Zoo Med 50 Gallon Low Boy Frag Tank

Foxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good video FishOfHex has of drilling these tanks:

Is there like a parts list from this build? (Specifically number of elbows and piping and drill bit sizes and pumps)

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there like a parts list from this build? (Specifically number of elbows and piping and drill bit sizes and pumps)

Not that I have seen. But it is pretty standard stuff. Get a couple 1" bulkheads, I would use a kit like this:

pl-kit1.jpg

I would also put an elbow on the one strainer (on the inside) to skim the surface, so that would add a small 1" pipe and a 1" 90 degree elbow to the list. The outside plumbs straight onto flex tubing into your sump. 1" bulkheads usually require a 1 3/4" hole (1.75").

Then I would just use a small return pump, 4-500GPH would be lots. Plumb that to hang over the opposite side of the tank.

FishOfHex uses an overflow box, which would eliminate the need for the bulkhead kit, but probably brings the cost up.

So far for the overflow:
2 x 1" Bulkhead Kit
1 x 1" 90 degree elbow
1 x 1" pipe, two inches long (use part of the pipe from below)
2 x pipe clamp
2 x 1" flex piping cut to the length to flow back to the sump

For the return, assuming the standpipe goes straight up and hangs over the rim using 90 degree elbows:
1 x 4-500GPH pump
1 x pump fitting to 1" flex pipe pipe
1 x 1" PVC pipe cut up to flow from the sump to hang over the edge
2 x pipe clamp
1 x 1" flex pipe barbed to threaded adaptor
1 x 1" PVC threaded to slip adaptor
3 x 1" 90 degree elbow
1 x PVC cement
1 x PVC primer (optional, but recommended)

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested in my Low Boy adventures and since I have to tear my systems down for almost a year, here is where I am thus far:

Both tanks on the bench. Sorry for the mess :p I would like to drop the lights 6-8 inches, but if I do, they will not spread across the entire tank. So, I will either add a third to each, or replace them with a DIY fixture to give me both spread and intensity. Both tanks are a bit sparse right now, I'm trying not to frag anything due to having to shut everything down for a while.
009.jpg

Here is the original. I didn't maintain it over the summer, so my grape macros took it over, you can see a giant clump remaining on the left side. The goal with this tank was to have a sandbed for corals that wouldn't work well with egg crate (brains, zoa rocks, that giant goni in the back). There is also a massive aptasia outbreak here, so there is a filefish in there, hopefully eating it.
010.jpg

This is the second one, also due to not maintaining it over the summer, it developed some sort of weird micro algae. The water went densely cloudy and started to harm the corals in there (25% loss I would guess). I completely drained it, fallowed the rocks in a bucket without light for a week or two, fired it back up and THE ALGAE CAME BACK! So I picked up a Green Killing Machine (small UV filter) and that fixed me up in about a week. This then caused a bunch of new tank mini-cycles, diatom blooms and such, basically looked like garbage for a few months, lost a bunch of single zoa polyps too (I couldn't keep up with blowing them off with the turkey baster). As of January it was going great, no signs of pests and everything looked good. Two weeks ago, aptasia sneaked its way in, bah! Using Aptasia-X, I managed to clear the bulk of it. The little box hanging in the front has a couple pepperminds in it to clean up the plugs I find with aptasia on it. Once I can't find any more plugs, I'll let them go in the tank. I have had to turn down purchases because of aptasia on the pieces, brutal. Better than being known for selling pests though...
011.jpg

All of this made me realize I should have some sort of ongoing mechanical filtration. Also the water surface was hard to see through so I wanted to have a surface skimmer. I experimented with building an internal overflow (i.e over flows into a reservoir and pumps back into the tank), but that ended up being too complex to fine tune. I randomly stumbled across a video of an HOB filter with a surface skimmer built in. Eventually, I found some cheap HOBs with a fancy T in the intake, as you can see below:
012.jpg

However, it didn't work very well. So a couple of trial 3D prints later, I removed the T and replace it with that white blocky looking thing. The block is hollow, with a hole on the bottom (smaller than the original design of the pump) and two holes on the top for the piping you can see. It works perfectly. I also added a small air stone (hence the tube), which oxygenates the water, as well as creates skimmate on the inside of the filter.
013.jpg

When I tore the second one down, I was super tempted to just bite the bullet and drill it. But, this method seems to be working well for me so far!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delgado was not involved in assembling my low boy. Back to the store for a replacement.
20190524_223555.jpg

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone to update this thread? I’m looking into upgrading from a biocube 29 to one of these low boys as a shallow reef. I appreciate it!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone to update this thread? I’m looking into upgrading from a biocube 29 to one of these low boys as a shallow reef. I appreciate it!
I love mine. I have icecap 1k's at each end and a couple small powerheads on the back wall pointed at the bottom.
20200504_184456.jpg

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. I have icecap 1k's at each end and a couple small powerheads on the back wall pointed at the bottom.
20200504_184456.jpg
Very pretty! I plan to make mine into my display tank. Yours looks like an awesome grow out tank! Is yours drilled? And how thick is the glass? I can get one of these from my LFS but there isn’t a ton of info online. Thanks :p

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pretty! I plan to make mine into my display tank. Yours looks like an awesome grow out tank! Is yours drilled? And how thick is the glass? I can get one of these from my LFS but there isn’t a ton of info online. Thanks :p
Thanks. I'm sure a shallow reef would be awesome in this lowboy too.
Not drilled, I use HOB overflow. (white box in left corner)
The glass is 1/4"
Make sure you inspect the seams on the glass well before you buy the tank. I had to bring the first one back because there was a pretty large gap in between the panels and I wasn't comfortable with it.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm sure a shallow reef would be awesome in this lowboy too.
Not drilled, I use HOB overflow. (white box in left corner)
The glass is 1/4"
Make sure you inspect the seams on the glass well before you buy the tank. I had to bring the first one back because there was a pretty large gap in between the panels and I wasn't comfortable with it.
Yeah, that’s one of the most common negative reviews I’ve seen. Unfortunately, my LFS will have to get this tank delivered so I will not be able to inspect beforehand. I’m glad the glass is slightly thicker than standard aquariums. Is the glass like plate glass or ultra clear? I’ve read that it is not tempered. Just want to fully consider my options before I go all in!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s one of the most common negative reviews I’ve seen. Unfortunately, my LFS will have to get this tank delivered so I will not be able to inspect beforehand. I’m glad the glass is slightly thicker than standard aquariums. Is the glass like plate glass or ultra clear? I’ve read that it is not tempered. Just want to fully consider my options before I go all in!
They had to do the same thing here. I asked the owner if I could open the box and check the seams. I pointed the problem seam out to the owner and he said not to worry. He will be able to send it back for credit.
I'm sure your LFS would do the same if you found an issue. Worth a shot anyway.

It's standard plate glass, can't expect low iron at that price lol.
Pretty sure it's not tempered, but never attempted drilling, so can't be sure.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had to do the same thing here. I asked the owner if I could open the box and check the seams. I pointed the problem seam out to the owner and he said not to worry. He will be able to send it back for credit.
I'm sure your LFS would do the same if you found an issue. Worth a shot anyway.

It's standard plate glass, can't expect low iron at that price lol.
Pretty sure it's not tempered, but never attempted drilling, so can't be sure.
I didn’t expect it would be ultra clear, but I was hopeful! It kind of surprises me that this tank size (36 or 48x24x 12-16) is not more readily available. Most I’ve found have to be custom built for the $600-$800 range. I know that’s not a terrible price, but I have to get a stand, sump, heater, and skimmer that will support a tank this size. I plan on building my own stand, just haven’t started yet because I’m not absolutely decided on dimensions. I currently have 2 noopsyche LEDs which have 24”x24” coverage, which is why I wanted the 36” Length tank to have a lighting overlap for higher light requirement corals in the center of the tank. It’s hard to be patient but I’m doing my best! Thank you all for your feedback.

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but anyone use these as a display tank? I like the dimensions.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but anyone use these as a display tank? I like the dimensions.

I mean, it's not that old :rolleyes:

That was @Strawberry's goal. Wonder if there are any updates on their tank?

I reworked the very first one into a small display tank. I threw a couple pictures up onto this thread:

Aside from surface agitation (preventing top-down viewing), it's pretty nice!

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it's not that old :rolleyes:

That was @Strawberry's goal. Wonder if there are any updates on their tank?

I reworked the very first one into a small display tank. I threw a couple pictures up onto this thread:

Aside from surface agitation (preventing top-down viewing), it's pretty nice!
I am purchasing equipment a little at a time because I know I will need a sump to keep the tank clean looking! I have a 48” Noopsyche p1802 LED hybrid t5 fixture and am still working on the stand :)

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my Low Boy today from the LFS, $119.98 in USA. Build thread starting soon, hoping to have it wet and running Christmas 2020!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back