2-3 times a week.

coral vitalizer: 4 drops 3 times a week

zeolife: 7ml every other day

biomate with coral snow: twice a week

I can’t seem to get rid of brown algae on sand. It’s the one that clears up every night. Too much zeo food made it a lot worse so going to try half strength.

I have been wanting to get my nitrates to 5-10 so I can maybe get some more sensitive sps. I’ve got stylo, lepto and a monti right now.

I have a lot of fish that are sized appropriately for this size tank. They will get bigger though. Essentially I wanted to do zeovit to be able to have a lot of coral and a lot of fish, and be able to feed a lot. Haha

question is how much does zeostart effect the nitrate? I have read that using too much, like the max dosage zeo recommends which is what I’m using, increases your nitrate. Would lowering zeostart to maybe 6 drops a day help lower nitrate? Am I overdosing at 10 drops? Possibly also clear up the sand bed?

I didn’t have any photos of my tank on my iPad so I took these quickly after lights off.

I also just added half the recommended amount of xport bio cubes and no3 cubes in sump hoping that may work. I was even thinking of using seachem de-nitrate in a bio reactor.

And should I start running zeo reactor full time? I read to do the 3 on 3 off if ur nitrates were too high. Been doing that for a month or so but I don’t think it’s helping

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to lower nitrates. I have a 60 gallon, 6 months old. Lps and softy dominant. Nitrates are 10-15, phosphates .05.
.6liters of zeolite at about 60 gph
Currently running 3 hours on, 3 hours off

Dose
zeobak: 2 weeks at 2-3 drops every other day, then week 3 and 4 twice a week at 2-3 drops.

Zeostart: .5ml a day

zeofood: been overdosing so thinking half strength at 6 drops a day for 1st week, then 1 drop a day 2-3 times a week.

coral vitalizer: 4 drops 3 times a week

zeolife: 7ml every other day

biomate with coral snow: twice a week

I can’t seem to get rid of brown algae on sand. It’s the one that clears up every night. Too much zeo food made it a lot worse so going to try half strength.

I have been wanting to get my nitrates to 5-10 so I can maybe get some more sensitive sps. I’ve got stylo, lepto and a monti right now.

I have a lot of fish that are sized appropriately for this size tank. They will get bigger though. Essentially I wanted to do zeovit to be able to have a lot of coral and a lot of fish, and be able to feed a lot. Haha

question is how much does zeostart effect the nitrate? I have read that using too much, like the max dosage zeo recommends which is what I’m using, increases your nitrate. Would lowering zeostart to maybe 6 drops a day help lower nitrate? Am I overdosing at 10 drops? Possibly also clear up the sand bed?

I didn’t have any photos of my tank on my iPad so I took these quickly after lights off.

I also just added half the recommended amount of xport bio cubes and no3 cubes in sump hoping that may work. I was even thinking of using seachem de-nitrate in a bio reactor.

And should I start running zeo reactor full time? I read to do the 3 on 3 off if ur nitrates were too high. Been doing that for a month or so but I don’t think it’s helping

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Hi,
ZeoStart is a carbon source. It feeds the bacteria which usually lowers nitrates. Overdosing ZeoStart can cause bacteria blooms, and excessive brown film algae on the glass from my experience. The dosing on the bottle is just a suggestion. In my situation I dose less then the recommendation as my system is close to 0 Ph and <1 nitrates.

Regarding the algae on your sand bed, from your description it sounds like it could be Dynos especially if they go away at night. They can be hard to get rid of. Lots of opinions on why you get dynos and how to git rid of them.

How long have you been running the Zeovit system? Since Zeovit is bacteria driven, it can take a little time for your tank to adjust. The reason for running your Zeovit reactor 3 hours on / off is to reduce the impact and slow the lowering of nitrates and phosphates. Base on how your tank is doing, you can try slowly lengthening the time on have the reactor on.

The best advice though is to go slow, limit the number of changes at any one time and observe what happens. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
ZeoStart is a carbon source. It feeds the bacteria which usually lowers nitrates. Overdosing ZeoStart can cause bacteria blooms, and excessive brown film algae on the glass from my experience. The dosing on the bottle is just a suggestion. In my situation I dose less then the recommendation as my system is close to 0 Ph and <1 nitrates.

Regarding the algae on your sand bed, from your description it sounds like it could be Dynos especially if they go away at night. They can be hard to get rid of. Lots of opinions on why you get dynos and how to git rid of them.

How long have you been running the Zeovit system? Since Zeovit is bacteria driven, it can take a little time for your tank to adjust. The reason for running your Zeovit reactor 3 hours on / off is to reduce the impact and slow the lowering of nitrates and phosphates. Base on how your tank is doing, you can try slowly lengthening the time on have the reactor on.

The best advice though is to go slow, limit the number of changes at any one time and observe what happens. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks! I’ve been testing nitrate 3 times a week for a while to find the issue. Tank is barely 6 months old so understandably it’s gonna take a while. I’ve since cut zeostart in half to 5 drops a day, spread over morning and evening. stopped zeo food. Changed reactor to always on. Did a water change last Saturday. Sunday nitrates were 9.6. Wednesday 9.3. Today 9.1. So it’s finally going down!!!! Haha. Usually it kept going up.

I’ve read a lot of forums online and browsed kz’s forum for high nitrates. Think I‘ve determined zeostart has nitrate in it to balance the bacterial consumption rate. Oceans are 16 to 1, no3 to po4. Home tanks are usually 10 to 1. And to dose zeostart based on your phosphate reading, not nitrate. It’s a carbon source but not like the stuff redsea sells. Least I think I read everything correctly but please let me know if I am wrong. Just a newbie that reads everything to find solutions. Haha.

so hoping numbers don’t crash too low as I have mostly LPS and softies. Phosphates went from .05 last Sunday to .04 today so gonna have to watch that if it keeps dropping.

Any advise on dosing kz’s 2 iodine bottles? I have both and dose each once a week, 3 drops. 60 gallons total. They tell you not to dose iodine the same day as zeobak, but after changing zeolite media you dose zeobak for 10 days straight. So am I waiting until after 10 days to dose either? my ICP numbers were pretty low when I was dosing 2 drops of each a week so I upped them to 3 drops. Haven’t done another ICP test lately as iv been doing large water changes for nitrate. Read somewhere I think the non organic one can be dosed more often. Not the organic. Will have to look later. Long week... having a Manhattan now. So my bad if I’m rambling…. Haha

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
I'm planning to start a zeovit tank (just have to find a cheap reactor).

Some questions from a newbie:
1. zeovit tanks are "famous" to crash in a couple of days, with no reason. Corals start to RTN and they are gone. Is that true?

2. which products could be safely dosed with a dosing pump ? On zeovit forum, they say only zeostart (after adding ro water)

tnx

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys.
I'm planning to start a zeovit tank (just have to find a cheap reactor).

Some questions from a newbie:
1. zeovit tanks are "famous" to crash in a couple of days, with no reason. Corals start to RTN and they are gone. Is that true?

2. which products could be safely dosed with a dosing pump ? On zeovit forum, they say only zeostart (after adding ro water)

tnx
Nothing good happen fast so u really need to let your tank mature before you add corals.
zeovit claimed that u can start putting corals in after 14 days but in reality its not. As far as dosing with doser u need to get a quality doser like GHL which can dose drops with accuracy then u can dose any additives from zeovit.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I hear ya. Thanks! I’ve been testing nitrate 3 times a week for a while to find the issue. Tank is barely 6 months old so understandably it’s gonna take a while. I’ve since cut zeostart in half to 5 drops a day, spread over morning and evening. stopped zeo food. Changed reactor to always on. Did a water change last Saturday. Sunday nitrates were 9.6. Wednesday 9.3. Today 9.1. So it’s finally going down!!!! Haha. Usually it kept going up.

I’ve read a lot of forums online and browsed kz’s forum for high nitrates. Think I‘ve determined zeostart has nitrate in it to balance the bacterial consumption rate. Oceans are 16 to 1, no3 to po4. Home tanks are usually 10 to 1. And to dose zeostart based on your phosphate reading, not nitrate. It’s a carbon source but not like the stuff redsea sells. Least I think I read everything correctly but please let me know if I am wrong. Just a newbie that reads everything to find solutions. Haha.

so hoping numbers don’t crash too low as I have mostly LPS and softies. Phosphates went from .05 last Sunday to .04 today so gonna have to watch that if it keeps dropping.

Any advise on dosing kz’s 2 iodine bottles? I have both and dose each once a week, 3 drops. 60 gallons total. They tell you not to dose iodine the same day as zeobak, but after changing zeolite media you dose zeobak for 10 days straight. So am I waiting until after 10 days to dose either? my ICP numbers were pretty low when I was dosing 2 drops of each a week so I upped them to 3 drops. Haven’t done another ICP test lately as iv been doing large water changes for nitrate. Read somewhere I think the non organic one can be dosed more often. Not the organic. Will have to look later. Long week... having a Manhattan now. So my bad if I’m rambling…. Haha
Do you use zeolite rock in your system? Zeolite absorb amonia therefore indirectly reduce nitrate.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys do you have a planner/software/spreadsheet to use as scheduler for zeovit ?
Something able to automatically plan the dosage day by day, in example: 0.4ml zeostart twice a day and it should add two dosage each day, every day and so on.

Actually I'm using Google Calendar, but it's totally manual

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone doing full zeovit but without water changes? (or with monthly changes)

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ycnibrc , I am not sure whether is has been covered here or not, but would you know approximately how many "drops" makes up 1ml.
I am trying to Automate, but the KZ_guide_easy_reefing just mentions dosage in drops.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @ycnibrc , I am not sure whether is has been covered here or not, but would you know approximately how many "drops" makes up 1ml.
I am trying to Automate, but the KZ_guide_easy_reefing just mentions dosage in drops.
20 drops per 1ml

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my new tank in September of 2021. I made full switch to Zeovit in December. The tank took about 6-8 weeks but was then looking awesome. No algae and corals were growing steady and nice coloring. I had a medical situation that got me away from my tank maintenance for about a month. My dosing regiment was not affected but water changes were stopped for four weeks, I didn't do any testing and I was late replacing my Zeo Stones. My algae free tank started getting the brown algae dusting on the sand bed and rocks, a small amount of GHA popped up here and there and most importantly, some of my corals started declining. Especially the plating montipora which started turning grey and one was overtaken by the brown diatom type algae. It's been four months since starting Zeovit System and I have been relying solely on water changes for trace elements. I tested my K and got 380. I've been maintaining it at 400/420 since the start. Depending on the test kit accuracy (Salifert), it could be lower. I sent out an ICP test which I am waiting for results. I've started adding K-Balance at 6 drops daily and testing daily. I am up to a reading of 400 now and the Montis are finally starting to show some slow recovery. One is still in bad shape. Most of the other sps while not as colorful as they were do not appear to be in bad decline. Tips on the bubble gum digi are white, not green, Walt Disney is more brownish with a slight amount of pink instead of the yellow/pink/green etc. There are three small colonies that are in trouble. the green slimer is bleaching at the top and another smooth skin is the same. My largest and fastest growing unknown keeps getting the brown algae all over the outside. I blow it off and it's back hours later. I'm quite new to sps so I'm not sure what I should do next. Normally, I just leave things alone and get water parameters back in range and let corals recover on their own. I have done a series of 15% water changes every other day for the last week. I have Flatworm Stop which I've heard is good for recovery. I have a batch of sps frags I was planning on adding this weekend after quaranting them for the 45 days, but thinking I should wait now. No3 is 8.9, Po4 is 0.04, alk is 7.7 (typically 7.4), Salinity is 33.0. The alk did shoot up to 8.3 during that period. Guessing because corals slowed growing. Should I cut off the bad parts of the sps or leave them alone?

Tank: IM 150 Lagoon
Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket
Lights: Kessil AP700, ATI Blue Plus (2), ATI Super Actinic (2)
Return Pump: Jaebo DC8000 with RFG
Circulation: Tunze 6055 (2) Tunze 6043 (1)
Substrate: 1.5" Carbsea Aragonite
Caribsea Life Rock (60 lb)
Live Gulf Rock (35 lb)

Zeovit System:
1.5L Zeo Stones replaced monthly
Flow through reactor: 150 +/- gph
6 drops Zeobak M-W-F (daily after Stone change 10 days)
6ml Zeo Start daily split morning & afternoon
6 drope Sponge Power M-W-F
Coral Snow 1 or 2 X weekly
15% Water Change weekly

22/04/2022:
Salinity: 33
Temp: 78
Ph: 8.15
No3: 8.9
Po4: 0.04
ALK: 7.7
K: 400
Calcium: 380
Mag: 1400

IMG_9951.jpg
IMG_9952.jpg
IMG_9953.jpg
IMG_9954.jpg

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started my new tank in September of 2021. I made full switch to Zeovit in December. The tank took about 6-8 weeks but was then looking awesome. No algae and corals were growing steady and nice coloring. I had a medical situation that got me away from my tank maintenance for about a month. My dosing regiment was not affected but water changes were stopped for four weeks, I didn't do any testing and I was late replacing my Zeo Stones. My algae free tank started getting the brown algae dusting on the sand bed and rocks, a small amount of GHA popped up here and there and most importantly, some of my corals started declining. Especially the plating montipora which started turning grey and one was overtaken by the brown diatom type algae. It's been four months since starting Zeovit System and I have been relying solely on water changes for trace elements. I tested my K and got 380. I've been maintaining it at 400/420 since the start. Depending on the test kit accuracy (Salifert), it could be lower. I sent out an ICP test which I am waiting for results. I've started adding K-Balance at 6 drops daily and testing daily. I am up to a reading of 400 now and the Montis are finally starting to show some slow recovery. One is still in bad shape. Most of the other sps while not as colorful as they were do not appear to be in bad decline. Tips on the bubble gum digi are white, not green, Walt Disney is more brownish with a slight amount of pink instead of the yellow/pink/green etc. There are three small colonies that are in trouble. the green slimer is bleaching at the top and another smooth skin is the same. My largest and fastest growing unknown keeps getting the brown algae all over the outside. I blow it off and it's back hours later. I'm quite new to sps so I'm not sure what I should do next. Normally, I just leave things alone and get water parameters back in range and let corals recover on their own. I have done a series of 15% water changes every other day for the last week. I have Flatworm Stop which I've heard is good for recovery. I have a batch of sps frags I was planning on adding this weekend after quaranting them for the 45 days, but thinking I should wait now. No3 is 8.9, Po4 is 0.04, alk is 7.7 (typically 7.4), Salinity is 33.0. The alk did shoot up to 8.3 during that period. Guessing because corals slowed growing. Should I cut off the bad parts of the sps or leave them alone?

Tank: IM 150 Lagoon
Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket
Lights: Kessil AP700, ATI Blue Plus (2), ATI Super Actinic (2)
Return Pump: Jaebo DC8000 with RFG
Circulation: Tunze 6055 (2) Tunze 6043 (1)
Substrate: 1.5" Carbsea Aragonite
Caribsea Life Rock (60 lb)
Live Gulf Rock (35 lb)

Zeovit System:
1.5L Zeo Stones replaced monthly
Flow through reactor: 150 +/- gph
6 drops Zeobak M-W-F (daily after Stone change 10 days)
6ml Zeo Start daily split morning & afternoon
6 drope Sponge Power M-W-F
Coral Snow 1 or 2 X weekly
15% Water Change weekly

22/04/2022:
Salinity: 33
Temp: 78
Ph: 8.15
No3: 8.9
Po4: 0.04
ALK: 7.7
K: 400
Calcium: 380
Mag: 1400

IMG_9951.jpg
IMG_9952.jpg
IMG_9953.jpg
IMG_9954.jpg
It will be better if u can frag the dead parts off and frag the colony and mount it separately from the main colony just in case the whole colony spread and rtn. If your tank is in the recovery mode stop dosing zeo and try to stabilize the alk, ca , mag, nitrate and phosphate. When u see your corals colors up and your tank is normal then start the zeo.

Jessefishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
((( zeovit system start 27/1/2020 )))
po4 : 0.592 ppm with HANNA
NH3/NH4 : zero
NO2 : 0.2 ppm
NO3 :60ppm
i feed two time a day frozen food and pellets

My tank: 85 g

My dosing
Zeolight : 750 g skimz reactor 360L/H

Zeostart3 everyday : 0.6 mL

Zeobak: twice a week (3 drop)

sponge power twice a week ( 3 drop )

Coral snow every other day ( 3 mL)
--------------------------------------------------------
Total :14 fish
1 rabbit fish add 8/2/2020 size 4 inch
1 zebra drat fish 8/2/2020 size small
2 maron 17/2/2020 size small
2 clown 25/2/2020 size small
1 triger 16/3/2020 size 2 inch
2 tang 26/3/2020 size 2 inch
4 pajama 15/4 size small
1 clean wrasse 15/4 size small

can i but coral with this high po4 and no2 ?
Too many fish for 85g system is why nitrates are high.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back