Zoas!?

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a brackish tank for about 4 years for my puffers (see image) and some unfortunate events led to them dying -_-. So I decided to convert to full salt. I got these zoas and they came out the first day or 2 when I got them. After I did a water change of about 20% they closed up. They’ve been closed for about 3 days. I put them in the sand bed and let the hermits clean them up and then peroxide dipped. I cut them off the plug today and glued them on. Crazy thing is they opened up when my nitrates were around 120-150 (due to puffers, and yes I know what I was doing.) and now they’re not showing me anything. Any ideas ? Besides levels, water flow, and lights? Need help asap, don’t want to lose them!

DE2D565A-A802-466E-B3E0-4A7556EBBE5C.png 1E577039-8569-46FB-8913-F6204A6362A2.jpeg 66D18E20-2DA8-40B2-9603-F98E3DE2F1F0.jpeg 900E4E00-6724-49B6-A77D-96D863097737.jpeg

Jibarra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure you are using rodi water. Then try a fresh water dip on them. Corals do not like hydrogen peroxide, not a very good dip. I’ve dipped zoa in 5% hydrogen peroxide and rodi water to get the hair algae off them and they closed up for a week or two. But are doing much better. Check you water parameters.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters are good. Only thing that changed is I’m at 1.023 instead of 1.026 and my nitrates are at the 20-30 range instead of the 120 range when they were opening up. I’m asking because I’m trying to get an outside idea besides all of the basics because I have gone over those. Oh and I had 2 led white lights when they opened. Now I have that marine dual blue and white. 74.7 temp

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You said all parameters are good so what are they we need to look at those? Reef tank parameter are different than fish only tank parameter. Sometime all parameters fish only tank are good doesn't mean will be good for reef setup. Also how long this tank have been running? It doesn't show coraline algea seem very new looking at the rocks

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’ve only been closed for 3 days I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Your tank is super duper cold for a reef tank. They should run between 78-80 degrees. I keep mine at 79. But anyway, zoas do that, a lot. I got some white zombies (higher end) that didn’t open for a full month when I moved them to my tank and they were fine. As long as they don’t start melting they’re probably ok. Zoa are pretty hard to kill. Other than Xenia or GSP most Zoa are prolly the best beginner friendly coral there is.

Edit: I’ve got some fire and ice that are similar to those. If you end up losing them let me know and I’ll send you some just pay for the shipping. If they’re similar to mine you literally cannot kill them.

D469570D-8D8D-43ED-9110-66565DF93B5B.jpeg

OP
OP
W

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I will get the other things tested tomorrow. I have to go pick up. And will turn the heat up now. Should I leave the blue lights on at night ? It is new my fish store won’t let me get coralline in any type of way so I can try and seed my tank. I took all of the old stuff out and ordered rock from Florida keys. I’m being patient but I want to make sure my corals are really healthy before any fish

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, take a breath! Let’s get this figured out :)

you said you did an H2O2 dip. I do not expect zoas to open for at least a week after that. The H2O2 kills anything it touches, which is why it’s effective against algae. It destroys the zoa’s slime coat and therefore, makes the zoa not open for several days while the slime regenerates. I H2O2 dip often as a way to clean zoa frags of bad algae and I recommend doing it, I’ve never lost a zoa because of this dip, but they do get pretty angry for several days.

On the plus side, the polyps themselves look very normal and healthy, which is great. Your hermits also didn’t eat them which is also very good because hermits will eat sick/dying/dead tissue so that’s a second sign that the zoas are healthy.

I think you just need to step back for a second and let them do their thing. If 10 days pass and they’re still not opening then I think it’s time to be concerned and maybe try an iodine dip

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea just give them time...buy a test kit for calcium and alkalinity and magnesium! API has one on Amazon for about $24 except it’s doesn’t contain a magnesium test. Also as for the tank display I know your fairly new but try to use 1 type of rock for the aesthetics of the tank and perhaps add a black wallpaper to the backside of the tank it will clean the look up. I would also get rid of that dragon stone rock 1 because it looks out of place and 2 it’s very sharp so it could harm your future fish! Idk that’s just my opinion on your scape I’m not trying to bash on you just simply want to give you some tips so your tank looks a bit more pleasing to the eye! Good luck!

OP
OP
W

WhySoSeriousDory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Went to get calcium and phosphate tests. Phosphates are way high and calcium is low. What’s my next step ?
Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back