Zoa vomit

BostonTerrierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, recently i bought a kessil light and everything has been growing like a dream but today after a water change my oldest zoanthid polyps were vomiting their zooxanthellae. These zoanthids everyday get better and better coloration. I suspect its from too much light. Is this normal? Should i leave the light intensity alone or try to acclimate the tank again to the higher lights ive started using?

Salinity 1.025
7.8 dkh
425 ppm calcium
8.2ph
78 degrees Fahrenheit
Zero ammonia
20 ish nitrate
0 nitrite

20210119_163128.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally its expel but also, they are light sensitive and as with most reef-building corals, they contain photosynthetic algae, called zooxanthellae, that live in their tissues. The corals and algae have a mutualistic relationship. The coral provides the algae with a protected environment and compounds they need for photosynthesis. In return, the algae produce oxygen and help the coral to remove wastes and what you see are the waste product
When installing new lights, always for at least 48-72 hours you the/an acclimation mode.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gobstopper colonies will do this from time to time all in unison. They shrivel up like they are dying and then are back to normal in a couple days.

They do this more frequently when I'm feeding them heavily. I'm guessing they are shedding waste and dead Zooanthalae from the increased metabolic load.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back