Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones and other photosynthetic corals obtain their complement of Zooxanthellae from the water column in the wild. In many case , with stress Anemones can completely loose all of their Zooxanthellae. In case like this, we can jump-start the process by feeding them with live viable Zooxanthellae from another animal of the same species if at all possible. I have done multiple procedure like this in my 40 years of keeping reef aquarium. I like to document this here. This tread should help many reefers, some how ended up with a bleached anemone.
Tridacna farmers also feed new young clams by pulverize and adult clam and mixed it in the water of baby clam tanks. Baby clams will take these Zooxanthellae internally and establish their own Zooxanthellae population. This is a very straight forward procedure and very easy to perform as documented below.

1. Below is a small completely Bleached S. gigantea anemone I got from Petco. He is healthy in every way except completely bleached.
Zooxanthellae transplant 3.jpg

2. Obtained a tentacle from my healthy donor. Since my anemone is so small, I will just use a small piece of fish, and just use 1 tentacle. Gigantea are really sticky so getting a tentacles or two is not difficult. Zooxanthellae are puny little organism. We need to keep the condition stable for them to survive. If we don't they just die and we can do all of these for nothing. I learn to keep the tentacle in most solution. If the salt solution just dry out a little, the change in salinity will kill the Zooxanthellae. Keep them in small amount of tank water and use it quickly. Imagine just 20% of a tiny amount of water evaporated, the resulting shift in salinity of the salt water left behind can be drastic indeed.
Zooxanthellae transplant 1.jpg

3. Stuff the tentacle into a piece of food, salmon in this case. As with salinity, temperature shock can do the Zooxnthellae in. I would soak the salmon in tank water to keep the temperature up to tank temperature. Still cold or still frozen Salmon will not do. The ice crystal in the salmon can dilute the salt water in the tentacle, the temperature shock can kill the Zooxanthellae. Both of these problem can be solve by soak the salmon, or other fish in tank water until temperature equalized.
Zooxanthellae transplant 2.jpg

4. Picture of my anemone before I feed him the Zooxznthallae laced food was the first picture above. Bellow are pictures of him eating the Zooxanthellae food.
Zooxanthellae transplant 4.jpg

Zooxanthellae transplant 5.jpg

Zooxanthellae transplant 6.jpg

5. After about 2 weeks, you should see the first sign of Zooxanthellae repopulate the tentacles of the bleached anemone. It looks like the tentacles are getting "dirty" as show in the picture below
Zooxanthellae transplant 7.jpg

6. More Zooxanthellae
Zooxanthellae transplant 8.jpg

7. Finally a fully healthy S. gigantea
Zooxanthellae transplant 9.jpg

Awesome
Gigantea2019080303Multicolor.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest if you dont have a tenticle
Well, try to get a tentacle or else use a closely related animal. Another species of animal a the donor maybe successful, but obviously the same species would be better. Each coral or anemone carry a mixture of zooxanthellae, not just one species. It is possible that transplant with other animal may be successful.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar with my bleached magnificas. I took some excess zooxanthellae that was being expelled by a gold torch and I dispersed it into a 10 gallon tank with my bleached magnificas. About a month later and small blotches of zooxanthellae were seen populating in the tentacles.

It's hard for me to claim that's the definitive source of the zoox, and not just zoox that they obtained from the water column. Still, it seems to have sped up the process of zoox returning to the anemones.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a zoox product on the market that would do this.
Unlikely. Zooxanthellae are obligate symbiotic organism. They cannot do well without their host. They likely required very specific condition that are not easy replaceable. There is a scientific lab that culture Zooxanthellae that you can obtain them but they are transported overnight in very temperature control situation (not cold pack) In order to obtain a sample there are a lot of papers you got to sign include the disclaimer that these may not be Zooxanthellae you are looking for, and they are not cheap.
Get an over the shelf bottle ane put it into your tank is just like putting a dirty water bottle into your tank, IMO.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very quickly in about 4 weeks or so, you won't be able to tell if the anemone ever been bleached.

tenten900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say if you take a tentacle from a blue carpet to feed to a bleach out carpet would it also turn blue? Or would it just color back up to its original color?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Very cool I have also don’t this with success. I was talking to another local reefer here on Long Island who cultures zoos from sps corals you help with ones that come in bleached. And he was telling me that growing a zoo culture from anemones would be very easy compared to coral. So I’m thinking there is a way to culture an anemones zoos to then re add back into a tank at larger quantities. I’ve also had a group of 5 magnificas that we’re super bleached and now over a month later getting color back with no zoo transplants I’m thinking of just having a healthy Nem or the same species in the tank is enough to help with recolonization of the bleached Nem :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell bottled zooxanthellae now.... wouldn't that be a faster/easier option than using donor tentacles?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest if you dont have a tenticle
I have used green frogspawn tentacles on haddonis over the years and it has worked to bring them back from bleaching.

Also did this with mags that were severely bleached.

But I do agree with @OrionN about using the same species if possible. Seems to work much faster when a transplant is needed.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say if you take a tentacle from a blue carpet to feed to a bleach out carpet would it also turn blue? Or would it just color back up to its original color?
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Zooxanthellae are brownish color, not the vibrant colors of corals. The color of corals and anemones come from protein pigment of the animal itself

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This is very interesting. I never even realized you could transplant zooxanthellae.

I recently got a double head hammer that was totally bleached and one of the two heads are receding. I picked it up for free, figured I would see if I could get it to come back.

would it be wise to try to feed it a tentacle from another hammer? If so will it hurt other hammer to cut off a tentacle?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell bottled zooxanthellae now.... wouldn't that be a faster/easier option than using donor tentacles?
My answer from a previous post:
Unlikely. Zooxanthellae are obligate symbiotic organism. They cannot do well without their host. They likely required very specific condition that are not easy replaceable. There is a scientific lab that culture Zooxanthellae that you can obtain them but they are transported overnight in very temperature control situation (not cold pack) In order to obtain a sample there are a lot of papers you got to sign include the disclaimer that these may not be Zooxanthellae you are looking for, and they are not cheap.
Get an over the shelf bottle and put it into your tank is just like putting a dirty water bottle into your tank, IMO.
Wow. This is very interesting. I never even realized you could transplant zooxanthellae.

I recently got a double head hammer that was totally bleached and one of the two heads are receding. I picked it up for free, figured I would see if I could get it to come back.

would it be wise to try to feed it a tentacle from another hammer? If so will it hurt other hammer to cut off a tentacle?

If you can get it to eat, and give a piece of the good tentacle, you very likely get it to regain zooxanthellae quickly. Each bleached head need to be feed if the tissue does not connect them together.
Removing a small tentacle will not hurt a coral.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer from a previous post:
Get an over the shelf bottle and put it into your tank is just like putting a dirty water bottle into your tank, IMO.

So this stuff isn't worth trying on a bleached anemone or coral?

Overview
Available for the first time ever: a multi-species, pure, live Zooxanthellae culture! PhycoPure(TM) Zooxanthellae is a blend of LIVE zooxanthellae assembled for use as an aid for marine reef aquarium corals and clams. Aquarists have reported great results ranging from coral recovery from stress events to enhanced overall coral and clam coloration.
Zooxanthellae are the symbiotic microalgae that live in the tissue of numerous corals and clams. They consume waste produced by their host, coral/clam, and in return produce carbon in the form of a sugar that feeds the host. It has been documented that there is an exchange of zooxanthellae between corals/clams and their environment.
All strains are aquacultured, pathogen free, and cleansed of excess nutrients. PhycoPure Zooxanthellae is cultured in purified natural Atlantic Ocean water and should be refrigerated. PhycoPure Zooxanthellae has no preservatives, is not subjected to harsh processing steps, and is batch processed to ensure quality.
Great results will happen when you routinely spot feed 2-3 times per week or broadcast feed 1-2 capfuls per 10 gallons. Whenever possible, it is best to spot feed corals and filter feeding inverts from a small syringe or baster.
PhycoPure is cultured in purified natural Atlantic Ocean water and should be refrigerated. PhycoPure has no preservatives, is not subjected to harsh processing steps and is batch processed to ensure quality.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back