“Testing” for flow

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious... how do you know if you have the right flow? I honestly do not know...

What I have been doing is this. 2 things really... maybe 3

I watch floating particles for movement across and around my tank. I look fo particles that don’t move. I don’t mind if I see them caught in an eddy... swirling around... they are moving.

I watch food distribution when I feed. ...are their empty spots that don’t get food... (Not in my tank: )

I have been doing a “net test” I have a small net I used for feeding (draining off liquids when the frozen foods thaw). When it is empty, it shows me how the water is moving... and how well. I put it next to each of the places I have an SPS species to see if the net stays “full” It is a good indication of water moving well near a coral.

Am I on the right track here?

(I started. 2nd tread,... I screwed up the title and coins not edit it)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at the polyps and as long as they are always moving and not constant in one direction I call the flow good. Also is how much detritus builds up on the bottom of the tank. I use 2 MP40’s at the back bottom corners to keep it all suspended. Bare bottom helps and I would never do sand again. Tank just stays so much cleaner

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at the polyps and as long as they are always moving and not constant in one direction I call the flow good. Also is how much detritus builds up on the bottom of the tank. I use 2 MP40’s at the back bottom corners to keep it all suspended. Bare bottom helps and I would never do sand again. Tank just stays so much cleaner
I like my sand : ) I get it... it’s really is just aesthetic... sort of.... conches, elephant snail.... my goby... they like it. Sand offers species, “no sand doesn’t offer...”

...”not constantly the same direction“... I hadn’t thought of that : )

Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back