The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, from my perspective DSR is an "at home" Triton method. With Triton, you can get extremely accurate readings of parameters, and source very pure additives from a single supplier.

With DSR the method utilizes home test kits (higher error rates, and less parameters) and potentially home-made additives (although Glenn has supplied some to stores in his area, this is far different from having global distributors).

There are some other differences such as specific dosing recommendations (DSR recommends Iron and Triton does not, etc) but those are the main differences.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shep, from my perspective DSR is an "at home" Triton method. With Triton, you can get extremely accurate readings of parameters, and source very pure additives from a single supplier.

With DSR the method utilizes home test kits (higher error rates, and less parameters) and potentially home-made additives (although Glenn has supplied some to stores in his area, this is far different from having global distributors).

There are some other differences such as specific dosing recommendations (DSR recommends Iron and Triton does not, etc) but those are the main differences.
Thanks for the answer! That's kinda what I thought

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After quite a few heated debates at Zeewaterforum between proponents, opponents, moderators and admininistrators
the DSR Method was accepted as an official method to maintain water quality.

They provided a subforum for the fast growing amount of DSR Method users, to ask questions and share their experiences.

(Date 20/12/2014)
15447861454_49e868c122_c.jpg

DSR Methode

http://zeewaterforum.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?377-DSR-methode

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is the name of the subforum?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great work Glenn

Thanks.

I would not have come this far without the pioneer dutch user, who adopted the method in a early stadium. I want to thank them for their trust in me and the method. Although it was never my intention to do so, It is they who convinced me to make the knowledge available to others. They wanted others to experience what they found out themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can download the DSR calculator
version v.141122nib
This version only works with microsoft excel.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7Bl4pLrZYSdNjRpbDVZQVViMWs&usp=sha ring

15678031270_dc094f90b6_c.jpg

i build in some intelligence to deal with:
NO3 vs CarbonVS Dosing, with alarm when healthy boundaries are being crossed
PO4 vs Fe Dosing, with alarm when healthy boundaries are being crossed
Fe dosing volume is automatic adjusted when not dealing with PO4 reducing

Use the Download Button!
15246176974_3a8bdccc3d_c.jpg

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Glenn,

Congrats, its good to see this method being recognised as a valid way to run tank.

I've been thinking recently of starting to make my own sea water after reading that thats how you started, and I am certainly interested long term in trying the method in full.

I just want to clarify did you say that before starting to use this method did you say you recommend people PM you for the fine details? And regarding mixing my own sea water, are there any additions I can't use my own sources of chemicals for?

Thanks, Pete

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Glenn,

Congrats, its good to see this method being recognised as a valid way to run tank.

I've been thinking recently of starting to make my own sea water after reading that thats how you started, and I am certainly interested long term in trying the method in full.

I just want to clarify did you say that before starting to use this method did you say you recommend people PM you for the fine details? And regarding mixing my own sea water, are there any additions I can't use my own sources of chemicals for?

Thanks, Pete

Hi pete,
The thread on UR is obsolete and outdated.
After mij Tank thread on reefcentral was removed because of "advertising" the method, it became clear to me that my enthousiastic approach was not appreciated, so i abandonded all DSR related threads on most forums.
I only post on my own, sponsored and on forums which have the owners explicite approval. I have learned in this process and don't want to waste my time and energy posting somewhere, only te get it deleted by people who don't appreciate my insights.

The largest part of the succes in here is, that i made reefing this way very every easy and accesable for everyboy.
By sourcing and selecting chemicals and making it available through the proper channels, i freed up most of my time, instead of trying to source products for every individual willing to adopt my method.

The proper channels are the LFS in holland. Through them i make it available for a reasonable price. So everbody is happy . It's a win/win/win situation.

Lets say. I just love sourcing for uncommon solutions for uncommon problems.

I hope this clarifies it all for you.

If your you're interested you can look at www.seaflower.nl.
They have an english supported website (choose multi language symbol on top off the page).
Dennis and Erik have my trust in handling this the proper way for people outside the Netherlands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because i get questions all over the word,
I use a standard protocol for support questions, this saves a lot of questions back and forth .
This involves filling out the DSR calculator. This contains all information i need to evaluate your problem and come up with a possible solution.

1- Fill in the DSR Calculator (as much measured values as possible, not measured value should be filled with 'x' )
2- post a print screen of the DSR calculator
3- describe clearly what you problem is and what you desire for
4- please describe what stuff you dose daily or regularly
5- also mention when you apply biopellets, PO4 remover or any other stuff
6- place detailed pictures with your problem and also add a FTS and a sump/technics picture
when you have a tank thread place pictures there and link me to the according posting nr#.
To keep the DSR threads clear general DSR question can be ask at the DSR threads.
Tank related question in your own thread and sent me a pm to link me to the posting nr#
+++ When you have elevated PO4 or NO3 levels, please type in "0,001" ppm for measured iron level +++

how to make a printscreen on PC:
- open DSR calculator at full screen
- fill in all desired yellow fields
- zoom in the active field as optimal as possible
- press Shift + prtscr
- open paint paste it
- select area and use crop
- save document "name jj/mm/dd"
- Post it on the forum and save it for later reference.
finished !

example
12052871403_142d05bc29_z.jpg

please post readable and straight screenshot (800x600,png)
use www.picresize.com to resize the pictures to fit the screen
always mention which brand of test you used for testing, if you don't i need to ask again.
Read this before using the redsea potassium test:

http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=14.msg32#msg32

What you post with the DSR printscreen save a lot of typing for you and reading for me. A picture tells a thousand words.
When you communicate use ppm and not gram and ml. ppm are universal, grams and ml are only related to one tank volume.

Watch the movie how to use the calculator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFmHFQkJ1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Download the latest DSR Calculator here:
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=385.msg1177.msg#1177

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware when you use the redsea Potassium test !

11574272783_cdefb5571d_n.jpg
11574390974_33b5be196a.jpg

make sure titrant D of the potassium test is use above 25 degrees celcius. When that's not the case there will be visible crystals on the bottom of the bottle. This will make the test result unreliable and even future tests results will be affected, because the concentration of the titrant will not be the same anymore.
warm up the bottle before use. Place the bottle with tritrant D for 10 minutes into a pocket close to you body will do the job. The crystal must be dissolved completely, check this before use.

When crystal are present in reagent D the readout will be a "faulty" 260 -320ppm.

Please pay special attention to the reading of the potassium test
The amount of titrant used to turn the liquid to full blue should be used to read the chart. You will not be the first one who get it wrong by reading the liquid left.

Movie how the redsea potassium test should be carried out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9jQMgxQzw

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR calculator version v.141122nib
This version only works with microsoft excel.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7Bl4pLrZYSdNjRpbDVZQVViMWs&usp=sharing

15678031270_dc094f90b6_c.jpg

i build in some intelligence to deal with:
NO3 vs CarbonVS Dosing, with alarm when healthy boundaries are being crossed
PO4 vs Fe Dosing, with alarm when healthy boundaries are being crossed
Fe dosing volume is automatic adjusted when not dealing with PO4 reducing

Use the Download Button!
15246176974_3a8bdccc3d_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR Calculator Version 150218 Mn - Beta ! available for trail testing.

https://drive.google.com/folderview...gyczNYb2c0V1hfTEFHNlFLakw1azNsNXc&usp=sharing

16565350845_f7b50bacb4_c.jpg

improved water volume calculator and move to another tab
Correction dosing scheme added
data logging and graphics improved and error remove (thanks to contribution of Palmexotica)
new! PH+ support
links placed to the topics of the supplements
placed links to subjects which deserves extra attention to prevent overdosing.
removed minor errors
Should be working with openoffice.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back