would love to get an Id on this Zoa

_DSC3909.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like daisy dukes to me. But the color seems like its taken under intense blues. I suspect under whiter light it will look like daisy dukes images you'll find googling.

OP
OP
Achilles

Achilles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like daisy dukes to me. But the color seems like its taken under intense blues. I suspect under whiter light it will look like daisy dukes images you'll find googling.

I see what you are saying when i comes to the pattern but the coloration is true to white light shot. It's an orange. Not Pink. Thanks for the thoughts though. Maybe it's somthing completely different than what's out already .

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not incorporate substrate into their stalks as all palys do. I can take a look again at mine this morning, but this would mean they are not palys.
Verified 100%, armor of gods are not palys. Here are the stalks of mine - smooth as a baby's butt. :D
Boom-4075.jpg

Now on the other hand, these are palys. You can see the rough skin where they incorporated substrate and debris into their stalk, etc.
575b0dcbccdc0574f22284b7fb14ea01.jpg

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verified 100%, armor of gods are not palys. Here are the stalks of mine - smooth as a baby's butt. :D
Boom-4075.jpg

Now on the other hand, these are palys. You can see the rough skin where they incorporated substrate and debris into their stalk, etc.
575b0dcbccdc0574f22284b7fb14ea01.jpg
There are like 96 known species of palythoa. They don't all encorperate substrate the same way.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are like 96 known species of palythoa. They don't all encorperate substrate the same way.
Here is a great article to read on the subject of Paly vs Zoa. :)

https://www.cflas.org/identifying-zoanthids/1786

Armor of Gods are Zoanthus Pulchellus. Definitely not a paly.

Distinguishing the Genus Palythoa from Zoanthus
Members of Zoanthus do not incorporate sand into their polyps, members of Palythoa do incorporate sand and other debris into their polyps. The confusion in the hobby is mostly from the incorrect usage of “Paly” to refer to individuals of the species Zoanthus gigantus, Zoanthus solanderi. This should be actively discouraged because it creates unnecessary confusion between the otherwise easily distinguished genera. The genus Protopalythoa is not a valid genus, with all of its members now assigned to Palythoa (see Reimer et al 2006a).

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a great article to read on the subject of Paly vs Zoa. :)

https://www.cflas.org/identifying-zoanthids/1786

Armor of Gods are Zoanthus Pulchellus. Definitely not a paly.

Distinguishing the Genus Palythoa from Zoanthus
Members of Zoanthus do not incorporate sand into their polyps, members of Palythoa do incorporate sand and other debris into their polyps. The confusion in the hobby is mostly from the incorrect usage of “Paly” to refer to individuals of the species Zoanthus gigantus, Zoanthus solanderi. This should be actively discouraged because it creates unnecessary confusion between the otherwise easily distinguished genera. The genus Protopalythoa is not a valid genus, with all of its members now assigned to Palythoa (see Reimer et al 2006a).
Learn something new everyday. Thanks boom corals!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back