Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh happy days!
549945085_bPyYG-L.jpg

UPS did a pretty good job on the box, but thankfully there was enough packing material to keep the skimmer safe and sound.

549945294_C5WSm-L.jpg

My wife.... I just missed "the look" that I got from getting our the camera to take pictures of my new toy, still in the box!

549945466_KScDe-L.jpg

Look! Instructions, in color even!

549945704_YGQKp-L.jpg

These parts came out of the main box just like this. In the bubble wrap is the air silencer, and the pump and base. Of course the PVC and GATE VALVE are on the right. GATE VALVE!!! I am thrilled to have a GATE VALVE!!!

549945910_Pf9Dx-L.jpg

The cone body, and the collection cup were in their own boxes inside the large box. The silicone hose is also in with the body of the skimmer.

549946131_v6pib-L.jpg

Fully assembled. The pump attaches to the skimmer using a piece of elastic rubber tubing, it is like a rubber band but much thicker. It is a very simple way to couple the different diameter dimensions of the pump output and the skimmer input. Very clever, and very simple.

Continued....

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I still see remnants of "that look." There might even be a little motion blur from her shaking her head.

Congrats on the new organic waste removal machine. Looks like it'll be a good one.

Gary

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sweet skimmer ... can't wait to see the nog it produces for you!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice skimmer man .. let us know how u like it :)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This next set of images is after about 24 hours of running.

549590975_TiCdk-L.jpg

This is the skimmer sitting in the sump at about 7 and 3/4" deep. Notice the output of the gate valve is just below the water level. This is EXCELLENT for noise. My last skimmer had the output above the water, this was just extra noise, and to make matters worse, it was metric schedule 80 that I could not find locally.

549594242_xfUVx-L.jpg

Check out the transition in the neck, TINY bubbles in the cone, larger bubbles in the neck, but ALL are moving up, straight up! I have not seen this in any of my previous skimmers, there was always some turbulence at the transition, NOT HERE!

549592151_XbrGs-L.jpg

This image shows the collection cup, and air silencer. This is my only nitpick, the silencer attaches to collection cup lid, making for an extra step to clean it. This is a very MINOR issue, it is only 1 thumb screw, but since it attaches to the lid, it must be removed to clean the cup.

The collection cup threads on to the skimmer body, it takes about 2 or 3 turns to fully seat the cup, I like this feature! I know that some may not, but it provides a positive seal, and takes less time then my previous MR-2 skimmer that had 8 nylon thumb screws that had to be loosened individually so I could remove the cup.

549593325_JWuyS-L.jpg

A full sump shot, you can see the fuge up top, the skimmer below, and just visible on the floor is my Ca Reactor.

In the first 24 hours the skimmer produced about 1/2" of dark skimmate, I would say that is a GREAT start as we all know that skimmers can take a little while to break in. I have not been downstairs yet this morning to check progress. My initial impressions are VERY GOOD of this skimmer, the fit and finish is excellent, the instructions are well written, and the GATE VALVE is a nice touch.

So far in my progression of skimmers, which started with a Skilter 400, this is by far the best. I will update this thread in a few days with more pictures of nasty skimmate I am sure.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I still see remnants of "that look." There might even be a little motion blur from her shaking her head.

Congrats on the new organic waste removal machine. Looks like it'll be a good one.

Gary

LOL! Thanks Gary, I have one image that was a fraction of a second before this one, but the flash did not fire and it is definitely blurry from someones motion. ;p

Looks like a sweet skimmer ... can't wait to see the nog it produces for you!

Thanks Sara, I can't either... That just sounds wrong doesn't it!

Very nice skimmer man .. let us know how u like it :)

I sure will!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks zebrashark!

There is over an inch of stinky nasty skimmate in the cup today, and the bubbles in the neck are MUCH smaller as this breaks in. I have to say, producing this amount of skimmate BEFORE the thing is even broken in is a testament to the design. The stepless neck, and the VBT are BOTH paying obvious dividends.

I will start lowering the water level in a day or 2 to darken the skimmate a little, I am almost afraid of what it is going to SMELL like! My wife might make me put in a FART fan... :D :D

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you raise it up in the sump? Also what size tank are you using this on? I have an ASM and i have been thinking about going to a cone more and more recently.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you need to adjust it for the first 2 weeks or so? once it pulls out the majority of the existing crap it should settle and darken on it's own possibly.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you raise it up in the sump? Also what size tank are you using this on? I have an ASM and i have been thinking about going to a cone more and more recently.

With in sump skimmers, they all have an optimal water depth they like to run in. My sump is almost 12" deep, and WM recommends a water depth in the range of 7-8". My last skimmer worked at 6" depth, so make sure to check and see what the manufacturer recommends.

As for the cones, I love em!

Do you think you need to adjust it for the first 2 weeks or so? once it pulls out the majority of the existing crap it should settle and darken on it's own possibly.

Well, I will have to adjust it some, the collection cup is 50% full today! Pictures to come later...

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some NOG shots! I turned the skimmer off to clean it, check this out!

552863816_Eq8yo-L.jpg

Then I turned the skimmer back on, just to show the bubbles! It looks like MILK in there doesn't it?

552864288_2EYKX-L-1.jpg

And finally a shot of the bubbles with the collection cup off:

552864606_kUNzy-L-1.jpg

It almost looks like shaving foam doesn't it?

After I cleaned out the skimmer and came upstairs the Mrs asked what the heck I did, WHAT STINKS SO BAD!!??? I we had to open windows, and I turned on the bathroom fan! That fart fan is going to get added to the basement sooner, rather then later I am sure!

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and i will check to see where mine should be. What size sump do you have it in right now?

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back